close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just joined the G17 Gen4 "Club" but have some concerns

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glock_en_speil, Jan 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Glock_en_speil

Glock_en_speil

Hi Guys,

I'm kind of a noob to guns and just purchased my first handgun, a G17 Gen 4. I've read all of the horror stories but this gun really felt the most comfortable in my hand. I rented one at the local range before I bought one. At the range I had several FTF issue, some of which were my own fault because I was holding the gun wrong. I "paid the price" for this when the slide took off a nice chunk of skin off the knuckle of my thumb - OUCH! :embarassed: That'll teach me.

At the range they had me use Remington UMC 115 Grain and I understand this stuff is kind of on the weak side and isn't the best for use in the G17 Gen 4 so perhaps my FTF's had something to do with that as well?

Here's a question for you more experienced folks that I'm hoping you can give me your opinions on. The gun shop was temporarily out of the G17 Gen 4 on the day I wanted to buy it so they ordered me one from a distributor. The gun came in about 6 days later. I picked it up took it home and checked it out. I was kind of disappointed to learn that the test fire date was all the way back on 2-5-10 which means this gun was sitting around at the distributor for about 10 months! Is that anything to be concerned about? :whistling:

I know these guns have FTF/FTE issues with weaker ammunition so I picked up a box of Remington Golden Saber HPJ 124 Grain. Anyone have any FTF issues with this stuff? Would this be the preferred type of round to use with the Gen 4?

Knowing the gun was an early production Gen 4 I also called Glock to order the latest recoil spring. They asked for my serial number (which by the way is PFDXXX). If anyone else reading this has a gun with the same prefix I would appreciate your feedback on it. I'm hoping I got one of the good ones. :upeyes:

Even though this is my first I want to thank you guys for all the help you've given me already. I spent a few weeks reading this forum before joining and the wealth of information here is absolutely amazing!

2. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Welcome to the club! My advice: Take a class and...Go shoot it!

[​IMG]

3. dtd80

dtd80

Check the back of your recoil spring assembly. Not sure what the latest revision is. If you research you should find it. Last I heard it was "021" stamped on the back was the latest.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. byronf1

byronf1

Did you see what number is stamped on the recoil spring?, I have a 17 Gen4 and shoot like 200 rounds, Wolf 115 FMJ, and I didnt have problem with that. On the 17, is 0 2 1 the latest version as far I know, I have o mine 0 2.

5. dtd80

dtd80

whoops! might've been on the Glock 19 which was "0-4". Will edit my previous post to prevent bad info going around.

6. tx787

tx787

I have a PFD prefix Gen4 G17 that I bought in March of 2010. I have 900 rounds through it without any problems of any kind. I did the following to break it in, 150 rounds of 124 gr Speer Lawman and left the orange grease on the rails. After that I fired 115 gr WWB, and some other random stuff with zero issues. I have the "too strong" recoil spring from the G22 and I still haven't had a hiccup. I called Glock and asked for the new spring just to have a replacement, but I haven't swapped it out because frankly there's no need to.

I think you're in great shape with the PFD prefix because you should have the older slide finish like mine (glossy black as opposed to the newer gray) which I think looks a lot better and shows less wear (mine looks brand new after 900 rounds).

Enjoy your gun, practice a lot with it, get some extra mags (the older mags work as long as you don't reverse the mag catch).

Leave it stock unless you decide you want night sights (I recommend Glock factory) and/or the factory extended slide stop.

7. Glock4President

Glock4President

Welcome. You will have no problems with the golden sabre. They are great break-in rounds. They are hot. If you got the +p ones. My glock loves those things. They are real accurate too. Good luck.

8. JBP55

JBP55

My G4 G17 has been flawless for more than 13,000 rounds. Shoot the gun with the correct spring and ammunition and quit worrying.

9. glockvit

glockvit Glock Sportsman

Glock 17 gen 4 is a great gun... the first glock model, and continue to be a winner. You have a nice gun, so just get some practice with an experience shooter or with a certified instructor and then just enjoy the gun.

10. Glock_en_speil

Glock_en_speil

Thanks for all the good advice fellas. I believe the recoil spring that came with the gun is unmarked. When I racked the slide in the gun shop I noticed it was ~really~ stiff. I don't mind if the gun won't fire cheap-o rounds because my primary reason for buying this one is as a "backup" night stand gun. My Remington 870 shotgun is my first line of defense when something goes "bump" in the middle of the night but I wanted something else just in case I can't get to the shotgun right away.

I believe Glock is sending me the "02" spring and the customer service rep I spoke to was very nice. I think they are great company to do business with and I look forward to getting a few more of them. Like you guys say, Glocks are very addictive. :supergrin:

I almost went for an M&P but decided that Glock was the way to go because it was the gun that started it all when it comes to the Polymer frame. That means they have the most experience and the largest following. Thanks again for your opinions and by the way I'm definitely going to get some professional training, that's really excellent advice. I look forward to spending some time here. This forum is a REALLY great place! :thumbsup:

11. raising_arizona

raising_arizona

13 000 rounds? :wow: Nice! I need to catch up to you. :supergrin:

12. tx787

tx787

You made the right choice, the M&P isn't a bad gun it just isn't any better than the Glock and they stole Glock's designs to make it (well they stole for the Sigma and the M&P is the Gen2 Sigma).

Even though it's going to be a backup you should run about 200 rounds through it to familiarize yourself with it and to make sure you don't have a lemon, even though that's unlikely.

You can save $ on ammo by getting Winchester NATO 9mm FMJ, Speer Lawman 124gr TMJ, Winchester Ranger NATO FMJ, etc and practicing with that, they are FMJ practice ammo choices that have similar power and feel to self defense ammo. If you live somewhere where you can buy online a website like ammunitiontogo will have Ranger NATO FMJ for about $12 a box.

13. JBP55

JBP55

Correct, It would be more if I did not shoot my other pistols occasionally.

14. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:agree:

15. KarlThomas

KarlThomas

You'll go broke shooting Golden Sabres at the range, but they are an excellent defensive option.

Pretty much anything but Federal Champion and UMC should run fine in your Gen 4 G17 (though these work fine in some of them). You can shoot these brands, it won't hurt the gun, just understand that you may in fact have some feed/eject problems if you use them.

16. G4_G17perfection

G4_G17perfection

Dont worry about it man, I have a Gen 4 17 as well and it has been flawless I love that gun! I agree with maybe running some hot loads first but I have shot everything from Federal to Monarch no prob.

17. Mr. Gekko

Mr. Gekko

18. glockguerilla

glockguerilla

I've had 100% zero ftf/fte ...but I'm typically shooting gold dot 124 +p ammo in Gen4 17. Several hundred round count.