close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just moved up....

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by dropfree, Apr 16, 2006.

1. dropfree

dropfree

Hi all....
    I just thought I'd throw a thread out there and say hi. I've been riding an old K75 for a few years and recently got the itch to move up to something a little newer. So far I can't pry myself away. Does the addiction to riding ever go away??? :) Whatcha think?
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Once you do Beemer, you don't go back.:cool:

Have you already bought this thing or still contemplating. Because if you're tall enough you should consider the Boxer Cup Replika, especially the 2004 model. The upgraded suspension is worth the extra money.

3. dropfree

dropfree

I know.....and I've been drooling over the red white and blue paint scheme for some time now. That picture is actually in my driveway. It's a pretty low mileage 2004. I've heard a lot of recommendations to upgrade to Ohlins suspension. Do you think it's worth the money?
    -Jay

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The Ohlins are expensive and good. As far as if they're worth the money, that's something that you'll have to decide.

I'd suggest Works Performance Shocks products before Ohlins. Don't get me wrong, Ohlins are the world's standards when it comes to premium suspension and they are recognized as such for a reason. But for certain things, you can get stuff that are almost as good or just as good for a lot less money. Works Performance is very well respected for their offroad suspension AND for making a lot of BMW suspensions. They make shocks only and they make a lot of rear shocks for other bikes too, but it seems like they are very knowledgeable with BMW shocks (one for the front and one for the rear). For around a hair less than $1200 you can get both the front and rear. Price out Ohlins and it's more like $1800 or more.

And most importantly Works will make a set specifically for you. It gets to the point where it's not even the money but the actual products themselves. If you're going to go through the hassles of getting aftermarket suspension then why not get something that fits YOUR needs and YOUR style of riding, and most importantly YOUR weight.

Works is next on my list of things to do to my Rockster.

And when your shocks wear out, it's really cheap to send it back to Works for a rebuild. Rebuild is like less than $100. http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html

You call them up and chat with them about what you want done and how you ride and they will make up a set specifically for you. And it doesn't cost any more than their standard set. The rear shock for the R1100S has several different options that allow for more adjustments, so it ranges between high-500 to low-700. Looks like the front is offered in one model only for low-400.

I am having an appointment at Race-Tech to revalve and respring my Aprilia this Friday coming up. Once again, I won't have Ohlins or Penske brands to show off, but Race-Tech will tune the suspension specifically for me and even set up the darn thing for me. No more guess works. Too bad Race-Tech doesn't do rebuild for BMWs or otherwise I'd recommend them too.