Just curious, but how does FedEx control quality and how's it measured?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by yongxingfreesty, Feb 9, 2010.

1. yongxingfreesty

yongxingfreesty

do they just use customer surveys or what?

2. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

All I know is I was suppose to get my magpul order today but Fedex did not deliver due to "weather" then how come i saw a UPS truck in my neighborhood yesterday! There was no more snow and there was more time to clean the roads

:steamed:

3. yongxingfreesty

yongxingfreesty

4. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I'm sure one of the bigger ways they measure it is how many claims they have to pay out.

5. macville

macville

All I know was that FedEx couldn't get a FedEx Saver package from Atlanta to Knoxville (3 1/2 drive) over the weekend (even though it got to K-town Sunday.) FedEx Ground would have gotten it there Monday, and at the worst Tuesday. They said they would deliver the package Wednesday, but I got them to hold it and pick it up Tuesday morning at a location.

Also, had FedEx get a package last week to town a day early, and it was put on the truck for delivery. At 3:30 the tracking status basically said, "not supposed to be delivered until tomorrow, back to the package station." What happened to the days where when they had it in town already, they would go ahead and deliver?

It's really the small things that add up for good customer service...

Matthew

6. HarlDane

HarlDane

Doesn't Fed-Ex use independent contractors as opposed to company drivers for local deliveries like UPS? Could have something to do with it.

7. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

FedEx uses company drivers for express. Ground deliveries are delivered from the hub via contractors.

8. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

I've seen numerous times when the fedex drivers were pulled off of the streets for weather conditions.

And it's great when I pull up to a customer who uses them and UPS.They normally ask if I can take the fedex stuff too if they re-lable it with the UPS lable.Our answer is sure as long is there is room on the truck,and if not we will come back or send another truck.

Been watching fedex drivers for years and they seem alot more lax than UPS lets us drivers be.:wavey:

9. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

I had the same problem with a G35 I had ordered from Eds.It was shipped fedex next day air and arrived 4 days late because of a few inches of snow.Meanwhile, UPS was running in the area the whole time.

10. norm357

norm357

I'm aFedEx contractor. :wavey:

11. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

I dont know if this helps or not, but I have been using FedEx for over 15 years and they have either been on time or ahead of time. Just always done an excellent job for me.

12. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

I can give a former-insider's perspective to quality control at UPS.
    I loaded trucks at the UPS hub in Maumee, Ohio. There, everyone who touches packages wore a laser/computer on their right hand. The laser clipped to your index finger.
    When a truck pulled up to my dock, I scanned a code on my loading dock, then scanned a bar code on the truck. (Thus assuring the correct truck was at the correct dock at the correct time). I would hop in the truck and get the converyor set up to deliver packages to my truck. Then packages started rolling in. Every package got visually checked for its destination to ensure it was comming to the right truck. Then I scanned it and stacked it. At the end of the day, I handled roughly 13,000 packages per day. When the truck arrived at its destination, the process was reversed. Any packages on that truck that should have been on a different truck was recorded. Take the total number of packages scanned, divide it by the total number of mis-routed packages, and the result is a number we called 'frequency'. Keep you frequency above 10,000 for a week and you get an extra $100 in your paycheck.
    The union HATED that $100 incentive. It was the single biggest craw in the Teamsters' throat. It encouraged hard work. But there wasn't anything in the contract that prevented UPS from giving out extra money. You can bet when contracts are negotiated again, that incentive will be gone. It was that job that turned me off on unions.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  13. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

That incentive money must be a local thing to that hub.
    I've worked at the Indy hub for 13 years and they don't do that here

:wavey:

14. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

That was 1998...I'm SURE that incentive was the first thing to get tossed from any new labor contracts. I bagged the extra hundred bucks almost every week...until the pickers (the guys who route packages to your truck and are generally more-senior employees) found out my average frequency was over 10K. They started sending every piece of trash they could find to my truck, package that didn't belong to my truck, etc. By the end of my shift, I would sometimes have 1000 "mis-routed" packages piled outside my truck, along with whatever trash they could find from the garbage cans. They weren't at all happy that I was working hard and they did everything they could to prevent that. Finally two guys came down to my truck and threatened me. I told them to step inside my trailer and close the door behind them and we'll settle this...they left. But I had seen enough union labor for my taste, and left a few weeks later.

Having been a teamster for 8 months is the single most embarassing time of my life.

I was in the best shape of my entire life then, however.

15. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 15 or 30?

I use FedEx exclusively in my business as I've had too many poor experiences with UPS over the years. FedEx always works for me, always gets the job done in a timely manner (99.9% on or ahead of time) and most importantly always delivers a product that is in good condition.

Too many destroyed or lost packages with UPS over the years, some costing me (or my clients) thousands of dollars.

Just my experience...