Just Received email from Uber

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MurrayNevada, Jun 4, 2020.

1. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

Let me start by saying I wish I never had to send this email.

I wish that the lives of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and countless others weren’t so violently cut short. I wish that institutional racism, and the police violence it gives rise to, didn’t cause their deaths. I wish that all members of our Black community felt safe enough to move around their cities without fear. I wish that I didn’t have to try to find the words to explain all of this to my two young sons.

But I’ve been given hope this week by hundreds of thousands of peaceful protestors demanding change. I am committed to being part of that change.

As a company, we believe that everyone has the right to move freely, no matter where they live or the color of their skin. We’re proud of how Uber has helped improve transportation equity over the last decade. But the reality remains that Black Americans often don’t feel safe to move freely in many places around our country. And they still face enormous barriers that others do not.

This is a reality we should not perpetuate or accept. We must do better.

2. MurrayNevada

Uber email continued:

We know there is no easy solution to the problems we have faced for centuries. We also know that we need to devote our time, energy and resources toward making a difference. That’s why we’re making a number of commitments that we will uphold not just this week, but for years to come.

• We are committed to creating a community that treats everyone equally and with dignity. We do not tolerate discrimination, harrassment or racism on our platform, as outlined in our Community Guidelines. We will hold everyone who uses Uber accountable to these standards of basic respect and human decency. I respectfully ask anyone not willing to abide by these rules to delete Uber.

• We are committed to supporting the Black community. As a starting point, we will use Uber Eats to promote Black-owned restaurants while making it easier for you to support them, with no delivery fees for the remainder of the year. And in the coming weeks, we will offer discounted rides to Black-owned small businesses, who have been hit hard by COVID-19, to help in their recovery.

• We are committed to making Uber a diverse and inclusive place for people of color to work and thrive. While we have more work to do, we have tied our senior executives’ pay to measurable progress on our diversity goals, and will continue to publish data on our workforce so the public can hold us accountable. We’re also committed to expanding opportunities for drivers and delivery people, including through education opportunities and skills training.
    We know this isn’t enough. It won’t be enough until we see true racial justice. But we plan to work day in and day out to improve, learn, and grow as a company.

Lastly, let me speak clearly and unequivocally: Black Lives Matter.

Dara Khosrowshahi
    CEO

3. Jonesee

Jonesee

What part do you disagree with?

CC Glock likes this.
  4. MurrayNevada

Didn't say I agreed or disagreed with any part. Just posted the email sent to all Uber customers. I added no commentary or opinion.

Bus007, cbetts1, Agonizer and 2 others like this.
  5. Descendant

Descendant

Sounds like you are just trying to stir the pot and start some sheit

6. Jonesee

Jonesee

It was a totally serious question.

7. B C

B C

"we will use Uber Eats to promote Black-owned restaurants while making it easier for you to support them"

DrVlad, Quijibo, GlockPride and 2 others like this.
  8. Descendant

Descendant

What's your twitter handle?

I want to read how you responded to Drew Brees regarding his patriotic position

I suspect you jump on guys that say "all lives matter"

Darkangel1846 and spork like this.
  9. MurrayNevada

Why would you be interested in my opinion? I have no expertise in corporate correspondence. And I have no desire to know whether you agree or disagree with anything in the email. I think the question curious.

billy_56081 likes this.
  10. Jonesee

Jonesee

Frankly it seemed curious you took the time to post it.
    I assume there is a reason you did.

Alternatively, maybe you were just bored and needed an activity.

11. Jonesee

Jonesee

I don't tweet.

12. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    flyover, BigBull 301, DrVlad and 8 others like this.
  13. MurrayNevada

14. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I received that email tonight also and found it to be racist in itself.

15. spork

spork Caffeinator

"Hi, here at [BRAND], we are committed to making a difference in how you see us. That is why [BRAND] has created a new fund for POC to have special treatment not available to all people.

The good folks at [BRAND] realize that not everyone can get a decaf mocha-with-a-twist, lemon-infused, organic coffee made from real Brazirro nuts that have been harvested by hand from the dung of feral hedgehogs using only the labor of underprivileged POC in rural Brazil. That is why we will give 10 cents from each sale of our [BRAND] apparel, coffee mugs, and digital emoji packs to supply decaf mocha-with-a-twist, lemon-infused, organic coffee made from real Brazirro nuts that have been harvested by hand from the dung of feral hedgehogs using only the labor of underprivileged POC in rural Brazil to every POC attending a protest.

Yes, that's right! All you have to do is buy our product in order to help POC! Just use the promo code WHITEBEBAD in the checkout. Afterward, you can receive a dopamine rush from knowing you just reduced inequality and you can use your new swag to show all your friends how you teamed up with [BRAND] to fight systemic inequality!

Remember to hit "like" and click "subscribe" to get our future outrage-based offers!

16. JimWillson

JimWillson

Virtue signaling is a form of (self)censorship. You just pretend to be a zombie, so that others don’t tear you apart. The message itself is as meaningful as a fart.

17. Detectorist

Detectorist

". I wish that institutional racism, and the police violence it gives rise to, didn’t cause their deaths."

Uber and Lyft are both HQ in the ultra liberal San Francisco.

18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Many companies are trying to appear “woke” and to appease the rioters I think in hopes to be spared being attacked.

19. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"What part do you disagree with?"

The part where customers paid a higher price so the company could make a tax deductible contribution to a cause that's important to them.

And the companies never seem to make donations quietly, they always crow about it so much that it reeks of advertising, not a simple good deed.

The one that's been bugging me for years is Dominion Energy. They're the local power company/monopoly. Lowering their bills would help poor people, too. :)
    "Dominion Energy contributed $48 million in 2019 to community causes throughout its footprint and beyond"

billy_56081 and Agonizer like this.
  20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

All lives matter

If one wants avoid a Police confrontation, do not put yourself in a position that creates confrontation.

George Floyd WAS treated poorly by Police. This deal isn’t a race thing, it was created by some poor decisions made by a few Police.

George Floyd, just like Trayvon Martin was not a sweet, innocent model citizen as the media is trying to portray. They created the situation that led to the confrontation.