close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just One More Reason Firefighters Don't Rescue Cats From Trees

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by DepChief, Aug 21, 2006.

1. DepChief

DepChief Get Tous's Rope

The Associated Press

A man angry at firefighters who refused to rescue a cat from a tree was arrested after he started shooting at the fire crew, officials said.

Jeffrey Cullen, 58, was charged with four felony counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, Mohave County Sheriff's spokeswoman Trish Carter said.

A three-person fire crew went to Cullen's home Thursday when he reported a tree fire, but found no blaze, Hualapai Valley Fire Department spokeswoman Sandy Edwards said.

Instead, Cullen told firefighters he wanted a cat rescued from his tree and knew they would only respond to a fire call, Edwards said. A battalion chief told Cullen to call animal control or wait for the cat to get hungry and come down.

Cullen apparently didn't like the response, Edwards said.

"He went back into the house, got a small black revolver and came outside shooting," she said.

The firefighters and a 12-year-old boy who had come to see the fire truck ran for their lives, Edwards said. No one was injured.

Deputies arrested Cullen after a brief standoff and struggle.

2. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

3. Smokecloud

Smokecloud

Have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree???? Trust me, it WILL come down on its own, even if it takes a couple of days.

4. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

Come on!!! Every one know the wind blow the skeleton out of the tree.
    :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

I hope this guy rotts for a long time.

5. CRider

CRider Crider who?

I can honestly say that I've taken part in one cat rescue off of a houseroof :animlol: This was probably 14 or 15 years ago. The cat was in a tree above the roof and fell out onto the roof and was there for a few days before the owner called our chief and asked if we could. Granted, if he'd said no, I kinda doubt that 85yo lady would have come after us with a gun...but nowadays I suppose you never know :animlol:

6. FirNaTine

FirNaTine

I have done the cat in a tree rescue. A homeowner called about a cat 15 or so feet up in a tree in her front yard. I wore my coat, gloves, and such cause I didn't feel like getting scratched. When I brought the cat down I was carrying it by the scruff of the neck so I could control it and keep one hand free for the ladder. I asked the homeowner where I could put the cat until it settled down, and she said just give it to me. I tried to convince her that just handing it over was a recipe for disaster. Anyway the second I hand it over she was bleeding and the cat was off. I asked her if her cat was up to date on shots and she said "That wasn't my cat." I told her to call her doc and ask about treatment for the unknown cat bites / scratches.

The better one was for a bird in a tree. Yup. Worst part was is that we already had an engine on scene who called for us on a 110' truck to get the bird. It was a parrot, about 60' in the air. I got close and the bird took off and flew out of sight. Lets just say, I didnt care. We packed up and went home.