close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just don't understand why they have to cost sooooo much?!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by B_RAD, Mar 15, 2010.

1. B_RAD

B_RAD

Ok. I know why. Because people buy them and they cost more to make but I just get mad when I look at the $2000+ 1911's. I've had a Nitghthawk and loved it. Wish I hadn't traded it. I've gone a Glock kick lately. I know a Glock is and will never be a top shelf 1911 but for around $500 it's kind of hard to beat. Anyone else think that the prices are getting a little crazy?

2. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

About as crazy as spending damn near $600 (after taxes and fees) for a Glock.....There is a whole lot more that goes into building a nice 1911 than building a Glock. I own a bunch of both, and they are a total apples to oranges comparison.

3. B_RAD

B_RAD

I wasn't trying to compare them. I should have said that. I love 1911's I have 2 and have had lots more. I had a Dan Wesson that I bought for $620 NEW about 3 yrs ago. Talk about kicking my self. I sold it and wish I hadn't! Anyways, the 1911 is my favorite pistol design! I'm just saying that the prices have gone through the roof in the last 5 or so years! They're almost pricing them out of range. For me at least.

4. Silvercrow1

Silvercrow1

and you are correct- people are willing to pay that price, so if the market will bear it- there you are! Same way with cars, etc.

Being an older guy, it's painful to "remember" when things were a tad more reasonable. Still, cost of living goes up and I suppose if one did a market analysis on COL then and now, the disparity would not seem as great. My first new car in 74 or 75 (that's 1974 or 75 ;>0) cost me about $4300.00 (nicely appointed Chev. Nova) and I was making about $9k a year. So if a person is making say $50K a year today, and a decently appointed car is $25-$27K...seems about on par, I guess ;>)

Glocks are a tremendous value, or "bang for the buck" handguns. Come with a "full melt" package, widened mag well, high capacity, nice combat trigger pull, easy to operate and field strip. Reliable to the max! Can't beat 'em- especially in the used market! You are right- they won't ever be a "high end" 1911, but they ain't intended to be. And nowadays Glock is updating and servicing their handguns to subsequent owners like other companies do ONLY for original owners- they truly are an excellent value.

Brian

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  5. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

They do not have to cost thousands upon thousands to get a decent 1911.

After a certain price point you are paying for an artisan and his work.

6. remat

remat

I do wish they didn't cost so much too, but agree with Hail Ceasar that you don't have to spend thousands to get a good 1911. I think that they are pretty good in the just under $1000 range.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  7. B_RAD

B_RAD

I know they all don't cost $2000+ but to get the bells and whistles you'll have to pay that. I know you can get a Dan Wesson or Springfield for around the $1000 range that are great pistols. I had a Nighthawk and a Dan Wesson and the price difference was about $1500. The DW was very accurate and I mead really good but NH was little better in the accuracy department and it was even a competition as far as looks or bells and whistles. Whish I still had both. I've also had several Kimbers and while I like them I think they are the most overpriced. I'm just going to have to get another Dan Wesson. I just can't see my self paying $2000+ for a gun again.

8. remat

remat

I agree--Have a hard time justifying the $2K also..understand what you get but parting with the $ is another story.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  9. Makoman

Makoman

Democratik People's Republik of Kommiefornia
    What he said! Most of your mid priced 1911' run just as reliably and are plenty accurate. I don't need all the bells and whistles.

10. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Both my latest 1911's have been >$2k. The latest is by far my favorite and the best for the money of any I've had as far as I'm concerned.

11. Makoman

Makoman

Democratik People's Republik of Kommiefornia
  12. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

If you want to date a super model you have to shell out some ¨Jack¨. Unless of course you´re a a six pack/Rosie O´Donnell type of fella. :whistling:

:supergrin::rofl:

13. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Most recent was a Baer Super Tac. Prior one a Brown Kobra Carry.

14. Jim S.

Jim S.

I remember my first 1911 was a nice Colt Combat Government Model series 70 and I paid somewhere around 400 bucks for it.
    At that time I think that was close if not more than a weeks wages.

15. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Ahh, the good old days........

I wish I made as much as I do now way back then, I'd be soaked in Colt's.

16. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

The problem I see are the companies that try to emulate the $2K guns with cheap parts and poor workmanship, then push them as "as good as" or "the working man's gun". Cheap is as cheap does. You can decorate a Bic lighter as much as you want, but it's still disposable.

17. CMG

CMG

I like them all!

Having said that, I'd like to own a bunch of full-on customs, but instead (due to my personal allowance) I tend to settle for the high-end production guns or an occasional (used) semi-custom.

Of course, sometimes a Colt catches my eye and having owned them in one form or another since the 70s, I have a bit of a soft-spot for them too. :supergrin:

18. paul45

paul45

You might be a tad surprised at the 2010 Dan Wesson price list......:whistling:

19. Brian Brazier

Brian Brazier

There are also $500 1911's that are hard to beat, such as RIA Tactical, Para GI Expert, Springer GI, ..... The Glock isn't a custom gun, and neither are these 1911's, the more involved you want to be with the building of the 1911, the more it will cost

20. John Brown

John Brown

Why is a Lexus more money than a Toyota?