Just ran CCI Velocitor through the Chronograph

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Kegs, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Box label states 1435 fps.

I got 1280 fps, with a max about 1380. I was shooting 5y from the chronograph (which is typical when I measure velocities to account for muzzle blast).

This with a 20" bbl. Remington 597 (keep in mind many .22LR have 16" barrels which account for a slightly slower velocity).

I don't know what rifle CCI uses to gauge their velocities at, but they are nowhere near 1435 fps.

I also did a "milk jug" test on two rounds @ about 15y. (1) penetrated 3 milk jugs, the other 4 milk jugs and at that distance they definitely mushroom, although I would call it more like a long shank with a flat cap on it vs. a true mushroom shape.

The first milk jug was cracked open pretty solidly. I tried this using milk jugs last year and the first milk jug blew apart violently.

This isn't a .223, it's a .22lr, but seriously - even at the slower speed than advertised, it's got a lot more power than one would suspect!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. TactiCool

TactiCool

A couple years ago, I bought an old USGI steel pot from a surplus store for some testing of various .22 rounds and was suprised to discover that cci stingers would penetrate the helmet at 3 yards. They were fired from my old winchester model 190 with a 16" barrel. The standard velocity rounds just made a dent.

3. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Not too long after Velocitor was introduced (8+ years ago, according to the date on my old test results file), I ran a .22 ammo-velocity-in-various-barrel-lengths test. I gathered as many loads as I could find (30+) and ran them over a chronograph, using a 24" Mossberg bolt-action. Then I cut two inches off the barrel and repeated the test with every load. Same thing at 20", 18", and 16.25" (padded that last one a bit; didn't want to get too close to the legal minimum barrel length).

My results were a little higher, but still fairly close to yours. The 20" barrel length gave the highest velocity with that ammo (10-shot average of 1329 FPS), followed by the 18" length at 1315 FPS. Here is a screen cap of all the CCI loads in each barrel length:

[​IMG]

4. EldoEsq.

EldoEsq.

5. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

In my 16" CZ Scout I got an average speed of 1388 fps with a spread of 40 fps. In a 5" revolver I got 1060 fps and a spread of 96 fps. This was a couple years ago, I hope quality/velocity aren't dropping off with the Velocitors. It's the most accurate ammo in my Scout and my 10/22. Seems to really buck the wind well too.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  6. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks for the info. :wavey:

7. mc1911

mc1911

I guess that I will stick with powerpoints.

8. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

They may not use a gun to test their ammo at all.
    It may be an accuracy device with a super long barrel on it.

9. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

i would say going by your data and that of the BBTI website 16" is all you need to get the most out of .22lr. the number all fall within standard deviation.

10. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I was kind of surprised that the Stinger and Velocitor didn't do better in the longer barrels, but quantifying any supposed velocity advantage for hyper-velocity loads was one of the reasons I ran the test in the first place.

11. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Awesome to see some real primary data on the .22 and barrel length. :thumbsup: