close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just ordered a new video card - what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by feetpiece, Mar 10, 2006.

1. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

I've had my MSI G3Ti200 Pro-VT since late 01 and finally ordered a replacement. I picked the MSI FX5500-TD256 and was wondering what you guys can tell me to expect from this thing. I play Doom3 and HALO every so often but I also mess around with Photoshop.

The rest of my system:

MSI 875P NEO-LSR Mainboard
    512MB Kingston HyperX DDR 400
    P4 2.4C

I've got about 250 GB of HD space between 4 HD's...

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If you notice a speed difference, it'll probably be slower.

FX cards are not very good. I had an overclocked Gainward FX5900 that ran at 5950Ultra speeds and that was barely adequate.

That card pushes almost three times the pixels that 5500 will.

I had a customer a while back who went against the advice I gave him and 'upgraded' a 9600XT Radeon card to an FX5900 nVIDIA card.

His framerates took a serious dive. His 3DMark2001 score dropped by several thousand points.

Problem was, he GAVE THE OLD CARD AWAY. Boy, was HE p.o.'ed!!

Now, though, he listens to my counsel.

I suggest you run 3DMark2005 with the old one in and write down the score it gets. Then run DriverCleaner to remove the drivers, put the new card in and install the drivers for it.

Then run 3DMark again to see whaich one was the boss.

But don't expect any AA/AF or even Medium detail from that card with playable framerates in Doom III....sorry, man.

Next time, ask first! We don't bite and can point you in the right direction. Even a cheapo 6200 would have kicked that card's butt, and a 6600GT would have murdered it.

Maybe next time.

Anyhow, good luck.

3. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

fastvfr, thanks for the info - I should have done a little more research before I orderd it. So I really won't notice a jump in performance over my old GF3? I'd really wanted a NX6600-VTD256 but my funding wouldn't allow it. The FX5500 was more of an impulse buy because the price was right.

4. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

The joy of a great deal soon fades into the dull pain of the reality of getting poor quality.

5. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

Fine, fine, fine - I'll send it back and get the NX6600 like I should've in the first place...

6. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Good idea, Feet.

In the future, what you want to look for are the numbers in the Technical Specs for the card's Bandwidth.

The FX5500 runs about 6.4 GB/second.

The 6600GT pushes over 14 GB/s!!

Wonder why the FX is cheaper now?

Glad you decided to do the right thing, guy. Let us know how it works when you get it!

And do remember to use DriverCleaner before you pull the card in it now; otherwise it'll be running under a major handicap.

BTW, here is a link to nVIDIA's technical review pages.

7. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Lol :)

Trust me though, an extra possible week and a few more bucks will make a big difference ;)

8. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

It's funny how fast you can get out of touch with the state of technology. I used to read THG daily and now it's much less frequent. I spent hours researching my MB and proc before I took the plunge and ordered them. It was my 1st Intel build so I took my time. I've been ruinning the same set up since the fall of 03 and really didn't see the need for more power until I recently got into playing games, which really showed me how old my card was. I just assumed the my GF3 was so old that the FX had to be better so I didn't bother doing the reading that I should've.

Now all I need to do is add some more RAM and I should be set;)

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

What games are you planning to play?

A full gig helps in games like Far Cry and Doom III, but my GF has a rig I built her with a 2.4C, an Asus P4P800SE board and 512MB in a pair of Corsair PC3200 sticks.

It runs most games just fine even with that old FX5900 in it.

But, yeah, since you are presumably trying to future-proof your rig more RAM sure isn't a bad idea.

Quick question, though: do you have ONE stick or two of them in it now?!

If there's only one DIMM currently installed, buy an exact match for it. If there's two 256MB stix in there, then get a pair of 512's; TwinDIMM packs can be had pretty cheaply if you find 'em on sale.

Corsair's ValueRAM is fantastic and costs far less than it is worth. Lesser memory can cost a lot more.

And 1.5GB is about perfect for the games that are out now.

10. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

The only games I have or will for the near future are HALO and DOOM3 - I generally play them when I'm bored with surfing/researching...
    I've got a matched pair of HyperX 256 DIMM's in Dual Channel mode. The HyperX 1GB (2 x 512MB) will be my next addition.\

I've also been toying with the idea of adding a GIGABYTE GC-RAMDISK PCI SATA RAM Drive since RAM has been so cheap lately.

11. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

I've had friends suggest this to me for a while but never really thought about it.

My system is too slow for 3DMARK05 (big surprise) so I ran 3DMark01SE and 3DMark03:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really have no idea what most of this means....

12. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Well, by way of comparison, my sig rig gets 5600 points in 3DMark05 and over 65,000 in '01.

18,000 in '03.

It's your vid card holding you back, trust me. That FX card would have gotten even lower scores--my GF got by with the PNY 5500 for about two months before the budget recovered from her build enough to allow me to score this 6800GT and it was pathetic. A MX400 PCI card will do almost as well in benchmarks!!

And as far as the SATA RAM goes, I have no idea how much that'll help your framerates.

I'd upgrade the DIMMs first. You will probably see little need for more than 1.5GB of fast DDR, anyway.