close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just picked up my Astra .357mag...WOW!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Feb 5, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Last week I bought an Astra .357mag from www.summitgunbroker.com. Mark's a good guy to deal with. You can see a pic of the gun here in the upper left corner...

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/38___357_mag.html

Now I did some homework on these guns and most people loved them. They said that, while not American made, they were great quality and boy were they right!! This is a SOLID gun and VERY tight in fit and feel! I have yet to shoot it, but the timing and function is pretty much on par with my Smiths. The blueing on the gun is beautiful! It's about 95% and LNIB except for one or two spots on the cylinder and barrel where some thug probably scratched it on his belt buckle. But it looks like it was shot and carried very little if at all.

The cartridges slide in easily...no friction or anything as might be the case if someone shot a ton of .38spl's through it and then failed to clean it properly.

I got a kick out of the import mark on the frame...It says "The Garcia Corp. Washington D.C."! Sort of ironic considering the current state of affairs there. :supergrin:

It looks like either the criminal or Mark put a brand new set of Pachmayer grips on this. They feel real nice.

There is a number dremmeled in on the underside of the frame (houses the cylinder)...not sure if that's a case number or what though. :dunno:

One question I do have for anyone who might know...

On the front of the trigger guard there is a screw going in diagonally and I have no clue what it's there for. I've never seen a revolver with a screw there. It does look like the head of the screw has seen a screw driver so I'm not sure if it adjusts tension when the cylinder swings out or what but any info would be great!

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

2. WilyCoyote

WilyCoyote

I wonder how many bodies it has on it :wow:

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Funny you should mention that. It did have what seemed to be dried blood on the front of the frame. I mean it was a reddish/brown substance and it definitely wasn't rust. So who knows?!? :dunno:

-Emt1581

4. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

So I took apart the grips and I'm wondering if these came with the gun?

The are Pachmayer but they say "Astra .357mag" on the inside. So they are made specifically for this gun.

Now it makes me wonder if this really is VERY similar in shape to the S&W Model 19/K-Frames or if this is a shape unique to Astras?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

5. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

Congrats and nice find. Too bad you couldn't snag that Colt before it sold.

6. raxar

raxar Golliwog

I do believe the grip is unigue to astras, as when I bought mine the shop told me that smith grips don't fit. I know the grips from my taurus 431 don't fit, nor do a set very similar to one ones on your astra from an M&P.

as I said I have the same gun with a 3" barrel and concur with your assessment, they are very nice pistols. I'd like to find one with a 6" barrel as I think it would be a very well balanced piece since their frames are so big.

BTW do you know you can change the tension on the mainspring with that little disk that it sits in inside the frame?

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Now for the $64 question...what holsters fit these guns?? I was told any S&W K-Frame holster should work, but I haven't tried any. No one else seems to have holsters for their Astras.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

8. raxar

raxar Golliwog

I have a k frame smith holster and I'm fairly certain that the astra doesn't fit very well. I would suggest you get a quality holster designed for 4" barreled meduim framed revolvers, rather than one for a specific model

Take off the grip, you will see a ring which has a spring sticking out of it situated inside of the gripframe. This is the mainspring, which powers the hammer to strike the primer. When you remove the ring (by pushing it out) you will see 4 holes drilled into it, these 4 holes are drilled to different depths, so if you line up the mainspring with different holes it will cause either more or less tension on the mainspring, causeing it to have either more or less force when the gun is fired. This will also make the trigger pull heavier or lighter. This might sound complicated, but it's pretty simple when you actually do it.

Now there really isn't a reason to bother messing with it unless you find that you're getting light primer strikes. I should also note that it's kinda difficult to line everything up when it comes time to put everything back together, especially if you don't have much experience. I really just brought it up because I think it's a neat design feature, that you'll only find on the Astra

edited to add, it is highly advised that you don't bother with anything inside the side plate on any revolver unless you know what you're doing, things are very complex in there, and if you don't use a gunsmithing screwdriver you're going to mess up the heads of the screws that hold it on

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  9. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Thanks!!:)

-Emt1581

10. raxar

raxar Golliwog

I think it seems pretty solid, the spring would probably break before the ring does

I have an uncle mikes nylon "universal" revolver holster that seems pretty decent, but you're right, alot of them are not well made. A paddle rig would be nice too.

11. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Thanks!

-Emt1581

12. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

Pachmayer, nor any other maker, makes any generic universal grips. They would have to be made just for a specific brand and model.