close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just suffered through AZ big game draw

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Patricia, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart CLM Millennium Member

Tuesday the 8th was the original deadline to put in for the big game fall draw here in AZ. The Game & Fish website had such major problems that they postponed it twice. Took me an hour and 15 minutes (with a high speed connection) to get our entries in. Anyway, wish me luck. I won't know for another month or so if we get drawn. We didn't get drawn last year and I was pretty bummed. You people that live in states where you don't have to do this are darn lucky. :)

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I'll root for you if you root for me. ;f I should have enough points on elk that this will be the year. I'm crossing my fingers. The deer and bear tags shouldn't be too hard to get.

3. Cicero

Cicero

Lucky. Right. That's why I regularly blow $1500 for an out of state elk tag & travel to AZ every 2 or three years. You all have the best hunting experience of any state I've ever hunted. Your elk are huge - my last hunt (cow tag) I saw nothing but 10/11 pointers on up with massive racks. There's mulies all over the place, and javelina are really cool in your handgun / archery / muzzleloader season. Where I live, you have a .05% chance (5 hundredths of one percent) of getting drawn for an elk tag. And the hunting is virtually all stationary.

The only thing I don't like about AZ is that you have some real *****(*%#'s on quads out there. I've been shot at once by a moron who quaded up to the arroyo where we'd parked our truck and set up sandbags on the hood of our truck. Apparently, he didn't realize that elk typically don't wear blaze orange. Another AZ yahoo shadowed me from a ridgeline while I hunted below in the flats, intending to shoot anything that moved away from me.

4. Patricia

Deal. ;f We didn't put in for Elk, just deer. Three of us put in together but only one person had a point, so I'm not sure if that will help or not. I found out that when you apply online, and choose the option of only getting a license if you are succesful, you don't receive any bonus points. I think that sucks. Would you mind sharing the areas you put in for? You could send me a PM if you would rather.

5. Patricia

Cicero, what I meant about lucky is that first you have to get drawn, then you have to get a deer. We did get drawn two years ago, in what we thought was a great area, but didn't see one single deer. There are folks that live in states that can buy a tag across the counter and have no problem stocking their freezers with deer and elk. I've never hunted in any other state, but from what I've heard, there are better states for hunting.

I did hear that the biggest elk on record was taken in the Williams area, about 30 miles from where we live in Flagstaff.

You are right though, this is a great state. I can go down the block, and across the street, be in the forest, and see all kinds of wildlife. Never seem to see that same wildlife during their seasons though. ;f

Fortunately, we have not yet run across any unscrupulous hunters. We've never used quads for hunting, and I think I'd rather not.

6. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I put in for area 22 for all three. Most of the section, and the area that I plan to hunt, is the Mazatzal Wilderness Area. It's a nasty, remote place 252,000 acres large, with it's own set of mountains (6000-8000ft elevation) West of Payson. It's my favorite outdoor spot in AZ.

There are some day hikers on the first couple miles of trail every once in a while, but I've spent 9 days up there an never saw a soul. It doesn't get hunted very much. You'd have to be an idiot try packing an animal out of there. :) I can haul a deer out on my own, but for the elk one of my coyote hunting buddies will come up and help me with a couple mules.

OH is a lot easier to hunt deer. You can get a tag at the local drug store. Plus there's about a zillion of them, so finding one to shoot isn't hard. It's actually so easy it's more like going to the garden and picking tomatoes. I know a guy who woke up opening day to head out to the stand and ended up shooting a deer in his PJ's from his bedroom window! I like the AZ hunting. All the work makes things much sweeter at the end.

7. Patricia

REALLY?!?!? Would you be willing to send me more info on that? If we don't get drawn in our areas, I'd be most interested. :) :)

8. Patricia

It just occured to me that you are probably talking about archery tags? That's the only kind that I know of that you can buy over the counter.

9. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Achery, shotgun doesn't matter. Ohio is so overpopulated with deer they hand them out like candy. In '03 I think they took somewhere in the realm of 500,000 deer in the state with general hunting, then did overpopulation hunts and STILL have too many. There are more deer in Ohio right now than there were in the 1700's and many more houses.

My uncle shoots them under a pest permit at an apple orchard. He kills between 100-150 a year, but the owner of the orchard still loses a lot to damage. What he does helps and the local food kitchens are full of venison so it's still a good deal.

Archery season there is starts earlier and is a challenge, but by the 3rd day of gun season the deer have been pushed around into all the areas that aren't being hunted. By the end of the week the field and woods behind my godfather's house will have at least 20-30 in there. The past few years he's been getting more because of new houses going in. Picture an area about the size of the main range at Ben Avery with 25 deer and you know where and when they're going to come out of the woods.

I'll bet in the next few years Ohio Game and Fish is going to get smart and drop the price on out of state deer tags. Right now it's cheaper to have my dad ship me a big box of jerky than go there myself.

10. Patricia

;J ;J When you said OH, I thought you meant Oh as in "oh yeah". ;J ;J Time for my smart pills. ;f

I'd love to go to OHIO (;)) and hunt sometime. :)

11. Cicero

Cicero

Where do you live in Flag? I hunt with my uncle, who lives on the Northwest side of town. I just got my last cow elk - about 400 pounds on the hoof - in Coconino this last December. IMO, one of the most beautiful places in the country.

I do feely your pain on the lottery, though. Sorry if my wry , semi-sarcastic humor didn't come through on the last post. Actually, my aunt also had an elk tag and came home empty on our last hunt, and my uncle was so concerned about some intricate rules of the lottery system that he had to go for points this year and just act as our guide / porter.

On the Ohio front, my uncle has started coming out east for deer hunts because the draws have been getting so tough. Non-resident tags run about $90-$120, which is pretty cheap compared to AZ out of state rates. Apparently, you all are ramping up to another 15-20 years of very serious drought. According to my uncle, the latest figures show that the elk and deer herds are way down and getting worse. Bummer.

12. Cicero

Cicero

1. I love hunting Mazatzal as well. I've only done javelina HAM hunts there, I think in units 23 & 24 (around Lake Roosevelt?). On my first HAM hunt out there, I didn't see any other hunters. On my second, we were tripping all over quads & jackasses. I've also hunted 7E, which is great for having significant elevation and ecological variation, and White Mountain in Coconino which was filled with both people and elk.

(2) Unfortunately, I haven't had your experiences in Ohio, but only because I get back there just for the late December muzzleloader season. I almost always see something, but rarely can tag a deer. The deer are very big in the SE part of the state, though.

13. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

Back home in Oregon they have two different rifle deer seasons, a general season (west of the cascades) and a controlled season (lottery system used to be $3 or something like that for each hunt series, for east of the cascades), so you can usally hunt no matter what, just dont get to hunt the mule deer every year, unless you bowhunt. I've never been able to draw a controled tag, they only allow so many tags per unit somet times there like 12,000 people applying for 100 tags, they have a book that comes out every year with the percentages of getting tag, and the hunter sucess rate. I think controlled or lotto hunts are common in the west. I miss all the public land back home, not sure i will hunt in nc cause of all the private land, and the idea of having to lease hunting land doesnt float my boat.

14. Patricia

We live right behind the Mormon Lake Ranger Station. We decided not to put in for elk this year, mostly because we are so busy that it will be tough enough to take the time off for deer season. The elk are nice size out here though.

Tag numbers that will be issued for this year were way down from last years, which were down from the year before that. It is so dry up here right now. I'm worried about what this area will be like with another 10 years of drought.

We do a lot of hiking around these parts and I've seen deer and elk aplenty. It's funny, but I think they known when their season is in, even before the first shots are fired.

;f