close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just Curious- Hunting with .45 acp

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by CanyonMan, Aug 26, 2004.

1. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I posted this on 'Big Dawgs' as well, wasn't sure where it ought to be.

As my title says...

How many of you hunt with a G21? Or, any .45acp?

I "am not" asking, sould we?
    I "am not" asking, can we?
    I "am not" asking, is it enough?

I "am asking," Out of "plain cuiosity:"

How many of you 'do hunt' with a G21? or "any .45acp?"

If you do/have.

What did you hunt?
    What rounds/loads, did you use?
    What game did you hunt?
    What success did you have/not have?
    How effective was it/was it not?

I "am not" advocating this, "or opposing it". Just curious as to how many out there are hunting with the .45 acp, and the 'above questions' are, i believe, relavent, to the post.

Again, this is something i am "just curious about." Period!
    I really think this "could" trun out educational for some.

Fire away........ "IF YOU HAVE!"

CanyonMan

2. noway

noway

Never hunted with one and intend on ONLY using the G21 with the now defunct triton ammo 450smc, if I get the chance or one of my handlaod 200gr XTP using their cases in a hot load I worked up.

I know of various person that have hunted hogs with good and bad results. Most of these where at 10yrds of less. I saw and witness a small porker that was at about 120lbs take 4 185GS bullet that was fired at it, from a 1911 w/ a 5" bbl. The hog did died but it took 3 of those into the lower chest area to stop it, on a broadside shot and the 4th bullet was never found. The 3 recorvered did not fully expand, and one bullet never expanded at all. Other than the rifling negative imprint on the base of the bullet , it could have been reload and used again. The skinner who dress this hog gave them right back to the hunter, we al where amazed to say the least. This hog could have been just tougher and needed more lead in his diet and didn't want to died or maybe that load was not the right load.

On the other hand, a friend dad of mine took a BlackBear weighing over 200lbs with one shot of a 230 Federal Hydrashock out of his 1911 w/5" bbl.

So to answer your question it would work if you carefully select you ammo-type. What would be the best round for game animal X is what you have to determin.

Canyonman, if you want some of these BearToothBullets 225gr hardcast , let me know and I'll send them to you 100rds. We can call this a equal trade for thoose 170gr you sent me last year. ;)

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Put those babies in the mail! :)
    I'll PM ya in a little bit.

Thanks.

CanyonMan

4. noway

noway

I just PM'd you back.

btw, I wanted to tell you a guy used to post here on GT by the name of Ban (IIRC) and he did some serious testing and I think he hunted with his G21 and shot 45super from it. You might want to serach for him or turbonatr and maybe walterGA in the 45 forum.

They both had some good startup load data for building a good 45acp based hunting round based on the 45super/450smc. I myself , settle for the proven 200gr XTP for balance of penetration and velocities that can be obtained. Like I said, I never hunted with mine, but I have no doubt that it would take a deer or pig size game with no problems.

If the 10mm in the same weight is effective then a .452 dia projectile flying at almost the same speed should work fine.
    ;f

5. vafish

vafish

I carry my G36 where ever I go.

We have little deer here in VA. If I get a good shot I plan on trying the G36 out on one.

Last year opportunity didn't present it self, both deer were shot with other guns.

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

well, as i said, i am just curious, as to how many have taken game with a "non-modified," .45acp. And per the questions on my original post at top, what these results were. It is not that i am looking to do this, just thought i'd like to see what kind of results folks have had, and how many were out there hunting with a .45acp. That's all.

CanyonMan

7. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Some years back now a friend of mine had a hang-fire with his muzzleloader & ended up wounding a big whitetail doe in the lower, right front leg as we would soon learn… a few of us got together to run it down & put it out of its misery. By the end of that 4+ mile long zigzagging track (he thought he had hit her better then what he had & we kept expecting to find her just around then next bend already deiced, from all the blood we were finding…) everyone had ‘lost’ there longuns & most of their clothing layers. Near the end we could get to within 50 yards or so of his deer before she would get up & move again on us…….

Okay now, my hunting buddies ALWAYS used to give me flack about taking my Colt 1991A1 in 45 acp along while deer hunting… they always asked; “What do you expect to do with that thing?”… my reply was that it didn’t hurt nothing to have it around…

Guess who was the ONLY guy to have a gun with him when we finally realized that she could go a lot longer then we could? You guessed it, me & that “What do you expect to do with that…” Colt 1991A1 in 45 acp… I gave that 45 to my buddy where he ended up getting to within 15 yards of that standing doe. One round of 230-grain PMC Starfire (hey what can I say, it was about the only HP ammo that the Colt would cycle 100%) behind the shoulder (a little too high) put that deer down HARD! I figured it was mostly due to her being pretty weak until I examined the 45’s hole… it went in 45 cal. hole, but came out about a 2” cal. hole! ;P

Guess who doesn’t pick on me anymore for taking along what would be considered a defensive handgun? You guessed it, all those same buddies of mine. ;f

8. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Michigun, said: (quote)....

"Guess who doesn’t pick on me anymore for taking along what would be considered a defensive handgun? You guessed it, all those same buddies of mine."(END QUOTE)....

Uh HuH, Uh HuH, isn't that the way it always seems to go!

Thanks for sharing Hoss!

CanyonMan

9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

well, this has been up for a while, doesn't look like to many hunt with a .45acp so far.

i do not, but, as i said, i was just curious as to how many out there did.

i may have to give it a try, so i can answer my own question! :)

CanyonMan

10. TexAg

TexAg

I plan on carrying my G36 in the field some this fall while deer hunting, I'm not sure what I will stoke it with though. If I have a close, easy shot on a doe or small pig I'll take it. I'm thinking possibly about Pow R' Ball or maybe just a run of the mill JHP, I'd like to see how whatever I shoot with expands in a real live animal. I'm confident with a good shot I will put the animal down quickly no matter what though.

11. fabricator

fabricator Got Biodiesel?

So far I have taken a doe and a button buck with a G21, the doe was 25 yds and the button was about 15 feet (they are so dumb) Hornady 230gr xtp with 6.6grs of vhit n-340 about 870 fps the button was DRT and the doe went about 50 yds, the doe was a double lung shot, the button's heart was disintegrated, I would not hesitate to take shots out to 30 to 40 yds but you have to pick your shot.;)

12. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Thanks for sharing guys.....
    i do hope to hear more though.

As i said, although i do not hunt with a .45acp, i do believe, with 'proper ammo,' and with 'close in' proper shot placement, it will work fine on deer, as shared above, by 'fabricator.'

I would still be interested, in hearing from anyone else that 'has' taken game with 'any .45acp'. as i said several times... this is purely a curiousity for me, as to the potential of the .45acp on deer size game, and how many really are out there using it. That's all.

Just simply something i have been curious about for a long time, in this contraversy of will it, will it not! we all know that the 10mm is a very fine round for hunting hogs, and deer size game, along with many 'revolver calibers,' (which is what i use when hunting with a handgun), But, i think the .45acp, deserves a "fair chance here", of being exposed as a gun that 'has worked', or 'has not'... on deer size game.

CanyonMan

13. vafish

vafish

Canyonman,

I have taken several deer with a .45 Colt. It worked just fine. I used both teh Speer 200 gr. flying ash can and a Speer 260 gr JHP.

As I said I'm going to carry my G36 again this year. If the proper opportunity presents itself I'll give it a try. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report in a few months.

In my opinion, under the proper conditions, the .45 acp with work fine on deer. It would not be my first choice as a deer hunting round.

14. fabricator

fabricator Got Biodiesel?

One more thing pard, the .45acp made a name for itself taking down deer size game, in WW1 and WW2, along with countless deer size animals by LEO's over the last 100 years.;)

15. tjpet

tjpet

I've never purposely taken a .45 auto hunting but have had one on hand that I've used to kill small to mid-sized game. Works well and you can eat right up to the hole (200-230 RN, RNFP, SWC @ 800-900fs.)

16. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

A hunter wounded a buck on my property and the deer was running around screaming/falling down. (The hunter fired 3 times from about 25-30 yards - hit the deer once in the ***/rearmost spine.) The deer would take two steps/fall, two steps fall - screaming the whole way. I dropped the deer with a headshot using my .45 - you'll laugh at this one, I own two G21s, but that afternoon for some reason I was carrying my Llama .45 compact. ROTFL. The hunter was more than a little nuts - he was the son of an aquaintance/friend... when the kid/hunter could not get it through his head that I did not want him anywhere near my property again, I went to his father to straighten the mess out.

17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Cali-Glock,

Yep, we do our best to keep those kinda guys 'off the ranch.' Even if they want a guided hunt. We are "very selective," on who comes, and who hunts. I am guiding a guy this weekend out here for doves. He's ok, but one i have to keep a eye on, and 'stay with him the whole time.' I hear ya!

Best to ya Hoss.

CanyonMan

18. TexAg

TexAg

Took the G36 out this last Sunday and shot some cans at 25 yards. I was hitting the can 50% of the time and hitting real close the rest of the time. Good enough to hit a deer well at that range, but I'm not sure what I want to load it with now for deer season when I plan on carrying it hoping for an opportune shot. I like the cheapness and reliability so far of the Remington value pack 230 gr. JHP and the WWB 230 gr. JHP and am very accurate with them. Also the 185 gr. Golden Sabre is very accurate for me but I've shot the most of the aforementiond rounds. Pow R' Ball may be great, but is pretty much the least accurate in my gun so far.
    Think I should load it up with the value 230 grain JHPs? Accuracy is my primary concern and even if they don't expand, at 25 yards it'll still pack a wallup and leave a .45 inch hole.

19. Halfcocked

Halfcocked striker fired

A few years back my father shot a doe from a tree stand with his 1911. He used a headshot, so it was a very quick and effective kill. I think you can hunt certain animals in certain parts of the country ETHICALY with a .45ACP, you just need to be selective so that the animal doesn't suffer.

20. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Again, i am not wanting to hunt with the .45acp.

Just curious, as i said, as to how many folks out there "are" doing it, and there results. Just a personal case of curiousity!

Thanks for sharing.

CanyonMan