close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just finished S.M. Stirling's Conquistador

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by fnfalman, Sep 13, 2004.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

This book is about parallel universe. I won't spoil the plot, but it's a damn good read. Very original with the premises and the details are spectacular. This Stirling dude really knows the layout of California, and the funny way Mid-West people talk (I'm in Minnesota right now and I can guarantee that they talk funny up here just like in the book).

His military lingo is pretty down pat as well.

2. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

I read that also. The ending was cute. Haven't started his new book yet. I'm reading a book : In the Kill Zone about police shootings.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Glen,

Which SM Stirling's new book are you talking about? Is it the hardback one about Oregon suffering the same faith as the Sea of Times people were? More or less? I just read it too but the title is hard to remember. Something about Time to Die, or something Die. Another good one by Stirling.

4. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

So Dies the Fire? The premise is that the Nantucket event changes physics so guns, fuel don't work as in our world. But it is our universe screwed up.

I'll wait for the library to get it.

One thing I hate that when an author gets good, their books move into hardcover first.

I also like Simon Green's sf and fantasy.

5. Erich

Erich Millennium Member

fnfalman,

You know that Steve Stirling lives here in Santa Flake, don't you? I met him at a friend's party once (my friend is very good friends with the Stirlings - they're all in that SF author crowd) - didn't really like him in person (which sort of turned me off his writing for a while, though I found Conquistador fairly refreshing in what it lacked), but he looks JUST LIKE his goofy photos on the book jackets. :)

6. unit 900

unit 900

I also enjoyed Conquistador. You might want to try his "Peshawar Lancers" It's kind of a tribute ( or rip off, some would say) of the great GM Fraser's "Flashman in the Great Game" If you haven't read any of the Flashman books, try them, they are some of the best I have ever read.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Erich,

I'm not surprised that the dude lives in Santa Fe. And I don't like meeting authors either because chances are their personalities aren't like their works.

I hope that there is a sequel to Conquistador. I like the idea of an M1 Garand with 20-round mag!!! And no, it's not an M14.

I also read the Peshawar Lancers as well.

8. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

There's a Peshawar Lancers story in some anthology. About a visit to the USA after the meteor hit.

That's a great universe, almost as good as the Nantucket one. The Draka got hokey for me.

I once talked to Stirling through e-mail and told him that in the Nantucket universe, he had folks turn in their guns to the Chief. Then they were destroyed by nuts. I said a TX town would never do that. He admitted it was a plot device to lower the number of modern firearms in Nantucket so that interactions in the Bronze age would be more of a challenge.

9. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Dang, Stirling is a guy? I always figured that author was a woman. Hmmm, now I can read him! I made an official ban on women authors about 10 years ago and have never looked back. The only exceptions were Rowling ('cause I couldn't stand not knowing what the fuss was about) and Mary Gentle (GRUNTS and the first ASH book, not enough to keep me interested).

10. DigitalRaptor

DigitalRaptor

You guys should check out 1632 by Eric Flint. It's similar to Sterling's work. A town in West Virginia get displaced into 17th century Germany during the thirty years war.

Nothing like a book that answers that age old question. What if you could have an M-60 when everyone else has Matchlocks.....

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I read that book. The sequel isn't as good. But yeah, the M60 mowing down armored soldiers;f And the high school chick sniper too!!!