Just Ran A Night OP Against A Possible Horde

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Oct 30, 2020.

1. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well I had some ants that were stating to climb the tree looking to get to the hummer feeders. I thought they were gone when I killed all the scout units. The hummer feeders have their moats and they were doing their job. I had a vision tho not to long after dark, a vision of the ant hordes(The little brown ones) overwhelming my feeders. The garden ground is covered in wood chips and I hardly ever see them. I think tho I must have spilled some hummer joy juice in my changing the feeders.

So I went out with a flashlight to check things out and sure enough there were ants not a horde yet but a few hundred for sure. Some were even at the top of the hooks just before the moats. I killed a whole bunch but I had to be sure I stopped them so I could sleep tonight.

I broke out an old trick I used when I had Rockie(African Grey Parrot and best bud for 33 years RIP 1/3/2016). IMGP0220.JPG Years ago I got up to go to work and there was a stream of ants coming thru the backdoor and starting to get near Rockie's cage and food. Geez, what do I do? I can't use ant spray near Rockie's cage.

Light bulb above my head. Shaving cream. So I killed all the ants inside and then put shaving cream on both sides of the bottom of the doorway, and I went to work. Got home after a full shift and there were no ants in my place whatsoever. So knowing that I strategically put shaving cream around the base of the tree and a few other places.

Tomorrow I will spray wash the whole area with a water hose, it will get rid of traces of sugar and cause havoc in antville. I did that once before and nipped the problem in the bud. I should have done it again but I thought I got rid of them and I was lazy and taking pictures instead. I learned two lessons, don't spill hummer food at all. Secondly, if I do then wash the area down with a hose really well, that works. I also want to rid the tree of all shaving cream. Later.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. Detectorist

Detectorist

The wood chips are a great hiding place for insects.

mj9mm and cyberghostx13 like this.

3. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

4. RenoF250

RenoF250

5. Speleothem

Speleothem

I had some small ants invade my kitchen recently.
    I got some Raid ant traps and they were gone.

6. Taterhead

Taterhead

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

My Grandson has never had one single ant on his face! LOL!
    Good write up amigo, made my day man! ;)

CM
    :horse:

IMG_7464.jpg

8. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

I use some RAID Product that looks like Toothpaste, and is Clear. Ant Kill or something, we get lots of Ants in Desert. A drop here and there, they take the treat back to nest, or mound, all is quiet near at my home.

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  9. Tvov

Tvov

10. usnret

usnret

We moved into a new (new to us) house. The previous owners had been using an exterminator due to an ant problem. We told the exterminator that we wouldn't need their services. I sprayed Talstar Pro all around the houses foundation just once and we didn't have anymore ant problem the rest of the year. I don't know what the exterminator was using, but it didn't work. But you can't keep coming back and charging for service if you fix the problem.

Jack Ryan, mj9mm and cyberghostx13 like this.
  11. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

years ago I used diazinon granules for that job. Not sure what today's substitute is now that diazinon is banned.

and yeah, free Fullclip

free the clipper.jpeg

12. Scamp57

Scamp57

13. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

In the midst of all our jokes Hummer, THIS, ^^^ that Tater Head suggested does work very well for us here...! Try it man. ;)

TH, What is the Proper term for group of ants....? CM, Dang look at this, their back! ;)

That term, Works for these guys too... ha

IMG_0444.gif

CM
    :horse:

14. stevebla

stevebla

15. drumgod

drumgod

I puff deltadust into the cracks and crevices around my foundation early spring. It seems to discourage the scouts and knock the colonies back. If I notice a mound near the house I treat it directly.

16. cyberghostx13

Well thanks for the great response and a very funny picture. Update: I got up a little earlier to check on things and sure enough the shaving cream worked and did it's job so I didn't have to worry about a horde and I could sleep easy. This morning I used a hospital cloth to get all the shaving cream off the tree before hoseing the area down big time.

So now it's another great day in the Land Of The Hummingbird.Right after I took some really good shots, I am trying to get the hummers in more sunlight so I can get those colors. Well I'm at my iMac desk, I had to check my email for a delivery, so now it's back outside. Later. IMGP0050.JPG

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    ZekerMan, mj9mm and CanyonMan like this.
  17. cyberghostx13

Nice. Is that the girl from the TV series "2 Broke Girls"? Sure looks like her.

18. cyberghostx13

Well thanks everyone for your responses and ideas. All is quiet on the hummer front, after carefully removing the shaving cream with a small towel I blasted the area with a garden hose, something I should have done in the first place, live and learn. Later.

Dynactus and CanyonMan like this.
  19. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

.... so NOT Mongolians? :headscratch:

20. NMG26

NMG26

"When you get angry enough, grab your rifle and run outside. If you're the only one there, it's not time yet!"