Just heard on Fox News. Guest pastor claims “shooting a taser at a police officer is only a misdemea

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by securitysix, Jun 14, 2020.

1. securitysix

securitysix

I am not and do not claim to be student of law. However, when can you shoot any weapon at a law enforcement officer and expect no violent response ?
    This is getting so out of hand.
    Anybody can defend themselves as long as their not law enforcement.
    But let a 911 call get anything other than a Johnny on the spot response and it’s a national news story.
    Will it ever be a rational end ?

Agonizer, nevernuffglock, B C and 2 others like this.
  2. collim1

collim1

UNLAWFUL use of a taser or pepper spray is a felony assault in my state.

Felony assault equals deadly force response in many circumstances.

The Taser is less lethal when used correctly with proper training and intentions.

Using it incorrectly or to disable your victim so you can disarm and/or murder them is a deadly force assault.

3. blueiron

blueiron

When a religious "expert" can academically explain theodicies with concurrence in predicate logic, I'll listen.

That "pastor" knows nothing of the law.

4. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

I have not heard anyone in the news cite the potential for an officer to have firearm taken as a result of being tased.

I think the pastor should stick to theology and leave issues of deadly force to those who have the most to lose.

5. Full Semi-auto

Full Semi-auto

Saw that a few hours ago when I was at the gym. I almost fell off the treadmill when I heard her say that. Completely clueless.

billy_56081 likes this.
  6. walke121

walke121

This is messed up and they have officer is already fired. The union will go after this hard. It might not have been a lethal weapon but they are talking about this like the guy was using a water gun. If you pass out in a drive through. Fail your sobriety test, resist arrest, fight a cop over it steal his taser and point and shoot at a cop I think them using their gun is completely fine. They already saying loving family man, loves God, has 4’kids now that don’t have a dad, etc.

Well I know what would’ve prevented his death 100% for certain. Don’t drive to Wendy’s drunk (or high) and pass out in a drive through then take the arresting officers gun and try to use it on him.

Yes it’s so sad he died but this isn’t the same as the Floyd case. This man is the cause of his own death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Triple Taps

Triple Taps

"Brings a knife to a gunfight". comes to mind.

Translated: You mean the idiot shot at a police officer with the officer's taser, and the officer had a gun?

billy_56081 likes this.
  8. walke121

walke121

Well he’s supposed to be in jail right now until 7/2021 so I’m guessing he was on probation and that’s why he resisted and got killed.
    [​IMG]

9. RocPO

RocPO

He didn't "steal" the taser as in a petit larceny
    He committed a robbery (using force to take property) which is a damn felony.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The lefty talking point of the day is "a Taser is non-lethal so you can't shoot somebody for trying to shoot you with one." They intentionally try to mislead people into ignoring the obvious - that anything that incapacitates you makes you helpless to prevent the criminal from killing you with your own gun, a rock, his pocket knife, etc.

Using deadly force isn't about responding to the degree of force being used against the officer, it's about responding to somebody trying to incapacitate you. For example, let's say a criminal gets the officer's handcuffs and wrestles him down and starts to handcuff him - handcuffs are not a deadly weapon - he probably won't even be handcuffed - but do you think he can use his gun to prevent himself from being handcuffed? Yes, he can.

badge315, fla2760, Agonizer and 3 others like this.
  11. walke121

walke121

It’s a terrible situation but this wasn’t unjustified or police brutality. It was terrible timing. I unlike George who was on the ground restrained and telling the police I can’t breath and he was still choked almost 9 min. I listened to the audio. The cops have a split second to decide if they need to use their gun and making that decision after someone is resisting arrest and steals has taser and pointed and shot at an officer and the officer used his gun. He had a fraction of a second to make that choice. They don’t have the luxury to second guess and analyze every little detail like the mediate going to do.

12. OXMYX

OXMYX

George pistol whipped a pregnant woman then stuck the barrel of the gun in her stomach. He got the max five years due to the nature of the crime.

13. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

These shootings are going to occur with increased frequency. People see there is no price to pay for assaulting LEOs and become more emboldened by the day. Assaults will escalate as people are beginning to believe that police are not allowed to fight back. Our society has crossed a line that few have chosen to cross before. Prepare for a long hot summer. The media are hoping for it.

14. AGF0526

AGF0526

Here its disarming a Peace Officer which is a felony.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

sixgun2 likes this.
  15. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

Felony/misdemeanor/violation/offense. What difference does it make. LEOs are screwed by the "new normal" where a politician decides within minutes that an officer should be fired, that those backing up the officer should be fired and works with prosecutors to see that the officers are criminally charged within hours.

And good luck with your inner-city juries. It won't be a fair trial by any means. Also good luck with bench trials where politics trump justice.

Dreamaster likes this.
  16. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

*** THIS***

17. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

The only purpose he’d have in pointing a Taser at the officer was to disable him, and likely to disarm him.

One of our deputies was disarmed of her Taser, shot with it(darts to the head) and then her gun. For reasons unknown but that we’re all still thankful for, he didn’t shoot her. He did shoot at bystanders but missed. Our deputy suffered a broken jaw and a TBI, and had to be retired.

By the way, the suspect chickened out when SWAT got him. Between that and the home invasion rape he was in custody for, he’s doing six consecutive life sentences plus 138 years. With a snitch jacket.

Agonizer, Newcop761 and NMG26 like this.
  18. Intolerant

Intolerant

Pastor should just do pastor things, and let the cops do cop things.

Agonizer likes this.
  19. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Would have been quite a sight to see him disarm the police officer while running in the opposite direction.

He got like mad skillz!!

Seems pretty obvious that the whole fire the tazer while running thing was to try and get the cop to stop chasing him. ( Which he did, just not as the dirt bag would have preferred, but hey, he did stop chasing him!).

I think the world is likely a much better place without Brooks. But the whole he was trying to disable the officer to disarm and kill him thing, simply doesn't pass the smell test.

What, he is going to stop running, come back and try to disarm him while the other officer there does what? Stands there and does nothing more than plead, " hey man, stop that right now, I mean it!"

Not buying it.

And let me point out, if is intention was to taze an officer and take his weapon he had the perfect opportunity when he gained control of the taser and got to his feet.

Instead he ran.

Just to be clear I don't think the officer deserves to be charged with a crime, though he will be I am sure.

I think GA statutes provide justification for the shooting. But the I thought he was going to taze me and take my gun isn't going to fly with a jury.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  20. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

I got another question,

I am not familiar with that model taser does it have a safety on it?