Just purchased some recreational land!!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Joshhtn, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

I don't need to go in with a group and would prefer to have it as my own. The money wasn't the concern. (See post below)

I'm just not going to spend $80K on land without title insurance...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    G30SF/F-250 and pgg00 like this.
  2. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

If it makes you feel any better my mother in law is moving into the house my wife's grandfather built on our land referenced earlier in this thread as soon as she can sell her current house. Well she had it sold until one of her neighbors decided to inform the buyers that the foundation is bad. It is not but they got scared off and now she is back to square one. We even offered to hire them a inspection and they still balked we had the inspection done anyway and guess what. No problems just a busy body neighbor. Apparently they want one of their family members to buy it but they are having trouble getting financed and my mother in law (understandably) won't take their offer till they get a mortgage approved. Real estate sucks

Joshhtn likes this.

3. Joshhtn

Wow! What a dick neighbor!!

G30SF/F-250 and Kentucky fan like this.
  4. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

Yeah for real trust me they got an earful about it. My mother in law is dieing to get moved up here with us and back out in the country. We have a gorgeous property here and she just needs the money to paint the house and get a hvac system she doesn't want to go in to debt to do it. It was quite the Heartbreaker.

Joshhtn likes this.
  5. Joshhtn

How long was it on the market the first time when she (almost) got the deal?

6. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

Two months, so it was super quick which is what sucked because unless the neighbors family get the financing its gonna be at least 6 more weeks after someone makes an offer unless they are pre approved. She was hoping to get up here before the fall rains set in but it ain't looking good.

Joshhtn likes this.
  7. Joshhtn

Damn. Fingers crossed for the future.

That's a whole different level of suck than what I'm going through. I wish her the best! :cheers:

8. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

I'd seriously consider suing them and would have a nasty cease and desist letter sent to them, at a minimum.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Tbd-Clark-Rd-Butler-TN-37640/2083217249_zpid/

Just saying...

G30SF/F-250 and Joshhtn like this.
  9. Joshhtn

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  10. Joshhtn

I found 90 VERY private acres only 38 miles from my front door. I think I'll go take a look at it next week.

Looks like it might be a winner. Definitely plenty more land out there. I'm just hoping to find something before this deer season... but I won't rush it.

JLA, mhambi, G30SF/F-250 and 3 others like this.
  11. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

DaleGribble and Joshhtn like this.
  12. thespork

thespork

I've been considering some land in tennessee valley area of alabama...

Could easily afford it, but it would make a significant portion of my assets non liquid.. which is good and bad ..

13. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

I'm trying to get her to just move in with us until she can get it done. We bought a 2000 sq ft double wide with 4 bedrooms because we are planning to have children in the near future. We have 3 extra bedrooms and a bathroom we aren’t using other than for storage. She could take one of them and we could condense the gun room and my wife's closet room into one bedroom easily. I think iv about got her talked into it she just doesn't want to intrude. With her husband dieing last year I really don't like the idea of her living by herself over the winter it would not be good for her mental health.

Then we could just do everything piecemeal with her house. Really though all she needs is a heat source and she would be fine. I'm thinking call Matheson get a propane tank delivered have it plumbed to a couple of propane heaters and just not tell her lol. That's of course if she doesn't want to move in with us. That house is 700 sq ft on the ground floor she'd be living in and perfect for her. There is a upstairs for storage and a basement for her to can beans and what not. It is a fantastic little house. My wife's grandfather worked in the mines and in factorys for five years sending money back to be saved up to buy materials. He would eat bologna sandwiches every day to save every penny he could. We really want to honor that legacy as much as possible. He even mined his own coal on the property to heat with lol and built everything he needed here he was old school for his time.

TuckersDad and Joshhtn like this.
  14. PeterG

PeterG

So how did previous owner handle it?

My guess county doesn’t want to maintain it, if so signing a waiver may clear it up.

FWIW my township has several dirt roads that aren’t maintained in winter yet folk live off them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. papershoot

papershoot

I am sure you will find something. Buying real estate is a very emotional and I fall in love too easily. I live in the Tennessee River valley and would much prefer to have some recreational land of my own. I settled for joining a hunt club this year. I'll be taking my son-in-law out to show him the club tomorrow, with the side by side. He wants to turkey hunt.
    I would be looking at something at least an hour and a half drive, well out of the Huntsville metro area, before the price was something I would be willing to pay for. Some beauty like mature hardwoods and a little rock bottomed creek for me. The lowest priced parcels here have no deeded access, a steep grade, and/or have recently been clear cut. The prices and taxes are a bit higher just over the TN state line.

Joshhtn likes this.
  16. Joshhtn

He just never had title insurance on it and claims he just goes after previous owners if something comes up (he's a land investor/agent/good ol' boy) and that land has been in his family for the past 40 years and claims they've always had access to it, but that can change overnight. Without a clear legal easement, I could be blocked from entering the land at any given time down the road and it would be an absolute legal nightmare...

I could have easily closed on it and got the land, that wasn't a problem, but I wouldn't have title insurance, and never could have got it, which is a deal breaker for me. There are WAY too many issues that could come up down the road and I'd be screwed without it. Also, if I ever decided to sell, nobody in their right mind would buy without being able to obtain title insurance.

G30SF/F-250 and PeterG like this.
  17. Joshhtn

By the way, you sound like a damn fine son in law. Good on ya. :cheers:

18. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Best of luck on the new search! :thumbsup:

G30SF/F-250 and Joshhtn like this.
  19. Joshhtn

No matter where it ends up being, I'll make sure it has space to park your 5th wheel! :supergrin:

:cheers:

G30SF/F-250 and mhambi like this.