Just realized why I like Glocks better than 1911

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by blinddog, Jan 3, 2010.

1. blinddog

blinddog

OK So yes I was ral heavy into the 1911 till about 1990 Then I bought a consecutive pair of G-21's ALD prefix. My 1911's got sold and traded off with in a year or so as I stopped useing them. I retired a few years ago did a few thing I had been wanting to do buit a couple AR's after the ban sunset stuff like that, Back around 2000 I started reading about the .460 Rowland got real i8nterested in the round but was going to wait till I could convert a Glock. Well that wait got tireing after eight or nine years , so last year I brock down and bought a Kimber Stainless from Clark Custom with a .460 Rowland conversion, shoots real good too. Around Christmas I desided to try a side to side comparison between the Kimber in .45 ACP and one of my well used G-21.
    Well results wer so -so the groups were c;lose to the same 7 rounds from the Kimber at 25 yards and 7 rounds from the Glock both with hardball shot into about 4" But the Kimber needed a mag change after each 7 Rounds The Glock went 13. The loaded Kimber felt like a had a brick on my belt, not so much the Glock ( but I am used to it too) Now the Big differance after a hundred rounds from each The Glock took fifteen minutes to strip and clean, The Kimber didn't take long to strip, but after cleaning, I fiddled with the dang thing for close to two hours to reassemble it to .460 configuration. Now I am not stupid, I have owned seven or eight 1911's they are not hard to take apart or put back togeather, but this sucker has a two piece guide rod and a comp. so the slide is put togeather back ackwards, you have to hold the 24 lbe recoil spring in place while putting the frame back onto the slide, even putting it back to .45 acp I about put an eye out when the spring plug slipped and went flyin across the room, so in short the Kimber is now an expensive safe queen, I can use one of my Rugers SBR's for Hogs or maybe I will go ahead and get a G-20 or 29.

2. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

By all means try the G20 or G29. They are dandy guns and fun to shoot.

3. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

The best thing is that with all the glock shooters out there it keeps demand for a 1911 lower and therefor keeps prices down on the real guns.:supergrin:

I kid. I love Glocks but a 1911 fits my small hand better. I am looking forward to seeing a Gen4.

4. Cody Pondexter

Cody Pondexter Capzilla

You will like the 29 its a kick in the pants. I love mine.

5. Geezer Glide

Geezer Glide NRA Life Member

And Glocks will work with the magazines that come with them. You don't have to buy Wilson or McCormick magazines to get a Glock to feed reliably.

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I agree. I love mine and if you're already used to the grip on the G21, you'll love the G20.

7. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I love them both also. My 1911's are not going anyplace, but I cannot field strip and reassemble them with my eyes closed like I can my Glocks......but then my Glocks are not nearly as pretty. :supergrin:

8. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

:agree:

9. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Yeah....unless its a 40 caliber with a G1 mag.:upeyes:

10. blinddog

blinddog

I am sorry I was ranting the other nite afte4r spewnding several hours getting that 1911 back togeather right. I used 1911's from the late sixties ( Marine Corps) into the Mid eighties then I switched to Glocks and have not looked back, well except for the Kimber.But that was a special occasion and a wildcat chambering, (.460 Rowland)
    I fully agree about the mags, and feeding reliability, I used hardballin my tests to avoid anyu problems with the 1911 ( I ahve polished many feedramps to get a 1911 to feed JHPs) Yep the 1911 is truly what you show off to friends, But the Glock is what you show to enamies.

11. fowler

fowler

Something that took me 40 1911,s and near 4 decades to learn. If you want it to work get a Glock. The only 1911 is a G.I. ww2 stock Ithaca a safe gueen relic.. They are retired from carry and defence use. A good old relic that served well back in the day.

12. Pappy John

Pappy John

I guess I'm lucky, in that all three of my 1911s were reliable and not mag fussy.

Still, I shoot Glocks just as well as the 1911, the magazine capacity comparison is a joke, and the maintenance on the Glock is so much easier that it's no contest.

All my 1911s have gone on to other homes. Five Glocks in three calibers have taken their place, and I can't see me spending money on a 1911 ever again.

13. Gabby

Gabby

Why not acquire a 20 barrel and magazines for your 21. There is your hog pistol!

14. Clownblaster3000

Clownblaster3000

If you're gonna pistol hunt I suggest the 20 over the 29. The 29 is a great carry gun but the 20 gets more of the 10mm's potential as it has more barrel.

I like both 1911s and Glocks. But the 1911 is a harder platform to do right and so many of the manufacturers out there don't. They make them tight for tight's sake without fitting parts well. I can't stand kimber. I know they have a blood thirsty fan boy following that swear they are the best but I've never seen anything out of them to justify their price. Springfield makes a decent 1911 for the money. But I bought an Ed Brown Special Forces last year and it is simply the finest pistol I've ever laid hands on. No handgun in my safe (including all the glocks) are as accurate and fast shooting as my Eddie B. And so far I'm nearing 1000 rounds in my EB without a single malfunction. So it is by far more reliable than most of the regular 1911s I've played with at least. The main reason I carry a Glock over my Ed Brown is that the Glock is more easily replaced. It wouldn't kill me to lose it. And one must be prepared to lose their carry gun. Either by having it taken by force, dropped and lost forever, or taken by police if something goes down. Either way your carry gun is the one gun your most capable of losing compared to the ones sitting happily in your safe cause it's the one you put in harms way. So I carry glock cause it wouldn't kill me to lose it. I'd need meds if someone took my Ed Brown.

15. Seawolf

Seawolf

I had a firearms instructor tell us one time that he would not allow any 1911 on his range that did not rattle when he shook it.

Like Clownblaster I think the problem with many of the 1911 manufacturers out there is they try to make these guns with the tolerances way too tight. Tight guns may be beneficial in competition with specialized ammo, but a combat handgun needs room to expand with heat and able to function dirty.

My first 1911 was a Kimber Pro Carry II with aluminum frame and I had nothing but problems with it. I swapped it for a Springfield Armory 1911A1 Mil Spec and the Mil Spec has been flawless after 1,000 rounds (and yes it rattles when I shake it).
    If built to mil spec or customized by a smith that knows what he/she is doing then the 1911 is one of the finest combat pistols in the world, but too many times they are butchered and it doesn't take long for one "oh ****" to cancel out 100 "atta boys"