Just Curious about the Obsession over Slide Finishes

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Church Key, Aug 22, 2019.

1. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Here's my deal...does it shoot? every time? well maintained and functional? if so, good to go. I really don't care what it looks like, so long as it fits my requirements for size/capacity/reliability. To me, a standard Glock with more robust sights and a 25 cent trigger job is perfect for me.

VIS07 and El Pistolero like this.
  2. jmohme

jmohme

I suppose that is a good analogy, but truthfully. Isn't accesorizing a glock a little like putting spinner hubcaps on your wheelbarrow?

I hate to bring up that tired old "It's just a tool" argument, but it is, just a tool.

slamdunc likes this.

3. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Why would you worry what the others are worrying about? Including in the title of this topic the word "obsession" that indicates some mental issues at play. Live and let live. It really doesn't matter. Does it?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  4. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

It is, but people tend to customize just about anything. I add night sights to my Glocks and one that I used to compete with has a mag well. I agree that they are tools, but I watched a guy spend $1,900 in mods on a $500 pistol.

5. JK-linux

JK-linux

Well, it's a gun discussion forum... maybe people just like to discuss things about guns?

With thousands of members, you're bound to run across things you'll roll your eyes at. I'm sure there's a discussion on a photography forum somewhere, where someone's lamenting the finish on the latest Nikon or Olympus, and someone else is saying "it's a tool, grow up ya pansy".

Oh, well...

6. glocker199

glocker199

What really perplexes me is why people worry about what others worry about.

Judgemax, PRE-K, cowboy1964 and 3 others like this.
  7. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I guess I am in the minority, here. I don't fuss about it, and I do have guns with some "character" from being used. I have a few frying pan Glock's that look perfect, and some chalkboard Glock's that are far newer with far fewer range or carry trips that show more wear. Does it matter?

No, not from a functional standpoint. But if someone offered me a finish nearly impervious to wear or one that wears far more easily at the EXACT SAME PRICE, what person in their right mind buys the inferior finish?

But I do admit I am crazy. I put Eezox on my Estwing hammers and my shovels, too! For the shovels, having no rust DOES help prevent dirt sticking to the blade, and the hammers... well, I just don't want them orangeish-brown if they don't have to be. Heck, unwanted rust may put an orange stain on my white T-shirt or get me in trouble for getting our light-colored carpets dirty! Sure, all drive nails just fine.

The other crazy thing I do is wash the winter salt off my cars. Usually at least once or twice a month in the winter! I just don't like the idea of cosmetic oxidation on it. Crazy, I know! Cars and trucks are just tools. Call me nuts, but I like mine to have as few rust spots and dents as possible. Not worrying about the old, dedicated work truck that is beat up... but let's not scuff up the tailgate of the newer truck, please!

And if I ever go to sell any of my tools, my tools will command a premium over tools that look worn, scuffed, or neglected. They just will. They may function exactly the same, but people will throw more dollars at mine, and choose it over guns with an inferior finish and wear. Go to ANY gun store with a selection of police trade-ins and see which guns people buy! They will look and look to get the one without mechanical wear and physical blemishes.

Unless, of course you are a person who, when presented with two guns, chooses the one with scratches, scuffs, and some minor oxidation over the other looking clean and new. Both are the same price. But you, oh "it's just a tool believer", since they are the same price, you choose to buy the one with more character marks and stories (ummmm... stories you don't even know because you didn't put the marks there!). Leave the clean, nice, neat one for the oddballs like me, who condition their leather seats, polish their dress shoes, power wash their deck, and put Eezox on their steel tools!

I get it. We are all different. Heck, I remember kids on a football team swinging their expensive, brand new helmets against the goal post to build up some street cred by adding some scuffs and wear. It was a badge of honor to have a beat up helmet!

I don't like my guns that way. Just me! So do I like the frying pan finish? I do. I buy the other, but I think Glock is pinching pennies at my expense. I don't hear ANYONE saying the newer finishes are the best finishes Glock has EVER used. But I do read posts all the time saying the polar opposite.

8. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

"Hey G26 with the FPF you are one sweet carry piece"
    Wish you where around back in 1984 when I bought my 1st carry gun.. Maybe I wouldn't have gone down that J frame path..

glocker199 likes this.
  9. cciman

cciman

For some reason, there is an unrealistic expectation for the gun to look perfect no matter what we carry it in, otherwise it is defective if it does not hold its luster. People forget what the ultimate purpose of the gun is for possibly killing or maiming something or someperson

No one talks about finish on their craftsman tool, or butcher knife, or their hammer, or their car jack, because the ultimate purpose of those tools are well understood.

10. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

While I understand the point, if I had some Wusthof knives that rusted or got blemishes on the handle, and some that did not (with the same care and handling), and both cut equally well, I would absolutely seek out the one that does the job as well and ALSO resists rust and blemishes.

Insanity admitted... I already noted I put Eezox on some of my tools. I have many brands, including lots of Craftsman you cited above. When I lived near salt water, I absolutely chose tools that resisted rust better (and I learned to apply rust inhibitors). If Craftsman had a line of screwdrivers that was more prone to rust, and if they didn't bring some real advantage over screwdrivers that didn't rust, why would ANYONE buy a tool more prone to rust issues that performs exactly the same if the costs are the same?

Yes, they are just tools. And Glock's finish is certainly adequate.

But is the slogan "Glock Perfection" or "Glock, Perfectly Adequate" ?

I feel Glock had a better option prior with regard to finish (some may disagree), but they abandoned it. I disagree with that choice, but no biggie. And I still buy Glock's and am still happy. But I don't believe for a second they are giving me the BEST they have ever offered. I realize I am likely getting the "cheaper option to manufacture" that they deem as "good enough". And it is good enough. They offered up a solid B+ effort.

But I don't think a "B+" effort matches an "A" effort, and I know Glock can give an "A" effort if it chooses to. But a "B+" will certainly get them where they want to go in life! But someone, somewhere will always be whispering in their ear "apply yourself, you KNOW you can do better if you just try!".

I will buy a G40 with the current finish regardless. And it will function flawlessly. And if the finish shows marks early, I will know Glock had a finish I thought was better years ago, but corporations are always looking out for themselves, and not working to please me. This is not unique to Glock.

PRE-K likes this.
  11. cciman

cciman

If you are worried about your butcher knife, or craftsman tool, you are a poser, and not using it hard enough.

Go out and eezox your garden tools.

12. PRE-K

PRE-K

If you're a fellow cop, I will judge you based on the overall condition of the pistol on your hip, as well as the mags in your pouches. Some members of the public (good AND bad) will judge you, too.

So... aesthetics can be an important thing, something beyond vanity.

To specifically answer the OP's question, I've never carried a Glock that wasn't a frying pan, nor do I plan to.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  13. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

It's not unrealistic, Glock proved that. They created that expectation, and stopped living up to it.

PRE-K and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  14. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

Are there any US guns with the FPF? Do Austrian guns still have it?

PRE-K likes this.
  15. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Yes; no.

AdamRodgers, PRE-K and Syclone0538 like this.
  16. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

Thank you for the info. That shows that the EPA isn't preventing it, contrary to the old rumor...

17. Scouse

Scouse

Well, finish/sminish!mY latest carry 9mm Glock.
    The 43X with nickel type finish on the slide is kind of different. But I find it is kind of nice. The best way of blowing a piece of finger off! Are the stupid front groves in the slide! Whoever at the factory decided they had to follow that trend was not smart.
    Had a buddy in Canada, George Housner who has since passed on. A South African. Who press checked his .45 1911 one evening. BANG Ouch!
    Since I am a Glock Chap, the extractor being proud on the slide is all my fingertip needs in the way of a chamber check that is required.
    As there is never a time when I have no round up the pipe, why worry.
    But my Glock 19 4th Gen has a fantastic deep black (if there is such a finish) no-mar finish, and it has been carried in Security work and concealed for lots of years.

18. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Well, to the OP, looks like you proved your point. Comment is flowing freely and covers wide areas of thought, thanks for the entertainment.

boilergonzo and AdamRodgers like this.
  19. Henny

Henny NRA Life Benefactor, GOA Life.

I agree about the Gen 5’s finish. I picked up a G19.5 to try, and it quickly became my every day carry gun. Unlike a lot of people that call it their EDC gun, I actually do carry mine every day! I also shoot at least once, if not twice a week. The bonus of having a back yard range.

The thing that, I guess I’ll say shocked me, more than anything about my Gen 5 was the lack of durability of the finish. I carried it in the same holster as my previous EDC, a G19.4. The old Gen 4 still looks pretty good after all these years. This is my Gen 5 after 2 months.

[​IMG]

I’m not really impressed with the finish. Expected something that held up better, but whatever. I’m guessing by the time something else fills the holster it will look a hell of a lot worse! :laughing:

It still shoots great, and that’s what matters.

ETA: I’m guessing they don’t sharpen a Glock knife on the slides anymore in the armorer’s classes!!!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  20. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Heres the jist of the issue....Glock had a finish that many,not all considered Superior.....the ability to sharpen a knife with no damage to slide. Today the finish is Inferior, the slide scratches in their cases as cleaning tools rub against the slide.

The kicker was a $399.00 Glock with a great finish vs todays $479.00 Glock with scratches.