Just got a Glock 17..I'm a convert, Glock is #1 !!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Ravekid, Oct 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Ravekid

Ravekid Guest

A few weeks ago I pretty much solidified my view of the best handgun to get being a Glock. I have always thought Glocks were above average pistols, but what happened at the range pretty much slide me over to the Glock being the #1 pistol I would recommend to someone. My gun goals are not that massive. I personally just want to have a one handgun for the three major semi-auto calibers: .45, 9mm, and .40. I work as an LEO and our cheap department issued S&W Sigmas. I had two failures of the first generation Sigmas (as well as other officers), so I purchased an HK UPS. The HK USP pistol is a great gun. I pretty much only personally recommend Glock and HK USP. That being said, the HKs are costly, so after carrying my Compact .40, I opted to sell it and get a Glock 22 because I could get the Glock discount and the Glock had a universal light mount where the HK USP just had to be different from the standard (there is now a special mount for conversion). I have never had any problems with my Glock. One time, I discovered my USP was rusting on the under body part of the slide. As our department would shoot in Nov./Dec. and start up again in March/April, I neglected checking the USP. Well, working in the snow, obviously some snow got on the back of the gun and slide down the rails. Lucky it was only surface rust and it came off. My Glock has never been a problem in the rust category. Well, what pushed me over the edge was when I shot a Taurus 92 AF 9mm. I purchased this gun for $375 five years ago and had never shot it. I think the AF production run had an issue, because right after I purchased it at the gun show, I saw a gun store selling the same model as "clearance" for $325. When I shot the Taurus, it shot _way_ left. My boss/instructor, who can shoot with the best of them, moved my rear sight to correct the issue. The problem is that you can't move the rear sight too far because as we found out, there is a spring loaded piece that is kept in place by the rear sight. Needless to say I was _not_ happy. I was also not comfortable shooting the Taurus. Thankfully a guy at my work offered me $350 for it and some extra mags I had purchased. Since I no longer had a 9mm, I needed to act quickly to repair this travesty. Monday I went straight from work to the police store and purchased a Glock 17. As with other Glocks, this gun looks great.

My next goal, if I can get the money saved, is to fill the .45 need. I was tossing around the idea of getting something different, but I am now sold on the Glock. After years of shooting a Glock, I do think it would take a while for me to get used to the full trigger pull followed by very short trigger pulls. I would like to add that our department was thinking about getting us Sig Sauers with the DAK trigger system. I very much like those guns and would have carried that (to keep wear and tear down on the Glock). However, being the cheap department it is, no Sigs. Thankfully they are slowly moving forward to order Glocks in .40 S&W for the entire department.

So my recommendations for semi-autos are Glock #1, then anything that is quality #2 (this would include the HK USP and Sig Saures). The Glock platform offers the additional usage of Kel-Tec Sub-2000s and I have only heard nothing but good things about those.

2. Magnus2131

Magnus2131 Glock Gimp

Congratulations on the new 17.

3. ab4ka

ab4ka Florida Cracker

A G17 is a wonderful thing :)

4. txgunguy

txgunguy

Sweet deal. My 17 is my go-to gun.

5. OKgetdown

OKgetdown Dumb Ape

Its my favorite as well. I sold my first one, tries others. But it was only a matter of time till I got another.

The 17 just fits my hand better than any other pistol I have come across.

6. Ravekid

Ravekid Guest

While there are other good options out there, for 9mm, the G17 is the best out there in my opinion. I mostly just like how Glocks almost always seem to work flawlessly right out of the box.

7. m4arc

m4arc

While I prefer the G19 I think every Glock lover should own at least one G17 :supergrin:

8. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

The G17 is a great handgun. Not gonna win any beauty contests, not gonna inspire awe at the bar-b-que, but it's going to go bang every damn time you pull the trigger. Rain or shine. Clean or dirty. It's going to do the job with a reliability that will help you sleep at night.

9. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

You are preaching to the choir! I love my G17 and even though I want a .45, that 9mm isn't going anywhere.

10. Buki192327

Buki192327

:wavey: Congrats on the G17. Welcome aboard the Glock train.

11. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Welcome to Glock. Arnold says drink some Kool-Aid...

[​IMG]