close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just ordered a new laptop, tell me what you think.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Britt, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Britt

Britt What?

Well I just got approval for a tuition reimbursement program at work so I am going to be going back to school to finish my MBA so I needed a new laptop since my compaq is 4 years old and my desktop is 6 years old. Technology has came along way in that time.

I have had nothing but problems with my compaq so I didn't want another one. My dell desktop has been problem free for 6 years of hard use so I figured I would order another Dell.

Here is what I ordered so please tell me what you think. I also got a 12% discount through my MBA program and the sales guy extended the 2 year warrenty and 2 year accident coverage to 4 years for free and exchanged the dell mp3 player (which was free) for a gift card so I can purchase a 2.1 speaker system (any recommendations for around $100?). He was also kind enough to extend my anti-virus security to 36 months for free.

-XPS M140 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)

-Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

-LCD Panel 14.1 inch WXGA TrueLife™ LCD Panel

-Memory 1GB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms

-Video Card Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900

-Hard Drive 100GB 5400rpm Hard Drive

-Integrated Modem and NIC Internal 56K Modem and Integrated Network Card

-Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0

-Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

-Wireless Networking Cards Intel® PRO 2915 and Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Cards

-Office Software (not included in Windows XP) Microsoft Works Suite 2006- Includes MICROSOFT WORD plus much more!

-Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) PC-cillin Internet Security: AntiVirus, Firewall, Spyware removal 36-months

-Primary Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)

-Hardware Warranty SAVE $70 with Dell Gift Card 4Yr Ltd Warr,At-Home Srvc + Nights and Weekend

-CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service Add CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service to 4Yr Lim Warranty

-Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included

-Operating System Re-Installation CD Genuine Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition re-installation CD

-Dell Digital Entertainment Deluxe Entertainment Pack - Starter plus a total Music and Photo package

I'm not going to tell you want I paid (unless you really want to know) but it was way less that the $2,000+ that shows up if you price it online plus I got free shipping.

I am pretty happy

:)

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Looks pretty good. Harden it and protect it, and you should be fine with it.

BTW, I use a 'cheap' 2+1 set of Logitechs on my GF's PC and it sounds GREAT.

They are the X-230 model, and they are about $50.

Enjoy it!

3. JMag

JMag

Just pray you don't need service or tech support...

4. Britt

Britt What?

I have heard that but never experienced it. They also have a special staff of tech support and service people specifically for the XPS series so maybe it is better with them.

5. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Looks great. That'll more than get you through what you need.

I'm not sure if you're one to tinker around, but personally, as soon as the laptop came, I would either uninstall everything that comes pre-installed (including that free anti-virus trial... probably Norton) or I'd simply wipe it clean and reinstall the OS. Then I'd proceed to build the system back up using only the critical software (AVG or Avast anti-virus, both free and less problematic than Norton).

It always amazes me how much pre-installed trial crap vendors put on computers that hog up precious disk and memory resources and clutter, the desktop, start menu and registry (yes, I'm a bit retentive on having a clean system).

But, I digress.... :soap:

Nice purchase. Enjoy and good luck on the MBA. Hopefully I'll be doing the same once my little kids are in school.

Joey.

BTW, I'm on my 4th Dell and not only could I count my total support calls on one hand, they have all had outstanding responses. I would always recommend them for laptops. I think I'll build my next desktop.

6. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

In a year and a half 2 years you'll be glad you got the extended warranty. Dell tech support is hit or miss, about 6 of one half dozen of the other. I will be sending mine back for a refund as soon as they get off their lazy arses and send the shipping label and refund the card. Just remember laptop's are not made for games, no matter what they say. I agree with doing the wipe and reinstall, thats the smartest thing that can be done. I have the dell Inspiron 9100 3.2ghz chip, 128mb video card, 1 gig ram, 7200 rpm hard drive. The fans are not that great in this model, and the heat sink gets clogged.

7. Meademac

Meademac

My Wife's Dell needed service (dead space bar on keyboard,DC plug into motherboard) . Service tech came to the house the next day and disassembled and reassembled the laptop in 25 minutes. No service issue with me . I do have a 3 year warranty on the laptop.:)