Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been looking around for a gun that unlike the lanber semi auto I have(that cycles HUNTING loads fine but refuses to cycle light loads for clay sports pretty much at all) would cycle lighter rounds for trap/skeet/sporting clays/5 stand..pretty much a jack of all trades(and its fine if its a master of none im doing it for fun not to enter competitions)

I had tried to get a decent O/U got one smoking deal that fell through when the guy was taking the gun(a Beretta 686 Onyx Sporting 30") off the shelf to box up and send me he dropped it and dented the stock,cracked the forearm..I was MAD! this was coming to me for $900... :(

So i see a add locally for this gun looked at some reviews. finally went and bought it. Nice gun had a total of 4 boxes of shells through it. came with everything(case 6 chokes) wood is great.. cleaned it up last weekend(i dont think they cleaned it after shooting it like EVER) and this weekend Sunday will be its trial run.

12GA 28" barrels 5 Briley extended chokes(and 2 thrown in super full turkey chokes) no dents or nicks in wood id say its about 98%

·
Registered
15,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what kinda drew me to it :). The guy was local and he kept telling me...you gotta see the wood on this thing its great..so when we met I was pleasantly surprised :) . I figured $825 was reasonable for the Sporting model so I got it.

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,601 Posts
Thats what kinda drew me to it :). The guy was local and he kept telling me...you gotta see the wood on this thing its great..so when we met I was pleasantly surprised :) . I figured $825 was reasonable for the Sporting model so I got it.
Congratulations!!!!!!!!

My first 1100 is my absolute favorite shotgun!!!
That 12 ga recoils like a 28 ga., and "If it flies.... it dies!"

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
Congrats!:cool:

·
Registered
15,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I should be running some skeet rounds through it this weekend I will report back :)

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,640 Posts
My favorite all-around, multi-purpose shotgun, I have two of them. If I was limited to only one shotgun it would be one of my 1100s.

Does anyone make a user adjustable stocks to let me set the LOP for the 1100 shotgun? I like to start people into the shooting sports and properly fitting a shotgun is crucial to getting good results. Mine are older wooden stocked versions. I don't want a tactical stock (pistol grip stocks are verboten at a lot of trap lines).

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Too bad about the Beretta damage, but congrats on finding the Remington.

·
Registered
15,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too bad about the Beretta damage, but congrats on finding the Remington.
Im still mad about that....That was the gun I had been looking for all along at the RIGHT price(sub $1000) I mean look for a 686 Onyx Sporting with 30" barrels and 5 choke tubes and see what you find...I had even sent the check out that AM and then at 230PM my time they called me and said...I have some bad news...LUCKILY since id "sent" the check registered mail it had not gone out yet..I called the PO they said it had not gone out I toild them to hold it for me..so at least I didnt send them $$$ for a gun I didnt get.

but that gun was EXACTLY what I wanted..and I dont think I will ever get a shot at another one(because I wont pay over $1000)

·
Registered
15,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My favorite all-around, multi-purpose shotgun, I have two of them. If I was limited to only one shotgun it would be one of my 1100s.

Does anyone make a user adjustable stocks to let me set the LOP for the 1100 shotgun? I like to start people into the shooting sports and properly fitting a shotgun is crucial to getting good results. Mine are older wooden stocked versions. I don't want a tactical stock (pistol grip stocks are verboten at a lot of trap lines).
http://geoswebs.startlogic.com/ajshotgun/weststock.htm

·
Registered
15,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It worked 100% with the 1 1/8 Oz Gun Club rounds I had thats what I used for round #1 of skeet. For round #2 I tried out some of my kids Nobel Sport 7/8 Oz loads(1200 fps) and they started out cycling and working fine even for doubles at station 1...worked ok till station 4 or 5..then it started not ejecting them properly..so then I had brought a bunch of the 1 1/8 also in a cargo pocket so i used the 7/8 for the single stations and popped in the 1 1/8 for doubles and they still worked just fine..

May be the gun is just too "new" and not broken in(only now has 150 rounds through it) or it could have been im experimenting if I want to run it wet or dry(yesterday it was wet) next time im running it dry and trying the same thing.

I may try to find that sweet spot maybe a nice 1 Oz load. Also think I will be adding a recoil pad. that little hard rubber one on it stock doesnt do too much :)

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,640 Posts

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,640 Posts
It worked 100% with the 1 1/8 Oz Gun Club rounds I had thats what I used for round #1 of skeet. For round #2 I tried out some of my kids Nobel Sport 7/8 Oz loads(1200 fps) and they started out cycling and working fine even for doubles at station 1...worked ok till station 4 or 5..then it started not ejecting them properly..so then I had brought a bunch of the 1 1/8 also in a cargo pocket so i used the 7/8 for the single stations and popped in the 1 1/8 for doubles and they still worked just fine..

May be the gun is just too "new" and not broken in(only now has 150 rounds through it) or it could have been im experimenting if I want to run it wet or dry(yesterday it was wet) next time im running it dry and trying the same thing.

I may try to find that sweet spot maybe a nice 1 Oz load. Also think I will be adding a recoil pad. that little hard rubber one on it stock doesnt do too much :)
The 1100 is designed for normal full power field loads. Neither of mine like light or reduced power loads. If you are going to use light loads exclusively you can open up the gas port a bit, but I wouldn't. The 1100 kicks softer with full power loads than an 870 does with reduced recoil loads.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
the Remington 1100 is IMO the high-water mark in the world of auto-loading shotguns. Wayne Leek and his design team did one hell of a job on that gun back in 1962. Over 6.5 million produced!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts