close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just starting out, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by havensal, Apr 5, 2007.

1. havensal

havensal Senior Nozzle Jockey CLM

I just got my new Canon A630 Tuesday, so I figured I would take it for a walk and test it out. The weather wasn't the best, very overcast, almost raining.

Here are a few I took. I used Gimp to bring out the colors a little bit better.

Please let me know what you like, dislike. I am just getting started in the whole photography stuff.

As you can tell I like nature photography the best.

Here is the original.
    [​IMG]

This has been Gimped.
    [​IMG]

This looks closer to what I remember the scene actually looking like. The only good result of the overcast sky's is I can decrease the shutter speed to get the water flow better. I like the "milky" look. :thumbsup: :)

2. havensal

Here are another pair I liked.

Original
    [​IMG]

Gimped
    [​IMG]

It looks like I adjusted the hue a little to much and whitened it to much. What do you think?

3. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    [​IMG]

With my tweaks

4. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

The composition is great. The execution is great. The gimping is not so great. The originals look better to me(art is in the eye of the viewer as well as the creator) but lacked the strong contrast that I love. The BadOne nailed it. Great shots to be sure, and with a P&S to boot. Good work.

One other little thing, the little twig in the very first shot is very distracting.

5. havensal

Thanks. This was the first time I ever used Gimp. I still have a lot of learning to do. All of the originals looked to dark and dreary to me. But like you said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

The next sunny day I am going to try them again and see it the results are better.

6. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

havensal, The lighting is perfect. strong lighting can increase contrast for sure, but cloudy days are like a huge light diffuser, wonderful lighting! The Gimp versions are too green TO ME, but may be perfect for you. I always listen to what people say about my images because it may give me pause about some issue or other I didnt consider...but your shots are YOURS, no one elses.

Post processing is where you really create strong images. If you get the right exposure and DOF, the rest is cake. Thebadone used post processing to create a strong contrast and sharpness while leaving the dreamy water alone. With digital, making an image your own is as easy as learning how to tweak. The twig could be removed in PS very easily, and no it's not "cheating", it's creating the image that you want.

These are great shots, please dont think I mean otherwise.

My version of your first shot. No twigs :)

[​IMG]

7. havensal

I was playing with the manual focus and doing some macro shots. Here is one that turnded out pretty good.

I still need a lot of practice, both with the camera and with photoshop.

[​IMG]

It looks pretty clear, but I don't like the colors that much. The one on the right is a yellow tip and the next is white.

I think it is because of the lighting, but I haven't gotten a diffuser box or anything. I was using a clipon work light with a flourescent bulb. I tried a GE reveal incondescent, but they were yellower yet.

8. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

can you preset the WB in your camera? it's key in getting it right with indoor lighting. I messed with it a little.