Just got back from the gun store

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Christopher R., Mar 24, 2010.

1. Christopher R.

Christopher R.

I'm looking to purchase my first gun and I must say that I'm a bit disappointed in glock. I've been reading so many good things about them and just from holding them I didn't feel anything special. I understand that glock is a simple gun and it's reliable as heck, but nothing from glock really went well in my hand. I suppose with some kind of a grip tape or something a glock would appeal to me more.

I held a lot of guns and the ones that I felt the most comfortable with in hand was:

Glock 17, 19
    *S&W M&P .45
    *Springfield XD .45

Granted I didn't feel the connection with Glock right off the bat, but I'm wanting to give Glock another look over before I make my final choice... don't want to completely rule it out yet. Both the Springfield XD and M&P felt really nice in hand and I could see myself getting either of those two.

I'm looking for a nice CCW, but still something I could use at the range (ammunition doesn't matter to me). I'm only going to have enough money for one gun for the next few years.

Also, with the Springfield XD there was the 4" barrel and the 5" tactical, which should I opt for? I really didn't mind either of them and I don't think any additional weight will be a problem.. will the one inch really make a difference? Is there any reason I would want that one inch?

Thoughts and Ideas?

2. Reagan40

Reagan40

I have the same issues with Glock. They just do not feel like they fit in my hand. I have an M&P 9mm, and I love it. It is really too big for a CCW. I like it so much that I am going to get an M&P compact soon to replace my current CCW. You may not think a full size will be that bad, but after you wear it for a few days, you will wish you had bought the compact version.

The M&P compact will work well as a CCW, but should also serve you well at the range. It is not going to be a 25 yard precision gun, but neither will any of the other combat style guns you are looking at for a CCW.

As far as the XD, I would say the extra inch is not really going to do anything for you if your primary purpose is a CCW with some shooting at the range.

3. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I think you should do a lot more reading here and elsewhere before you purchase anything.

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

The ideal thing to do is get what you like best and what feels best for you. If you are going to carry it I would get a compact or sub compact version. The M&P and XD are both good guns and you could not go wrong with either.

Also have you considered a revolver? They makes scene if you are only going to have one gun.

The Ruger SP101 .357 mag is a great carry gun. As you might know .357 mag is the king of stopping power of service pistol cartridges. Very simple, uterly reliable, and will last a life time. You can also practice with the lighter recoiling .38 special.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  5. LL6

LL6

I shot my first Glock in '97. Took till last month and the need for a comfortable carry piece that I bought my first Glock. Between then and now it has been mostly 1911 but I wanted something lighter and with higher capacity so I bought a G26.

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

It often helps to shoot a few first. Maybe someone near you can suggest a good range with rentals.

7. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Personally I would go for the G19.
    It's just about perfect sized for CCW.

Barring that, I would go M&P.

I avoid XD pistols. They may be good, but I still remember when they were sold under the HS2000 name for 299.00.

8. glocknick

glocknick

just get the pistol that feels the best to you. if a glock doesnt work for you then it just doesnt work.

9. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

10. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

This.'08.

11. joecoastie

joecoastie

Looks like you have narrowed it down to some good choices, if you don't like the Glock, don't buy it. If I remember right the range near you rented M&Ps and XDs? I would go shoot both of those before making a purchase. I would also look at the compact versions of both guns, it is possible to carry a full size pistol (I carry either a fullsize 1911 or a Browning High Power) but most people find it uncomfortable. Personally, I am willing to trade some comfort in order to carry a gun that I shoot very well, again that's me and you may not feel the same way.

12. ctfireman

ctfireman

Try them out 1st. Then do the logical thing...............buy all 3!

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

+1

They are all good guns but try them before you buy one.

14. simplyrob

simplyrob

what, no HK love? try a p2000 or even the p30. interchangeable grips help your hand fit the gun. gonna be close to twice as much as the others youre looking at but, imo, well worth it.

15. Just1More

Just1More

Get a Taurus if you don't like Glock. I hear they have good warranty service.

16. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

Don't worry about not liking a popular brand. Let me make an analogy for you: McDonalds sells far more hambugers than anyone else in the hamburger-selling game. Does McDonalds make the best burgers you ever had? Best in your town even? Most popular ≠ best. Don't get me wrong, GLOCKs are good pistols; I like them, and I own a couple, but they are not the only good choice- even if you're on a budget.

Consider me another vote for renting. It's a good way to avoid a regretful purchase. (Of those you mentioned, I would choose the M&P, but I am completely full of crap. :whistling:)

Since you said this is your first gun, let me also suggest a training course- especially if you haven't had any formal training yet. And I mean good training- not military training:supergrin: (retract that if you were in the Delta Force/SAS/Grenzschutzgruppe 9)

17. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

He said this will be his gun money for the next couple of YEARS, IIRC. I'd imagine buying an HK or SiG would make that a decade...

If the Glock really doesn't fit you well, it's tough to go wrong with the S&W M&P. I've seen enough of them at the range to be convinced they shoot right with the Glocks, and they do have a better grip in the hand. Though at first, I didn't really like Glocks, but after 10,000 rounds I find I can manage my 17 as well as or better than anything else.

After trying an XD Service (4") I can say it's a nice gun, but I just didn't care for the shooting dynamics side-by-side with my Glock. Again though, a good gun, but IMO unecessarily chunky through the slide.

Lastly, if you haven't tried one, find a basic 1911 to try out. You might be amazed at how easy to control and hit things with they are. I shoot my brother's 1911 .45 as well as my Glock, and haven't fired more than 500 rounds through it.

18. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

My personal experience is that I bought an XD first. I loved the way the XD pointed and the grip saftey. Then I got a G17 and just shot lights out with it once I got used to the trigger. I've been glock ever since.

19. voyager4520

voyager4520

That's what I was looking for in my first pistol. I bought the G23 and it worked well for that purpose. It's a compromise between comfortable shooting and concealability. It's not ideal for concealment, but it'll work. Now I have a G27 which is a dream to conceal.

The only thing I don't like about Glocks is the grip. The texture is too slippery. Some people also hate the finger grooves and especially the grip angle.

20. gtmtnbiker98

gtmtnbiker98

If you can only buy one gun, definitely try and shoot as many different makes as possible.