Just when you think people can't get any dumber . .

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by SPDSNYPR, Dec 31, 2009.

1. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Cops getting ambushed on routine calls seems to be on the upswing. And you hear about it on the news quite a bit. It's not a secret. I'm sure most people have heard about it.

So - with that in mind, you would think most reasonable people would think their actions through around us. Oh, no. You've always got to have "that guy".

Last night I get a call of a harassment investigation at some ****hole apartments in town. Something about one neighbor taking pictures of another neighbor. You think "who ****ing cares?" on the way. But the brief description of additional info they give you on the MDT makes you think someone involved might be a little crazy.

I was litterally around the corner - me and the Sgt having just finished dinner. She backs me since she's close, and as we're approaching, I comment on how something's off and this has disaster written all over it. We laugh.

Bad approach because of the layout of the place and the huge snowdrift funneling us. But it's just a harassment call, so no big deal that there is not a lot of room to move.

I knock on the door of the tiny apartment . . . . . . . . . nothing. Weird. I knock again, and see something move in a gap on the cardboard that's covering the windows of the front door. OK - someone's coming. But something seems wrong - don't know what.

Door knob moves, and door opens inward. First thing I see is a Glock 17 in the hand of the guy answering the door. He's holding it down at an angle in front of him, and it has one of those 33 round mags in it and some sort of laser sight on the rail. I don't even really see the guy holding it as I'm drawing and yelling "gun." My Sgt is right behing me, so moving would just expose her and I could only go maybe a foot either way anyway.

So I move forward - not really thinking per se but I guess just planning on putting my muzzle on an eyeball and shooting until the threat's gone. I'm still locked on the gun with my eyes. The guy drops it pretty damned fast. Like ninja fast. I finally look at him and he looks shocked. I backed up, and ordered him and his girlfriend (who was right behind him) out of the apartment at gunpoint. They comply, but the GF tries to shut the door as she's coming out. I yell something angry at her, and she stops with the door almost shut and comes out. Sgt has them, so I push open the door and quickly clear the tiny apartment. I remove the full 33 round mag from the Glock and stow it.

Search both, and nothing else. Turns out, this was the RP. He's just overly paranoid, and hours earlier he decided he didn't like his neighbor (who he says is crazy) taking pictures of him outside. He calls landlord, landlord tells him nothing he can do. He then calls us, and then decides to have a gun in his hand in case he's attacked by his neighbor (who has never threatened him with violence, ever) in those long two minutes it took us to get there. He just cannot see how he's done anything wrong, and he's got his second ammendment rights and he needs to protect himself from his 'crazy' neighbor (who he still can't articulate has done anything illegal or threatening in any way). Our RP is a CCW holder, btw.

I just don't understand what the **** goes through some people's minds when they call us. He thought we'd be happy to see some guy we don't know answer the door with a loaded gun pointed in our general direction (but not AT us as he pointed out)? He's just never got how we could think he's a threat . . . he's the one who called! I doubt he ever will get it.

Some people really are too stupid to have guns. He almost got himself dead for no reason at all. And I was pissed the rest of the night.

If you're reading this, and don't see that the guy did anything wrong, please - don't call the cops. Ever.

2. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

Was it painted orange? Because then it would have been fine for him to answer the door that way. :whistling:

Thank God you and your Sargent are all right...

3. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Well congratulations on coming out of it alive, both you and your back up. Also, congratulations on giving the guy a lesson in reality. I truly wonder if he will get it?

4. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Ah yes, those people.

5. Napalm561

Napalm561

AHH! Sounds like good times were had by all!

glad you and your Sgt. are all good.:2gun:

6. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Gosh, funny in a not-so-funny way how this connection keeps coming up.

SPDSNYPR, glad you and your Sgt are okay.

7. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

You forgot to finish the story.

He went to jail for........................................

?????????????

8. glock192327

glock192327 Where is eye

Really a shame this doofus couldn't be arrested for something, just for a good lesson in stupidity. Glad you're ok. But are you sure you weren't in TN for the night? Sounds a lot like the orange tip dip****.

9. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Didn't. Presenting it to the DA as a reckless handling case, but doubt it'll get filed (handling a firearm in a manner which is likely to cause injury or death). Best I could do.

Woulda been much happier just to slap a little sense into him or a good wood shampoo.

10. merlynusn

merlynusn

Glad you're okay. There is definitely something in the water lately....

11. BMPregler

BMPregler

12. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

Dayum! :shocked: Just, damn. Glad you're okay.

13. ZGXtreme

ZGXtreme

I'm guessing "40 North."

14. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Glad you're okay man. Some real morons on the street.

15. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

So, what you're saying is: he should have answered the door with a rifle and let his girlfriend have the pistol?

16. GPalmer

GPalmer CLM

Sorry you went through that but I think all people believe they occupy a special place in the World. Along the lines of "It's me, why would the telepathic LEO not know I'm not to be feared?

17. Vigilant

Vigilant

18. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

no no no no no no

19. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Maybe it WAS him. :shocked::wow:

20. Vigilant

Vigilant

It wasn't me, Russ. It was my nephew Merle, I SWEAR! :supergrin: