close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just getting feet wet in Linux

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by g29andy, Feb 20, 2007.

1. g29andy

g29andy CLM

This post is my first foray into Linux. Testing out a Knoppix CD. It seems to be working, but alot of it looks like Chinese to me.

Can't get the Knoppix DVD to load, may have to try burning it again slower.

Idiot beginner question here, what do I do about antispyware, antivirus, firewall, etc?

2. chbix

chbix

The firewall part, should be built in, may have to look at forums regarding your flavor on how to config, but spyware/virus isnt an issue much like a mac!

3. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Sweet, thanks. I thought that would be an advantage.

I'm looking around over at linuxquestion.org, but still feel like an idiot.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Which number Knoppix?I think the latest CD leaves out Java which used to be included but is still included on the DVD.It was just a space thing to make room for other software.I got the latest DVD working so I didn't try the CD yet.

5. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Knoppix didn't used to include a firewall but I think the latest version even the CD version has a firewall.It might take a bit more to set up than a Windows firewall or it may do something by default.Antivirus isn't on the CD .It's not required to protect Linux but can be useful to scan email before forwarding or opening in Windows.Also some live Linux CD's have antivirus software that can scan the Windows system on yout hard drive by running from the CD without booting Windows.

6. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Thanks, WDC. It's version 5.1.1

7. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

8. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Just finished downloading Sabayon, now burning the DVD.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Report back how it works for you.

10. g29andy

g29andy CLM

OK, running SabayonLinux DVD. Seems to me much faster than the Knoppix CD version.

11. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Man, your right! There is a ton of stuff on the SabayonLinux DVD version!

My desktop just did a 360 when I mouse-scrolled!

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

It's one of the fastest I've tried.It has all the DVD and multimedia codecs and Java preinstalled so it's a good for the internet without having to install it on the hard drive or add software.There is so much software on the DVD it has a large menu to go through to see what all is there.The live DVD format may run faster than the live CD format but I'm not sure if it's that or that's just a fast Linux that also happens to include everything.

13. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Thanks again, you have always given great advice.:cheers:

14. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Sabayon Linux is based on Gentoo Linux so for reference and reading,researching Gentoo Linux will help with the Sabayon Linux system.

15. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Sabayon is running on my home PC Dell 3ghz P4, 1.5GB RAM, GeForce 7600GS. Great!

So I took the Knoppix CD and DVD to the office, but no video when the disks load up. The laptop is 7 old, but it runs XP well. Dell PIII, 700mhz, 512 MB RAM (maxed), ATI Rage Mobility M4 32 MB graphics card (probably maxed).

I was going to try a SabayonCD, but I thought if it's more loaded than Knoppix, it also may be too much for the girly-man grapics card. Or maybe its a video driver issue. I can see Knoppix loading, searching for USB, drives, cards, proc, etc, but when it gets to the "desktop" the screen is blank.

Is beryl too much for my ancient laptop?

16. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Well, a few searches on Google later, it looks like there are more laptop issues with Linux, some are compatible, some are not.

17. 87vert

87vert

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

usually the compat. issues strive from drivers. most laptops have all onboard equip that are specific for that model. so the drivers are hard to come by

18. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

If the DVD will boot on the old laptop,which it might,you have the choice on screen if you want the 3D desktop activated or not.Choose the default or "No 3D desktop Activation".I think it's the top choice then click the large bar below the choices.Then Beryl won't load.

19. g29andy

g29andy CLM

got KnoppixDVD to load on the old laptop, had to use fb cheatcode for laptops. But no wireless connection. Will work on that tomorrow.

20. Monty

Monty Millennium Member

If you are looking for a Linux distro that just works try out PCLinuxOS. Getting ready to release a new version, 2007, in the next few weeks. I am currently running (and writing this on) the test release 2 on an IBM Thinkpad PIII with less memory than you have and speed is not an issue. They call PCLinuxOS "the distro hopper stopper". I've tried a bunch and rarely feel the need to browse now after finding this one.

I do also like Linux Mint and SimplyMEPIS should be getting close to a new release, I expect it to be good but for me PCLinuxOS is by far the best for the novice user, like me.

Monty