Glock Talk banner

Just ordered a G20

1K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  Beanie-Bean 
#1 ·
I've been on the fence for a month or so but finally made the call a couple days ago. This site was a big help with regard to 10mm ammo and how most of the widely-available stuff is fairly weak -- I'll be doing some online ammo shopping while I wait for the gun to come in (apparently there aren't many non-SF models around currently). Going to buy a LWD .40 barrel for it too. I can't wait!

#3 · (Edited)
:perfect10: All the way.. you will not be disappointed. I have heard many guys say they shoot 40 cal in the 10 barrel. I'm not saying this should be done. I have read many treads and have not heard of any problems form any one who said they have done it. I too may buy a 40 cal barrel and a 9 and 357 for poops and giggles I will always carry the 10mm

I wish there was more info on shooting 40 in the 10 barrel, Anybody?

Cheaper than dirt sell 1200fps fMJ 185 for 500 I think they are find for range.

Full power I have heard a lot about Double Tap ammo, Georgia arms and few others some good and some bad On the DT but I have not tried it. before I do I'm going to try

Underwood Ammo Looks like some hot safe stuff at a great price.

Congrats on the G 20 I love mine and is now my daily carry. There are so many option they seem endless ammo and caliber mod what ever. the only thing I have done to mine was a 3.5lb trigger not a huge difference but feels great to me.

#4 ·
I've read several accounts of people shooting .40 in the factory 10mm barrel but I'm not going to take any chances, especially for the ~$120 that the LWD barrel costs.

I plan for this to be a range gun, but I do like to have some SD rounds for every caliber (and perhaps I'll pick up a G29 for CCW later). I've heard good and bad about Double Tap and am currently researching Buffalo Bore but haven't gotten too far yet. I'm not an FPS-only fiend, but it seems that even some of the "higher end" 10mm ammo outfits exaggerate their velocity claims to some extent. That said, I've read almost universally good things about Underwood, from whom I plan to purchase plinking ammo at the very least.

I've got LWD 3.5# connectors in my range G17 and G19 and really like the feel too. Will probably end up throwing one in the G20 as well.

I could have picked up a 20SF right away, but I've got big mitts and my G21 fits me so well I didn't want to mess with a winning formula. I knew my choice meant waiting for the gun to come in, but sometimes it's hard to be patient :D

#5 · (Edited)
Excellent choice! The lwd conversion barrel has been an excellent barrel for me! Not one failure of any kind! I would use it for SD and carry without hesitation. Ive had one or two issues with feeding with my stock barrel, pretty sure it was the ammo, but even still, technically, my conversion barrel is more reliable than my stock barrel!

Doubletap lies about their velocities, usually by 100-200fps, but it is still medium power for 10mm ammo. I, along with several others, absolutely refuse to buy from them though, because when the owner was confronted about the issues with his ammo hepretty much just said, "Ive got enough business to keep me busy, so why change?"

Underwood ammo is truly full power ammo, and meets or exceeds its velocities nearly every time! For the money, you can not beat Underwood! Buffalo bore also makes very hot ammo that meets its velocities, but it is very expensive, over a dollar a round typically. I would only buy buffalo bore if you had the need for a heavy hardcast round where a 200gr xtp, or fmj, absolutely could not be substituted...Hornady is another manufacturer whose ammo consistently meets its published velocities, however it is only medium power ammo, in spite of this, their 155gr xtp is still an excellent carry round, IMO.

As far as mods go, shoot it before you change anything, you may be surprised and really like it! However I felt like the trigger could be improved, and since I would mostly be shooting very hot ammo I knew I needed a heavier recoil spring to reduce battering of the gun, and keep my brass from flying 25 feet away. So here is a list of mods I did to my G20sf:

LWD trigger overtravel stop
Ghost 3.5lb connector
6lb trigger spring
ISMI 22lb recoil spring on a SS LWD guide rod
XS Big Dot 24/7 Night Sights
Chrome pin kit with extended slide release from rockyourglock.com

I use Ballistol to clean and oil it, Ive been very happy with it. Just a little advice in case you dont already know: make sure you coat the inside of the barrel (and anywhere else that may get dirty, like the feed ramp) with oil before you shoot it and every time you clean it. This will make cleaning the barrel a whole lot easier after you've shot it!

P.S. Be sure to check out the 10 Ring forum here, its under the "Gun-Related Clubs" section. Lots of good guys and good info!!! And, if youre a reloader, there is a reloading forum here totally dedicated to the 10mm!

#7 ·
Oh, and even though it can be done, I do not recommend shooting .40sw in the 10mm barrel, unless it is an emergency. Like you said, for the price, just buy the LWD conversion barrel. It saves me money when I just feel like plinking or punching holes in paper. For the longest time the cheapest ammo I would buy is Winchester White Box, even though Tulammo was quite a bit cheaper, I always just felt like it would be way too dirty and prone to misfeeds and such due to the casings. I finally broke down and tried tulammo one time, and found that it really isnt any dirtier than WWB, and has ran perfectly in my gun, even though it is fairly weak ammo, you can feel the difference between shooting it and WWB. But as weak as it is, it can still cycle the slide reliablywith the 22lb recoil spring installed, believe it or not. It does just barely dribble out and fall at my feet, but it has always worked!

#8 ·
Welcome to the club. Check out some of the U-Tube vidioes on 10mm ammo.I've been rolling my own 10mm ammo and get the same vel. (stock brl) that DT produces from a stock brl. Win STHP is a good factory ammo for carry and SD. Check out the 10 Ring and reloading forum.

#11 ·
Congrats! I carry Buffalo Bore185gr HP in my G20SF and Winchester Silvertips in my G29SF. My extra mags are all loaded with Winchester Silvertips.

#14 ·
It's all downhill from here. I bought 1 then another , and now want several more. If I could locate a few other models I will be at 10 before its all over. Next thing you know you will want a 610 then the 10xx seriers, then asking why more companys don't offer 10mm options.

#19 ·
Happy to say I picked up my G20 yesterday -- a friend of mine recommended another LGS that was able to get their hands on one in two days. Not sure why it never occurred to me to order ammo while I was waiting for the gun, but my Underwood stuff should be here Tuesday. I can't wait to try 10mm, with real ammo no less!

#20 ·
Great choice on the G20, it's a blast!

That being said, and in no way meaning to burst your bubble, just food for thought. For the price of a conversion barrel, you could buy a press, and probably the dies to reload the 10. Once you start shooting 10MM, shooting the 40, is just punching paper!:supergrin:

Get yourself a few hundred from here,

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx

and start reloading the spent cases.

#24 ·
Ronbars,

COngrats on the new G20. I have the G20SF, and like you I buy SD ammo for all my calibers. Also, my Gen3 G21 is the big old 2x4, full size grip. That thing is a beast! The lowers are interchangeable between 20/21, so you can switch one for the other if something breaks and while you are waiting for parts.

Enjoy it when it comes in, and congrats on the new 10mm.

#25 ·
Thanks for the info Beanie-Bean, that's good to know! I actually picked up the 20 yesterday and am just waiting for UPS to deliver my ammo. I haven't had any luck finding any commercial 10mm ammo locally, but from what I've seen/read most of it isn't much hotter than .40 anyway. I know it's going to be worth the wait, but it's killing me having the gun and nothing to shoot through it!

Just an aside -- what SD rounds do you prefer? Along with a few boxes of Underwood 180 grain plinking ammo, I also ordered a box of their 180 grain Gold Dot JHP to try out.

#26 ·
Thanks for the info Beanie-Bean, that's good to know! I actually picked up the 20 yesterday and am just waiting for UPS to deliver my ammo. I haven't had any luck finding any commercial 10mm ammo locally, but from what I've seen/read most of it isn't much hotter than .40 anyway. I know it's going to be worth the wait, but it's killing me having the gun and nothing to shoot through it!

Just an aside -- what SD rounds do you prefer? Along with a few boxes of Underwood 180 grain plinking ammo, I also ordered a box of their 180 grain Gold Dot JHP to try out.
As of late, I really like the Speer Gold Dot rounds for SD, as well as Hornady Critical Defense. That being said, the Hornady CD stuff was a bit underpowered when I shot some across the chrony.

Good choice on the Underwood ammo--it's been getting really good reviews by the guys over in the 10 Ring. I'll order some of that stuff here soon. I just missed the coupon for January, but will keep my eyes open for the next offer. Even if there isn't anything, I'll still order up some goodies from Underwood.

Another round which I haven't tried out yet is the Winchester Silver Tip--that's supposed to be an excellent round for SD, as well.

Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.