close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just got my Nick Mathews #1 in the mail

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by thegriz18, Feb 22, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

First impression was :wow:! This is a nice piece of leather. I'm wearing it right now, breaking it in. It needs to conform to my body more. The fit is superb and the snaps are very secure. I'd say Nick knows what he is doing. Further review will happen in a few days once it breaks in and I can wear it more. I'll work on pics if people want them.

2. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I have been carrying with the NM#1 for a few weeks now. It has started to become very comfortable, is very secure, and is very concealable. A friend of mine is jealous because it makes my G23 disappear so well. Mostly all is well with this holster. I like it very much and hope that it keeps working well for me. I somewhat prefer it to my MTAC because it has a more secure hold on my G23, however I do give the MTAC a one up on it for comfort. That however could change the more I wear the #1.

I do have one issue with the #1. I am afraid it might be a major issue. I hope it goes away. The dye rubs off on my pants. I took the holster off the other night when I wore it with some light tan pants and I had black marks on my pants inside and out. Picture is attached. I have contacted Nick Mathews about this and am awaiting a response. Has anyone else encountered this issue with a holster? If so, how did you fix it? Picture attached. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010

3. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Yeah, I have this issue with holsters and belts. The nice thing about it is that the holster and belt cover up the discoloration. Even nicer, the shirt I wear over my handgun covers it all up.

It's just a fact with leather dye. It will transfer to your pants.

I want to see a pic of the holster, belt, and gun. :cool:

4. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

I have NM1 holsters for my Glock 30SF and 26/27. He really makes an excellent holster.

5. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

[​IMG]
    Belt is a Comp Tac
    Pic kinda sucks. I have a cell phone camera and terrible lighting. The holster looks a little used as it has some blemish marks on it. I used it.

I wish the dye didn't transfer. Other holsters I have don't do it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  6. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Did you get any dye transfer???? If so did it go away. I agree the holsters are awesome.

7. Chad Landry

Nice looking holster! Sorry about the dye transfer. I've gotten dye transfer from my Belt Man belts, Tucker Gun Leather holsters, and Milt Sparks holsters. I don't think the factory holsters I've had transferred dye, though. I wear Khaki pants a lot, and they usually get blackened around the belt line, just a bit.

8. Ol'Slabsides

Ol'Slabsides

I have an NM1 also, but not the black color-mine's the reddish brown (Cordovan??). I didn't get any color transfer from it. I also have a MS VM2, black, no color transfer. I'd be a little distressed too, as I might just wear my pants with a pocket carry one day and not be covering it all up...

Any moisture that might have contributed?

9. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Possibly could have been some sweat. I have had holsters from the factory that didn't transfer when wet. I'm not sure what to make of it.

10. tdkammerer

tdkammerer

I have a NM#1 for my G19 and it works excellent! I did have the die transfer issue with the belt loops at first, but it eventually stopped (about a few weeks).

11. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

That is so strange. I've never had dye transfer issues with other holsters. I like this holster so much I am contemplating buying the matching IWB mag holder.

12. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Did the dye transfer stop after awhile?

13. Ol'Slabsides

Ol'Slabsides

I know it's not the same, but I did have a pair of boots (elephant skin, IIRC) that I had dyed from the old '80's beige (ew) to black. The guy told me that when you use certain black dyes, they will rub off for a while, so I didn't sweat it when my socks ended up with a bit of dye on them. I just started wearing black socks with them... Anyhow, they eventually did quit leeching dye onto my socks. Might be his dye method.

BTW, I also have two of his mag holders, one with snaps and one with belt loop holes. Both are mui bueno!

14. Chad Landry

Yes. In fact, I just checked, and there's no black dye on my pants after wearing this rig all day.

15. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Thanks. I've got it coming off onto my hands from practicing draws. under my finger nails, etc... I hope it stops soon. Can I rub the holster down with a rag or anything like that to speed up the process?

16. Chad Landry

I never have, but it sure can't hurt. Is it blacker than black inside your pants?

Just don't use any solvents or oils unless recommended by the manufacturer.

17. JoshK

JoshK

it probably didn't get wiped down or sealed that well.... you can rub it with a dry cotton rag to try to remove the excess dye.... your only other option is to wait until the excess rubs itself off on your pants....

18. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I've rubbed it, seems like I will just have to wait for all the excess to come off. Overall I like the holster.

19. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

The dye seems to have stopped leeching onto my clothing so that is a good thing that makes me happy. Concealment is outstanding. The holster is conforming to my body shape and is becoming very comfortable to wear. I give it a bug thumbs up. I'll take some better pics, but I only have a camera phone so I don't know how much better I can do.

Nick never returned my email about the dye problem which I found odd since he returned all of my other emails about everything else. Anyways, great holster, I recommend him highly. I'm thinking of buying the IWB mag holder and trying that out. I think I might also get an OWB holster from him as well.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010