close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just got back from my day at bike week at Daytona

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dalton Wayne, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Man the crowds the bikes and the scantly clad girls good times anyone one else go, got some killer deals on t-shirts and a trunk for the bike, Always go on the last day to get the deals.
    Regards
    DW

2. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

Weren't the "scantly clad" girls kinda cold?

3. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I'm not sure if you're into the racing but the AMA is a mess. I lost all interest after DMG took over. They are having a hard time even filling the grid. I don't even DVR the races any more, just scan through the results on the net. :(

4. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Not into the races just go for the bikes.
    Regards
    DW

5. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

I went yesterday still fun as ever but they seem to be cracking down on some of the scantly clad ladies. Dirty Harry's bar is always fun and main street.

6. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

Sorry to hear Edmundson has cancer. I hope he makes a full recovery so we get the chance to beat him with various motorcycle parts for completely screwing up American motorcycle racing.

7. Jonesee

Jonesee

I was there for the first weekend. The crowds hadn't arrived yet, and it was cold. But, as always, I had a blast.

Over 460 miles each way straight through.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  8. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Still here. Why'd you leave so soon?

9. Jonesee

Jonesee

Went with some guys that had never been before. The first weekend worked out better (jobs). Next year it is back to the meat of the week and the final weekend.

10. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I work here; took me 55 minutes to drive 10 miles to work yesterday.

WP

11. okie

okie GT Mayor

Glad you had fun DW my friend:supergrin::wavey:

12. wct097

wct097

Went a number of years back.... quite a hike from Va. Lots of rednecks and white trash with a few decent looking women intermingled with the HD trash without teeth.

13. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

Didn't go to the speedway, did ya?

14. Jonesee

Jonesee

I doubt he even went. His whole post was an inflammatory insult.

"HD trash without teeth".. I suggest he take a look at the demographics of the HD riders. They suggest the toothless trash is most likely likely his dentist, attorney, banker and architect who drew up the blueprints for his house.

For the bikeweek crowd:

They are riding a bike that cost $19,000 and up stock. They then typically add $2000 in aftermarket. Sadly, a lot tow their bikes in on trailers costing $6000-$10,000. Then spend an average of $1,500 per couple for a weekend. Much more for the whole week.

There is a reason Daytona has "Welcome Bikers, We're Glad You Are Back" signs on all major streets entering the area.

and, I truly can't recall seeing a single toothless rider there. (it would be bad for their dental practice)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  15. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

This is myth. If the H-D demographics had this profile...the Motor Company's Financial Services division shouldn't be experiencing the credit defaults that have happened.

"As much as one-fourth of the $2.8 billion in loans issued by Harley-Davidson Financial Services last year were subprime, with interest rates as high as 18 percent. As the downturn took hold, some borrowers started defaulting on loans and investors stopped buying the securities, forcing Harley to write down $80 million of debt last year, analysts said. Although it recently tightened lending standards, the company is still chasing buyers by offering credit."

16. Jonesee

Jonesee

You are not using a statistically valid arguemnt. You are looking at only those that financed through HD Credit. They admit they finance in the lower end/higher risk segment. That is in no way reflective of the demographic as a whole.

You have fallen into the old logic arguement they teach you to avoid in 4th grade. All apples are red. Some corvettes are red. So, some corvettes are apples.. You have to look at all the data...

The men I ride with, me included all wrote checks for our bikes. Most successful businessmen only use an indirect lending sourse (captive finance source) when they are offered an APR that is less than the market rate. (think car loans with 60 months at 0%) HD Credit concentrates on that segment of the market that does not have open credit lines available to them. Think non-prime. Not necessarily sub-prime.

Go check your stats again.

Here, let me help: in 2008 the median income was pushing $90,000 for the HD rider.
    I am guessing not a lot of dirt bag toothless types in there. Here is the link:

http://investor.harley-davidson.com/demographics.cfm

17. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

Based on your self-described profile...according to Steve Parker (Journalist/Broadcaster for 35 years) you must be a "Rubbie":

"Rubbies, short for "rich, urban bikers," considered by "real bikers" as mere poseurs who didn't really understand what made a Harley a Harley."

Since some people like to think everyone is a mirror image of themselves...you must think a large portion of H-D riders are Rubbies.

Steve also reported this in November 2009:

"Worldwide retail sales of new Harley-Davidson motorcycles declined 21.3 percent in the third quarter compared to last year's third quarter, an improvement from the 30.1 percent decline in this year's second quarter. An 84.1 percent decline in net income and an 84.5 percent decline in diluted earnings per share from the year-ago quarter reflected lower motorcycle shipments and the effects of the economy on retail and wholesale loan performance at Harley-Davidson Financial Services."

If H-D existed on a customer base of people who "write checks" for their purchases or secure their own loans...why are they is such financial trouble?

18. Jonesee

Jonesee

Wow, I get it ... You stand corrected and result to personal insults. Two corrections though, 1) the street slang is RUB, not rubby and 2) I am not "Urban".. I can live with who I am. I'm good with it. I have a good life. I can afford some fun hobbies and I can still put my kids through college . All good.. In fact really good.

At least you recognize and admit your error (in a somewhat juvenile way).

As for Steve Parker's other comments. I would expect that type of decline from any company that deals in some of the world's highest priced toys during the largest world-wide recession in 40 years. H-D was still profitable up to 6 ,months ago when the govt. bought GM and sold off Chrysler. They must be doing something right. Ford and H-D are still standing strong.

And I stand by the comment that started all this. Not many toothless dirt bags riding bikes and spending money during bike week...

19. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

BTW, H-D's financial troubles started before the recession. Here's a fairly current financial snapshot for H-D:

Sales (Qtr vs year ago qtr)
    -33.50 (H-D)
    -19.20 (Industry)
    9.70 (S&P 500)

Net Income (YTD vs YTD)
    -81.00 (H-D)
    17.90 (Industry)
    10.30 (S&P 500)

Net Income (Qtr vs year ago qtr)
    -260.10 (H-D)
    -79.10 (Industry)
    107.80 (S&P 500)

Sales (5-Year Annual Avg.)
    -2.11 (H-D)
    -4.72 (Industry)
    7.82 (S&P 500)

Net Income (5-Year Annual Avg.)
    -39.75 (H-D)
    -29.37 (Industry)
    8.56 (S&P 500)

Dividends (5-Year Annual Avg.)
    -0.25 (H-D)
    5.59 (Industry)
    5.25 (S&P 500)
    Financial data in U.S. dollars

20. Jonesee

Jonesee

I surrender Charleston. We are far afield of where this started.

Dad taught me not to argue with idiots or children, Have a great day.