close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just got my SWR GS9K2 for my Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by amphibian, Nov 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. amphibian

amphibian

I got a KKM barrel as recommended by SWR. They shipped the barrel to me and I proceeded to make sure it shoots fine. It ran with whatever I put through it. Winchester white box, S&B 115 grain, 124 grain Dynamit Noble, Special K subsonic and my reloads which are a duplicate of what Dr. Dater of Gemtech uses (also very similar to Special K).
    I put the can on and it won't cycle with my reloads or with the Special K. It didn't cycle with the 124 grain Dynamit Noble at first either. I put about 300 rounds of S&B through it WITHOUT the can attached and now it cycles with the 124 Grain Dynamit Noble. It still will not cycle with my reloads or the Special K.
    Talked to Joe at SWR and he was saying that I have an unusually tight barrel and that I can send it back with my gun and he will get it running. I've decided to mess with it myself first.
    I put some lapping compound on the barrel and it is smoother now but still won't cycle the 147 grain Special K.
    Thinking about going to a weaker recoil spring but didn't want to do this. Just wondering what others are using in their SWR equipped Glocks. Are you guys using the factory recoil spring or a weaker one?

2. r2kba

r2kba Relax

Hey post some pics of your toys :)

I would just send it to Gemtech. Pain in the butt yeah, but you dont wanna do anything to put your warranty at risk.

3. ProGlock

ProGlock He is The One

First off, check to make sure the barrel isn't TOO tight in the pistol. I know on mine when I first put in the KKM, I had to work the slide several times by hand to get the action going smooth. Try doing that for a while, then load in some regular loads (without suppressor). Shoot those for a while, then try subsonic (without suppressor). After it seems to cycle ok, then put on the K2 - it's fun!

4. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Here is a pic of my two SWR Pistol Cans:

[​IMG]

Top: Glock 21, KKM 6 inch hunting barrel, with SWR HEMS Suppressor and M6 Illuminator. Factory Springs.

Bottom: Glock 34, Glock 17L barrel, with SWR GS9K2 Suppressor, Dr Optics Sight, and M3 Illuminator. Factory Springs.

Ammo:

G21: Just about everything works in the G21, though I mostly use Blazer, I have also used Winchester White Box.

G34: I only use Federal 147 grain. I get it from ammoman.com. It is super-quiet. I tried some 115 grain Blazer, and some Winchester White Box, but the sonic crack was significant.

Suggestions:

1) Make sure the gun runs fine without a suppressor. My G21 KKM barrel did not run well at first. It needed to be broken in.

2) At first, I noticed that after a few uses, some jamming. I traced this to the LCD, which was very mucked up. Joe uses Superlube, I switched to Militec-1, which seems a lot cleaner, and have not had any problems since.

5. UZIFORME

UZIFORME

Joe is the one with the experience in making his units run. That is where I would send it.

6. amphibian

amphibian

Thanks for the info.
    As I stated in my first post, yes the gun runs FINE with all the ammo I put through it with the threaded KKM barrel withOUT the can attached.
    With the can on, it runs with 124 grain. It is just not running with my 147 Grain "Doctor Dater" load NOR with Special K subsonic.
    It does run with some 147 grain load I made with AA#7.
    Joe at SWR said it should run with the Special K.
    I have an SMG match coming up soon and plan on using this setup as my sidearm. I want to play with it some before I send it back to Joe. If I have to, I will just use 124 grain for the match.
    Renegade, I'm glad you replied as you have first hand experience.
    I too noticed he was using that superlube and it didn't seem that smooth. I also put something else in there and now it is at least stovepiping with my 147 when before it wouldn't even go back that far.
    I think you have a FA glock connector. Have you ever tried it with one of your SWR cans?
    Here is my setup all competition ready in my holster. I forward mounted my Docter sight so it doesn't get in the way when I rack the slide. I also like this setup as I don't have to remove the rear sight.
    [​IMG]

7. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Yes it should. My NFA dealer uses the exact same setup as you: G19, KKM, Special K.

:) I think I will pass on that one. Even in semi-auto, the can unthreads slightly from recoil after a full magazine, I would be afraid of a baffle strike. I will leave FA suppressed 9mm duties to my Uzi/Mossad.

The forward Dr. looks great. How did you mount it? Drill into top of slide?

8. amphibian

amphibian

Yes, I asked Joe about putting the can on a FA glock and he told me that it wouldn't work. Just wondering...Like you, I'll keep my suppressed FA use to my Uzi's and M16's.

I bought an extra slide off one of the boards.
    I used a $17 Docter mount and milled off the dovetail except a small area to act as a "lug" to prevent front to back movement when mounted. I milled a pocket into the slide for the "lug" to go in. Then drilled and tapped the slide. So it has like 3 "mounting points".

I figured that my only limitation is holstering the gun with the forward mounted Docter but I already have that limitation with the suppressor attached. My holster solves both of those problems.
    I always can go back to my original slide.

I bought a complete brand new Glock Upper (barrel, slide, all parts) from the boards for $249. Now some guy on Sturmegewhr has stripped slides for only $65. Where was he when I needed him :(

my website - www.c3junkie.com

9. ski2060

ski2060

I just have a question about the suppressors... exactly what good are they for competition shooting? Do they make your weapon more contorllable or more accurate?

I mean, why would someone want to go ahead and get their tax stamp and pick up a SWR or any other mfg suppressor for their pistol?

10. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Research suggests they increase fps, and tighten groups. While this is great for rifle, might not be practical for speed shooting with pistols. YMMV.

Same reason I have a muffler on my car, and don't live near an airport - prolonged exposure to 150+ dBs is not a good thing. Wife, dogs, neighbors, prefer not to hear repeated muzzle blasts.

11. amphibian

amphibian

As I stated above, I am using this setup for my sidearm for SMG competitions. My SMG is suppressed. This helps a lot when you are shooting FA and hitting steel plates. You can easily hear when you hit the plates. I don't wear hearing protection when using my suppressed SMG. Some stages require use of a pistol. With a suppressed pistol, I now don't have to wear hearing protection at all. My rifle is suppressed too but that is another story.

As RenegadeGlocker stated, a suppressed pistol may not be practical for speed pistol shooting. That is NOT what I'm using mine for. The competitions I'm talking about, the SMG is the primary weapon.

12. ski2060

ski2060

Thanks for the answers. Seems pretty common sense... sound reduction duh :p

I just thought they might have another practical use for shooting... as opposed to not waking the baby up if you have to shoot some idiot breaking into your house at 3:00 AM :D

I guess that would be good enough for me though.

13. TenMil

TenMil Cottonwood Tree

Please source this "research".

14. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Just about any review of suppressor performance includes FPS and MOA effect. Increase of FPS is referred to as "Free Bore Boost". Most of what I read is from Small Arms Review, they have suppressor reviews every month. This month is on SWR centerfire suppressors. Larry Gaglio at CCF also will tell you about how his suppressor increases FPS and tightens groups. Web sites of most of the manufacturers will also tout it as a selling point.

A good example is Small Arms Review, V7N1, October 2003, by Al Paulson.

15. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

I wonder if the mounting screws for the optic go all the way thru the slide and might be dragging on the barrel (losing recoil energy)?

What holster is that?

16. amphibian

amphibian

NO WAY!! I did the mount myself. I definitely checked the screws. I did have to grind them down a bit so they wouldn't poke through.

It is a Ghost Holster.

17. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Then I'd likely look to a lighter recoil spring. There is a lot of weight out on the end of that barrel...with leverage.

18. amphibian

amphibian

I have already went the lighter recoil spring route since I'm impatient but that also brings other issues into the picture.

Joe at SWR is telling me the problem has to do with the barrel needing a break in and I think he is right. I have applied some lapping compound and it has gotten better. Ammo that it wouldn't cycle with before does now.

The weight is not really an issue since this suppressor has a LID.
    I also have an SWR GSG40 which is heavier than the GS9K2 and it runs flawlessly with NO mods.