Just picked this up...is my Glock rusting?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Mr_Bojenkals, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Mr_Bojenkals

Mr_Bojenkals

Hey Guys,
    So I've gained a lot of interest in Gen 2 Glocks after acquiring my first one back in March '18. Since then, I've added 4 more to the collection. My most recent acquisition was a 17 from GunBroker, advertised as being in nearly new condition. After I finally got the gun home, I took it down for a cleaning. As soon as I started fiddling with it, I noticed the slide appeared to be a bit "off" in color. I held my phone light up to the slide, and sure enough it appears orange. My guess would be this is surface rust. To my understanding, Glocks (especially pre-2011) used a Tenifer process to treat the metal and help protect against rust, corrosion, etc. After inspecting this gun, it's evident it has not been handled or shot much at all, however the slide is definitely orange. I used some RemOil and a cotton cloth to try and wipe it off, no luck. My cotton rags would turn orange/brown after excessive wiping, but the "orange film" is still evident. I can only notice it when I hold a light up to it, or I'm holding the pistol at an angle.

I'm looking for any help as to what exactly is happening to my slide, and how I can fix this if possible. I've read and searched about soaking for hours even days in vinegar, Hoppes, Coke, WD-40, CorrosionX, etc., along with using a 0000 steel wool pad. I figured I would reach out to the community for some do's and don'ts before attempting anything myself.

In the pictures, I have the 17 next to another 17 Gen2 I have, both 5 digit serial numbers beginning with M. The last two pictures more or less show how the gun was photographed and marketed to me. As you can see in the last two photos, nothing seems to be out of the ordinary or cause me to question the finish; not to mention it's a Glock, and slide rust isn't usually something I'm looking out for when purchasing one. Any help or information regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
    G17 Rust1.jpg G17 Rust2.jpg G17 Rust3.jpg G17 Rust4.jpg G17 Rust5.jpg G17 Rust6.jpg

2. M 7

M 7

Hmmm, that's weird, alright...

Have you tried wiping the slide down with a rag wetted with a copper solvent?

The reason that I ask is that I had occasion once to see marks left by a bronze bore brush on the slide of a friend's Glock 17 made when the bore brush, left in the range bag, came into contact with the slide. The marks were the same color as what your images show and were easily removed with a copper solvent (Shooter's Choice Copper Solvent)-

[​IMG]

-after we applied it to the slide using a cotton rag saturated with it. We wet the slide down, let it sit for about 2 -3 minutes and then we wiped the slide dry of the solvent and the marks were gone. I would recommend trying that first, then if the orange discoloration remains, you might need to explore other options.

It may very well be rust. Even Glocks are not immune to oxidation. I can't help but notice that even the locking block pin in your pictures has the same orange-ish discoloration as the slide.

Jibnast and Mr_Bojenkals like this.

3. GP4L

GP4L

Looks like surface corrosion to me. I'd strip it down completely, submerge it in your favorite flavor of oil, and go to town with the super fine steel wool. See what happens. If it cleans up, great - get rid of the excess oil in the slide, and reassemble and shoot. If not, it may need to be re-finished.

Give your other Glock an oily rub down too. Almost looks like it's starting to show a little surface corrosion in those pics - might just be the lighting though.

4. Mr_Bojenkals

Mr_Bojenkals

I have not tried that nor even thought of that, great advice. I am definitely willing to give that a try. I just added a bottle of it to my "Fix My Glock" cart on Amazon. Thanks.

Any other suggestions?

-JCN- likes this.
  5. M 7

M 7

I agree with G4PL in that it is likely surface rust, but hitting it with a little copper solvent will rule out copper alloy being the issue (as if maybe someone scrubbed it down with a bore brush) since you do not know the history of the pistol. Folks do weird stuff to their guns.

If it is surface corrosion, and, if there is significant damage to the finish, Glock can refinish the slide for you, albeit at a price.

All of my Glocks are Gen II, made before 2009, and I have not encountered this in any of them. Of course, I have been the only one to own and care for them so I know what has, and has not, been done to them.

Paul53 and Mr_Bojenkals like this.
  6. Mr_Bojenkals

Mr_Bojenkals

T
    Yea I figured I was gonna have to submerge it. As far as brand/type of oil, do you have any recommendations? I'm leaning towards Hoppes, but have little experience with anything other than the RemOil I have in an aerosol can.

7. MikeG36

MikeG36 Have Gun Will Travel

To start with I would just use a cotton patch with Breakfree CLP. Let it soak, scrub with cotton patches and repeat. If you get too aggressive (like with steel wool) the remaining black will come off. I'd use 0000 Steel Wool + CLP only if the cotton patch / CLP method doesn't work.

J. Reid and Mr_Bojenkals like this.
  8. MikeG36

BTW, Tenifer is in the top few microns of the metal. If the black wears off, the Tennifer should still be there.

J. Reid, Dr glock19 and Mr_Bojenkals like this.
  9. Mr_Bojenkals

Mr_Bojenkals

I wish I could say I was the only owner of my Glocks:frown: But that's why I tried to buy these Gen2's in as close to new condition as I could find; to avoid these types of problems.

I believe the copper solvent is the first method I will try, to rule out copper alloy as you've stated. Then if that doesn't work, I will try bathing it in gun oil for a few hours, and scrubbing with 0000 pad.

Recommendations on type of soaking oil?

10. Mr_Bojenkals

Mr_Bojenkals

I'm going to try this tonight, as I have enough CLP Break-Free readily available at my LGS for this. Also picking up some Hoppes#9, and Shooters Choice Bore Cleaner. When you guys mention soaking, are we talking a few minutes, hours, overnight? I guess I'm asking to know more in terms of soaking it long enough to be effective versus harming the finish.

11. MikeG36

I'd be careful about using bore cleaners on your finish. Some can be quite caustic and may make things worse.

captcurly and Mr_Bojenkals like this.
  12. GP4L

GP4L

Any "CLP" should work if the corrosion is only superficial.

Mr_Bojenkals likes this.
  13. tom mac

tom mac

who cares...after all it is a glock.... don't get worried when my hammer gets surface rust.
    wipe it off and keep going

Mayonator, FireForged and Squib77 like this.
  14. Bluescot

Bluescot

Sending back to Glock may be an alternative.

I had a G19 gen 2 that I bought used for a steal and after a few years I heard about Glocks "upgrade" policy so I called them. After giving CS my serial # they announced that it did qualify and sent me a prepaid shipping label. Off is goes and it comes back in 10-12 days with a completely new gen 3 "lower" at no cost and free shipping. It sounds like the collector aspect of your Glocks is something you like but I would give them a call and see what the response is.

You could try many of the methods suggested and if one or more of them screws up the finish you could always have it ceracoated your preferred color.

Mr_Bojenkals likes this.
  15. GP4L

GP4L

Did you not read the first post? OP tried wiping it off with no luck...

16. Mr_Bojenkals

Mr_Bojenkals

I whole-heartedly agree with you. I'm more worried about the fact that I bought it under the assumption it was in a certain condition, and I paid a certain premium for it to be in that condition; sans the surface rust(if that's what it is). Also, I don't know much about surface rust but I can only imagine it gets worse with time; maybe a catalyst for earlier pitting and other unwanted corrosion? I'm still not certain as to what it really is, hopefully some others will chime in with a more clear explanation of what it is from unfortunate experience or likewise.

17. Mr_Bojenkals

Mr_Bojenkals

That thought does sit on the back of my mind. Did all your serial numbers come back the same? It's good knowing Glock's Customer Service is as solid and reliable as their guns are. Thanks for the input:cheers:

18. AL Bundy's Dodge

AL Bundy's Dodge

I use Kroil oil to remove rust and fluid film to prevent rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Bluescot

Bluescot

Good question .....and no the serial numbers do NOT match. The slide and barrel serials are untouched as far as I can see; but the new lower was a gen 3, while the original was a gen 2, and the serial number begins with a GXXXXX. So now I have a gen2/gen3 but for me I look at it as an almost brand new shooter and don't seem concerned about my hybrid shooter. If your objective is in the collector's realm this would not be an alternative that you would probably like. Neither would having the slide and/or barrel ceracoated.

From a collector's view point you might be best served to send it to Glock and see who much they would charge to retreat those parts. I would guess that the next Glock collector would not want to pay you top $$$ for a gen 2 restored frame. Kind of like older cars that are original and in good shape are more desirable than a well done restoration.

You might be basically screwed from a collection viewpoint .....but you still could salvage a great shooter.:kilt:

Mr_Bojenkals likes this.
  20. Squib77

Squib77

This^^^^

Just shoot it. It’s a cheap plastic pistol not a show piece

Or

Try an ultrasonic cleaner

Vin Cenzo and Mr_Bojenkals like this.