close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just can't keep track of all the new 380's coming up......

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by hogship, Jan 27, 2010.

1. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Now we've got the Smith Bodyguard.......

Question:

Does it have a last shot hold open?

I'm truly amazed that there is still a shortage of 380 ammo......seems like all the manufacturers would be pumping it out like crazy right now......:dunno:

hog

2. McCleary.11

McCleary.11 Skeet Skeet!

From the picture, the bodyguard looks like it has a slide catch.

3. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

The small .380s are the next "big thing" it seems; right next to the polymer revolvers. I like the mouse guns......good for just going to the gas station for a pack of smokes or a small errand. If I need more than 7 shots of .380 Speer Gold Dots, I'm throwing it at them and performing a tactical retreat.....:rofl::rofl:

4. Just1More

Just1More

Gee, I wonder if it'll be under $800?

5. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member

It does seem like everyone and his brother is making a .380 these days. Some are decent, some are trash.

It also seems that what S&W does is take the name from one successful gun, eg Chief's Special or Bodyguard, and attach it to something unknown in hopes that the name will either bring good luck or even confuse the unwary or unknowing.

6. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

I don't worry about 'em because I would never buy one.

7. Airborne Infantryman

I read somewhere MSRP was supposed to be around $575 or so. I will try and find it.........*EDIT* here it is.......

"The Bodyguard .38 revolver will carry a suggested retail of $625, and the Bodyguard .380 auto will go $575. Both shot well in our limited testing. I particularly liked the .380…well, as much as I like any .380, anyway…"

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2010/01/19/shot-show-day-one-2/

Might be able to get one for $500, maybe lower.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  8. Ridgeway

Ridgeway

+1

I liked .380 before the "crisis." But now it's far too $$$ to plink & practice with.
    My .380 just sits on a shelf staring @ me. lol

9. Airborne Infantryman

I heard somewhere that the same machinery used to produce .380 is whats being used to produce 9mm........I guess 9mm is the bigger priority for the manufactures.......Not sure how valid that allegation is, as even 9mm is scarce as heck.

10. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

I'm not keeping track of all the .380s coming out because I'm waiting for the Bersa BP9cc.

IIRC I said last year that the shortage of .380 ammo would only get WORSE.

I hate being right....luckily I will need and have plenty of 9mm.:whistling:

TGG

11. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

How do you know they aren't? :upeyes:

12. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

It's amusing that just a few years ago, most everyone looked down their noses at .380 as some sort of joke.

Now there's some sort of uncontrollable frenzy to own a .380.

Fads come and go...

13. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

Yes, that is interesting.

But there are just too many red flags with "pocket autos".

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Most gun stores I go into still frown on .380 ACP. "You may as well carry a knife" is what one guy told me. Whatever.

Yeah .380 ammo costs don't make sense. Georgia Arms wants $430 for 1000 rounds. For comparison, 9mm is $240 and 45ACP is $330 and both of those use a lot more material (bigger brass, bigger bullet, more powder). Hell, 10mm is only $390. What's the deal?

15. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Who knows?.....but, the thought occurred to me that the price of 380 originally peaked because of demand. Right at the time BHO was elected, the run on little 380 firearms was already at a full head of steam. The ammo hoarding was something that nobody foresaw. All of these things made the price of 380 ammo skyrocket.

Now, for the conspiracy theory:.......It isn't outside of possibility to think that manufacturers could keep the 380 ammo at an artificially high level by simply not meeting demand. It seems improbable in a capitalist market......but the price and availability of other calibers has gone down recently. What other explanations do we have for the inequity of pricing for 380? Cowboy1964 makes a point that the raw materials is significantly less than for 9mm, 40cal, 45acp, etc.......so why the disparity?

We also have a rash of "black helicopters" lately.......:rofl:

hog

16. rfd339

rfd339

On the 380acp pistol and the Tupperware revolver , I think when one company starts to make a profit , the others join in to get a piece of the pie. Now on the ammo deal , I think ammo companies don't run but a certain amount of 380acp in cycles and that's it. More 380 pistols on the market means less ammo on shelves . Big ammo companies may not be willing to cut into there 9 , 40 , 45 , bread winners to make more 380 for the domestic consumer market just yet.

Hypothetical speaking....:dunno:
    9mm-7 million rds a mth
    45acp-6 million a mth.
    40sw-9 million a mth
    380acp- 2 million a mth.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  17. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

Recently, I can't remember where it happened though, there was a shooting that occurred at an AA meeting. A teen crackhead stormed in and demanded money from the attendees. One of them pulled out his KEL-TEC P-32 and opened fire.

The first shot was in the gut. The BG turned and ran, and was hit two more times - one in the neck and I think the other in the shoulder. If I can find the article I will post the link.

My point is that people knock the .32 ACP as well, and look what it can do!:wow:

The article gave me a warm fuzzy feeling because my CCW of choice is my KT P-32. It's nothing to sneeze at, as this incident proves!

TGG

18. Chonny

Chonny

A salesman at a popular store told me they have been selling a lot of pocket pistols lately. Sig P238s, Diamondback .380s, and Ruger LCPs. He said the most popular is the LCP and the Diamondback. I asked him about reliability of Diamondbacks and the internet noise. He said they had a few come back for repair out of an order of 50, only one had to be sent back to DB.

19. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

Obviously a guy who has no clue. I love how people pan smaller cartridges like the .380, .38 and 9mm. The most important rule of CC is to CARRY. Sure, .45s and .40s are great, but if the weapon is too big, you will be less likely to carry. A .22 carried beats a .45 left in the drawer at home. Just further proof that many firearms purchases are more testosterone based, then based on common sense. I have carried .380 and am thinking of replacing my .40 with a 9mm. I want small and light.

20. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

- the mullah