GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
It was a bad pandemic for sure. My doctor read up on it this summer what with the COVID pandemic to see what the similarities were. He said it was remarkably the same. They had masks, isolation, shut downs, and people unhappy with those things.

·
Registered
19,099 Posts
Both sets of grandparents lived through the Spanish Flu pandemic. They were either in their early teens to their mid twenties.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
It was the favourite subject of my biochemistry professor at Fordham. He lived through it, first in Europe as an Army Officer and then when he came home.
He would talk about it at every opportunity. He said every guy he had ever lifted a glass with and every girl he had kissed , or wanted to, died.
His most often stated comment when telling us about the flu pandemic; “If you want to have a strong immune system, RIDE THE SUBWAY EVERY DAY.”
He was a religious brother, wore the rough wool clothing, he had a lab adjoining Jonas Salk at Rockefeller University on the east side of Manhattan.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
It was a bad pandemic for sure. My doctor read up on it this summer what with the COVID pandemic to see what the similarities were. He said it was remarkably the same. They had masks, isolation, shut downs, and people unhappy with those things.
But it was significantly more deadly.

·
It can be done
7,597 Posts
All that mask wearing contributed to the high mortality, people died of bacterial pneumonia and not the flu.

Today, since they would have a positive test for the Chinese flu, we would claim they were a flu death and not a bacterial pneumonia death.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My grandmother's sister died from it but everyone else survived.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,266 Posts
All that mask wearing contributed to the high mortality, people died of bacterial pneumonia and not the flu.

Today, since they would have a positive test for the Chinese flu, we would claim they were a flu death and not a bacterial pneumonia death.
This is what people thought for years afterwards due to the symptoms, but it turned out they where mistaken. The flu was the actual killer. It targeted the lungs in a way striking similar to bacterial pneumonia.

H1N1 was reconstructed in the lab in 2005 and then very carefully studied. It looks to have been of a mammalian (probably swine) flue origin that picked up HA genes from bird flue. The HA gene made it 100 times more lethal than other flues examined in mice.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
This is what people thought for years afterwards due to the symptoms, but it turned out they where mistaken. The flu was the actual killer. It targeted the lungs in a way striking similar to bacterial pneumonia.

H1N1 was reconstructed in the lab in 2005 and then very carefully studied. It looks to have been of a mammalian (probably swine) flue origin that picked up HA genes from bird flue. The HA gene made it 100 times more lethal than other flues examined in mice.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html
In the 1990s and 2000s there are anti biotic resistant pneumonia.

Patients get ill with the flu. Progress to pneumonia, infection spread . Death from the infection cause cardiac failure due to non control heart rate.

Death certificate pneumonia.

·
It ain't over
8,035 Posts
Patients get ill with the flu. Progress to pneumonia, infection spread . Death from the infection cause cardiac failure due to non control heart rate.

Death certificate pneumonia.[/QUOTE]

I was in the hospital a couple of years ago - ICU for 17 days. After recovery I got a copy of the medical report. They had me on fentanyl for days. First Oxy - higher and higher doses to build up immunity. Then fentanyl. I was unconscious the entire time.

I asked them why pain killers? They said my heart rate and BP increased to levels that they feared a stroke or heart attack. I don't remember seeing that I had pneumonia - I think it was acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). This is similar to Coronavirus. I know they were using 'proning therapy' on me. I'd explain what it is - but just Google it and you'll see. They had me taped down so I wouldn't pull my tubes out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts