close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just ordered a DVD Burner...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by feetpiece, Sep 1, 2004.

1. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

2. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

Very nice Feet,
    I just got the sony installed yesterday with the same spec's.
    I however got mine from Circuit city for $159 with a $30 rebate...;Q
    didnt cost me a dime though I got it in trade for an old 1.4 athlon box I had sitting around ;f
    When you install it pay attention to the jumper settings I totally forgot about those and screwed up my install really well. took 2 days instead of 30 mins.;Q

3. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Yep. I've been amazed how quickly they have come down in price too. I just received and installed a Lite-On SOHW-832S. This one is x8, +/-R, +/-RW and can write double layer (8.4 GB, I think).

I'm thoroughly pleased with it so far, although I haven't tried the dual-layer writing yet.

BTW, picked that one up for $84.99.

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Oh yeah, you will love that burner. I still have one of the slower 4x burners, but I still love it! Only thing is, now I will want one of those dual-layer burners :(

5. Medpilot 2

Medpilot 2 Smkumifyagotum

Hey guys, question here

I'd like to burn some home movies that I have on VHS on to DVD, but I'm not sure what kind of video card I need. Would I need one with a TV tuner? Or just a video input?

I know I would need to replace the video card I have now. I think it only has a video out.

Some help?

Thanks,

:)

6. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

I initially built my machine to do just that - turn my Hi-8 videos into DVD's. I've got an old MSI GForce3 Ti-200 with video in/out. The only problem is encoding(digitizing) the analog footage in the best possible format prior to editing. This being AVI but windows has a 4 gig file size limit and a 15 min video can exceed 20 gigs. To overcome this limit I used VirtualDub. I'm a bit rusty because I haven't messed with it in about two years so I can't go into detail about how it works.

Basically all you'd need is a video card with video in capability, a BIG HD for your media, virtualdub and editing software like Premier Pro. I have no experience with Pinnacle or Dazzle, just Premier, Avid, and (Leitch) DPS VelocityQ.

It can be done but it is a hobbie in and of itself...

7. Medpilot 2

Medpilot 2 Smkumifyagotum

feetpiece--

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the windows limitation concerning AVI file formates.

I have a 200GB HD, so it looks like I'm okay in that department.

8. saber41

saber41 Guest

Lite-On drives are great, I've purchased several of them from NewEgg including a DVD-RW, never had a problem with them.

9. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

I use WinDVD Creator 2, with the capture format set as HQ DVD. The quality is amazing, and the file size for an entire 2 hour DVD is well under 10 gigs.

10. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

I need a new one, last night i tossed my laptop onto the couch while hitting the eject button, it busted the tray in half and cut the cable that runs the laser. 1 month old laptop with a dual layer burner, I'm pissed.

11. feetpiece

feetpiece Unforgiven

Well it FINALLY made it in yesterday and I swapped it out with my plain CD-ROM drive. This is great, I can "watch" LOTR while surfing. All I need now is a minifridge next to my desk....

12. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Noob questions guys.

Do all DVD-writers also able to write to ordinary CD-R's? How about +R and -R media, what's the difference aside from the price?

Thanks a lot.

13. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

I'm fairly new to the world of DVD burning myself (I'm an old salt when it comes to CD burning, however).

DVD burners can burn CD-R disks as well as CD-RW disks, in most cases. It should be fairly simple to find that information out before you buy a drive.

As far as your DVD+R/DVD-R question, this link might answer that:

http://www.monroeworld.com/dvd/overview.htm