Just called in to work...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by deadcalm4u, Jan 24, 2010.

1. deadcalm4u

deadcalm4u overkill

I work 3rd shift and and I just called in, left a voice mail. My daughter has 105 temp and is diagnosed with Pnuemonia. I feel guilty but, my boss has no heart and looks down on this type of crap cause he is a workaholic. I called my mom and she said, if anything, I should feel guilty for NOT wanting to call in.

2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL

3. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I be really concerned anything over 104. Has she seen a Dr. today. If that was my kid I would be going to the emergency room now.

4. gsarg

gsarg

You should feel guilty because you are posting on a forum, instead of taking your daughter to the emergency room. It is dangerous for kids to have a temp that high.

5. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

I'm glad my boss isn't like that, if anything he'd be like call me to let me know everything is ok

That said your priorities need checking if you feel guilty for calling in with a very sick child.

If instead of calling in you went to work and something real real bad happened to your child then you should feel guilty

6. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

:agree:

Get her to a hospital!

7. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

I think that the child has already received medical care since otherwise...how could she have been diagnosed with pneumonia?

Best wishes for her speedy recovery deadcalm4u.

8. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

I hope she feels better!

9. skeeter1959

skeeter1959

I used to have a boss like that. He refered to his 3 dsughters as his "******** kids". He even chastized a guy in our management meeting because he was late because he took his son to his first day of school.

I had a dsughter that was born with a rare disease and eventually died 10 days after being born. When the annual health insurance meeting came up, he commented on how expensive it was to treat her. Had I not had a wife and son depending on me, I would have sent him to the ICU right then. I still hate that SOB to this day.

Ask yourself this. Who will be at your death bed? Your boss or your family. My family wins everytime for me.

10. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

In the '90's, there was frequent mention of a "work/family life balance".

I always used to say that there ain't no "work/family balance". Family comes first.

Always, every time, anywhere, whatever happens.

Period.

Your boss won't be at your funeral, believe me.

11. Mikey444

Mikey444 sacré bleu!

I had a boss get fired because he had to leave work during a corporate visit to pick up his sick daughter from school.

At least he ended up with a better job.

12. hoffy

hoffy

You probably know this but an alcohol bath can help, but I would only do that on the way to a doctor, or if isolated and no Dr available , like someone said , a doc has probably already seen the kid. High temps , 104+ can cause brain damage and are cause for immediate action. It disgusts me how people can be jerks in a situation like this. I hope all comes out OK.

13. SwampFox89

SwampFox89 Rec Student

I had pneumonia and appendicitis a couple days after graduating high school in 07. No parties for me, just 3 days in the hospital. I feel her pain. Best of luck to your family.

14. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

15. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Good thing is, kids can usually run a higher temp than adults and be fine. But if the condition worsens or continues I would see the doc ASAP. Screw your boss if he has a problem with it, but if its a place worth working for your boss will understand.

I hope she feels better soon!

16. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

FAIL! FAIL! FAIL!

Never use alcohol for a rubdown to cool a child's fever! The fumes are toxic, and alcohol is absorbed through the skin. Use lukewarm water. Alcohol baths are no longer recommended, also because they can cool your child too quickly, which can be dangerous.

17. Lomez

Lomez Nice guy

your mama's right

18. NashvilleGlock

NashvilleGlock EMT-Paramedic CLM

Ok first of all the "hospital now" crowd should calm down lol.. Children both run higher and can tolerate much more when it comes to fever, the overcrowded ER does not need another parent A Team'in in when all they are going to do is give her Tylenol. If she is diagnosed with Pneumonia then she had to have seen a Dr. Not to mention her immune system is already weakened and the hospital is FULL of nasty..

I'm assuming if it's bacterial they have her on Antibiotics?

"Bacterial pneumonia can develop slowly, or it can hit you very quickly. Your fever may get as high as 105 degrees. The symptoms are: high fever, chills, sweating, racing pulse, pain in your chest, and you may cough up green or rust-colored mucus. You may also feel confused."

If anything get some childrens Tylenol, give her the recommended dose and watch her. At that point if it doesn't come down or it goes ANY higher, THEN ATeam into the hospital with her ;-)

As far as the calling off thing **** your job, thats your daughter.. Family first at all times.. Work is just something you do to live, not something you live to do.. Your boss is a moron if he doesn't understand that.

I AM NOT A DR AND THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE, I'M JUST A STUPID AMBULANCE DRIVER ;-)

19. Jay S.

Jay S.

As a supervisor, I have always told my guys to take care of family first. I have never given anyone a hard time about calling in or leaving early to take care of family. I also show up late every year on the first day of school.:supergrin:

20. DoubleDog

DoubleDog Grrrrr.....

I called in today...I feel like $%#@...

I know my coworkers would appreciate me not sneezing all over them...

I don't do it often, so I'm not going to beat myself up...

DD~