close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just lost my best friend

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by BobRicks, Aug 26, 2006.

1. BobRicks

BobRicks

I just got back from the vet's office where we had to put our 15 year old Mini Daschund to sleep. I am really hurting right now. She was diagnosed with cancer of the lining of her chest cavity back in May 05, and at that time, the vet thought she would only make it another couple of months. I guess she fooled him. She made it a year and 3 months.

She had been on two lasix tablets a day for about the last 6 months in an effort to help her get rid of the fluid that was building up in her lungs and chest cavity. This morning she was breathing pretty good, but this afternoon when I came in from the golf course, her breathing was very labored, and I could tell she was starting to suffer. I could not stand to see that, so I called the vet, and he confirmed what I suspected, it was time to let her go.

I haven't cried this hard in a long time. We got her when she was about 4 months old, and got to enjoy her for 15 years. She slept between my wife and me at night, and had since the day we brought her home.

If you are drinking tonight, tip one back in memory of Miss Sophe' Clara Ricks, the best weenie dog in the whole world.

Sophe', I sure am gonna miss you girl. Bye-Bye.

Keep me and my wife in your thoughts as we go through this difficult time. I always hated to read threads like this knowing what was eventually going to happen with her, but now I am the one having to type one.

Think I'll go cry a little more, then drink a cold beer in memory of my best friend that I just lost.

Thanks buddies.

2. Mrs. Crit

Mrs. Crit

I'm new here and I'm not sure how welcome my condolences might be as such... But I can't stop myself.

I had to put down my 10 year old doxie just this last spring and you have my deepest sympathies and respect for making the difficult decision to do what was best for your loved one.

She'll be awaiting you at the Rainbow Bridge.

3. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

BobRicks and Kolfrosta, My Prayers are with both of you. I know what you are going through. 3 years ago we had to put Roxanne to sleep. My wife found her on July 4th 1993. My wife was going to the store to pick up a few things for our 4th of July barbecue. On her way to the store she was behind a pickup truck. The pickup threw a plastic bag out of the window. When my wife got closer she saw the bag was moving. She stopped and opened the bag and out popped Roxanne. She brought her home and asked if we could keep her. What could I say one kiss from Roxanne and I was hooked. Through the years she developed Congenital Heart Failure and we had her on Lasix to remove the fluid from her lungs. It was right after Easter in 2003 when she couldn't stop coughing and she was having trouble breathing. We took her to the vet for the shot and her heart was pumping so slow that it took awhile for the shot to work. I held Roxanne in my arms the whole time so she wouldn't be scared. I cried like a baby when Roxanne was gone. She was the Greatest. She used to chase squirrels every chance she got. To this day whenever I see a squirrel I think of Roxanne. We have 12 little ones and they are all strays that no one wanted. They have plenty of Love to give and we enjoy everyone of them.

4. gdnctr

gdnctr

BobRicks,

God Bless your little friend and companion. He's at The Rainbow Bridge, with Pickle and countless other pets. It's exactly how I felt when my little friend and companion, Pickle, died, last August 17th.

Here's <a href="http://www.gdnctr.com/pickle.htm" target="_blank"><b>Pickle's Page</b></a> memorial on my corporate website, and <a href="http://www.gdnctr.com/aug_19_05.htm" target="_blank"><b>Pickle's Page</b></a> in my <U><I>Weekly Journal</I></U>, the week he died.

Time heals all wounds, B, I guess. I still miss him terribly. You'll miss your little friend, for a long time; trust me. Bonding with him as you did over the years, makes you inseparable, over time.

Wish him, RIP, everyday.

5. gdnctr

gdnctr

"Miss Sophe' Clara Ricks"

he = she. sorry...

6. gdnctr

gdnctr

Kolfrosta & Glock_36,

God Bless both of your little friends and companions, who are waiting for you at 'The Rainbow Bridge'.

If you get a chance, pls drop by my tribute to my 15 year friend and companion, Pickle, who's been gone just over a year, now.

Here's <a href="http://www.gdnctr.com/pickle.htm" target="_blank"><b>Pickle's Page</b></a> memorial on my corporate website, and <a href="http://www.gdnctr.com/aug_19_05.htm" target="_blank"><b>Pickle's Page </b></a> in my Weekly Journal, the week he died.

Cherish their memories, Friends...

7. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Bob.......

I am so sorry to hear what you and your wife are going through.......15 years is one heck of a long time, but not nearly long enough in my book.

My thoughts and prayers are with you this night.

"Don't cry because it is over, instead, smile because it happened".

8. BobRicks

BobRicks

Peachie and everyone else--

Thanks for the kind words. I am doing better this morning as I realize that Sophe' is not suffering and having such a hard time breathing. I know that we did the right thing for her. I can now sit back and look at pictures and just remember the great times I had with her.

If I can find a good picture, I know what my next tattoo will be. I am going to get a picture of Sophe' put on my body somewhere so she will always be with me.

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I am late arriving but I share your heartbreak :hugs: :angel:

I had my Alf over 19 years when we put him down :crying:

10. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

gdnctr, May God Bless You for taking care of One of His Creatures.
    Pickles was a Beautiful Cat. Thank You for sharing with us.

11. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

Bob, I am so sorry to hear about Sophe' passing. I haven't checked woof's forum in a while and I usually avoid these posts for obvious reasons, but somehow I was inclined to read yours. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. I have been where you are and I dread the day that it comes again (and it will), but we must remember all of the great times and let time heal us. They are with us for far too short of a time but have such a huge impact on our lives. You will be together again, this I truly believe. :angel:

12. Rylos1

Rylos1 NRA Endowment CLM

Sorry to hear about it.

If you are drinking tonight, tip one back in memory of Miss Sophe' Clara Ricks, the best weenie dog in the whole world.

I'm late but I'll raise a glass tonight.

13. BobRicks

BobRicks

Well, I sat in the floor last night and went through about 500 pictures looking for a good picture of Sophe' that I could use as a guide for a tattoo. I found one that might work, and the art teacher at my school is going to do a pencil drawing for me to take to my tattoo artist. Talked to him today and he said that would work for him if he had some kind of outline to go by.

Probably will get the tattoo done next week, and after it has healed up, I will try and post a picture for all to see. Am really missing that little mutt, but the other two dogs I have left are making it a little easier for me. They seem to sense something is different, and have both been paying me a little more attention than normal for them.

Thanks again to all my GT brothers and sisters for the kind words.

Bob