close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just got a virus, how do I get rid of this thing??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by betyourlife, Dec 27, 2006.

1. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

So I click on this my space friend request and bam!! Avast tells me I have a trojan horse. I moved it to the chest and deleted it. Went into remove it from my control panel but it has hijacked my browser.

How do I get rid of this thing?

It takes me to antivermin.com and protectionsoft.com in an attempt to get me to buy crap from them and steal my info.

I am running spybot and avast as well as spyware guard...

ETA: spybot ran right over coolwwwsearch.

My homepage is hijacked, I can't go to anything without going through my favorites list which is the only reason I can even get on here.

There are several programs in my control panel that where not there before and everytime I try to get rid of them it tells me that the system will shutdown and takes me to a website to buy "protection"

I hate these things!!!!!

2. havensal

havensal Senior Nozzle Jockey CLM

You need to know what virus you downloaded. Did you see anything about "Spy sheriff"? That one seems to be pretty popular.

:beer:

3. ackvil

ackvil CLM

You downloaded a trojan horse. Download Lavasoft's Adaware Personal SE (it's free) and run a scan. It has gotten rid of antivermin for others who made the mistake of downloading it.

From what I understand, you get an e-mail or friends request on myspace. If you attempt to look at the profile it tells you that the profile is "protected" and you have to download a special myspace "viewer." If you do that you get infected. :sad: However, Lavasoft has successfully removed the program.

4. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

Nope nothing like that, just what I listed in my OP.

5. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

Thanks, I will try that next time (I missed your post earlier) and found Prevx1 and superantispyware to be enough to remove the problem. Though there is there are some adware cookies that keep coming back. But as far as obvious functioning issues, notta.

6. Seminoles

Seminoles Millennium Member

Download trojan hunter and it'll find it for you. It's a free program.