Just tried the GIMP again... Love it!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Furant, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

After several failed attempts of trying the Gimp, I just installed Gimp 2.4 RC3. Man, has it come a long way!!!

It now has a healing brush, it allows you to resize your brushes on the fly with the bracket ([ and ]) hotkeys. I love the dynamic hotkeys also that let you just reassign hotkeys by selecting the menu item and pressing a key sequence.

IMO, Gimp has always had masking and channel tools beyond my abilities, but now the UI is becoming MUCH more friendly.

I know the limitations about 8bit color depth and CMYK colorspaces, but for just reworking digital images, I think I've found a new tool.

Now to start working my way through the myriad of on-line tutorials and start writing my own scripts.

You go Open Source community!!!

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

CinePaint is suppose to be a professional quality program based on Gimp that is suppose to directly compare with Photoshop for quality.

Pixel is based on Gimp and is suppose to have an interface that looks and acts more like Photoshop.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

There's also GIMPShop, which is GIMP with Photoshops' familiar controls.

I'm not a hardcore photo guy, but whenever I've needed to do something, GIMP has always worked well, although sometimes its been tough to figure out how I wanted to do something.

IGF

5. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

I tried GimpShop, but it's a couple builds behind. Plus, with the dynamic menus, it's easier for me to just create or modify the shortcuts I want and use on the fly.

Pixel looks impressive, but I don't think it can be based upon the Gimp without also being open source, or am I understanding the GNU licensing incorrectly?

I may have to play with Cinepaint if and when I ever convert my parents' old 8mm to DVD. But to be honest, I'll probably just use Sony Vegas and leave the quality as is.

Thanks guys.

6. gmachine

gmachine

I work in design/advertising and use Photoshop and most of the other Adobe software at work. It's great stuff, just expensive.

For things i do on my home computer, I find the Gimp to be great.

I usually just stick to the regular Gimp interface. I've tried GimpShop and it is more similar to Photoshop and nice when you're first learning the program if you have a Photoshop background. I still prefer the standard Gimp version.

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

I have The Gimp in Linux. I use it sometimes but not very often. I don't have the latest version but I have noticed that each newer version gets better.