Just bought: S&W Model 31 *1969* NEW IN BOX!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Domestic615, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

Ok so my buddy owns a pawn shop and occasionally they get some interesting fire arms and he calls me to see if i want them , Well the other day i was there doing a hand gun transfer and he pulled out a S&W model 31 manufactured in 1969 its a .32 Long i didn't think it was anything special but i noticed it was in the original box that was in really good condition so he tells me to open the box and check it out so i do , I pulled out a 100% condition model 31 still wrapped the the paper not one mark or scratch on it never even been fired not to mention it had all the original paper work and brochure and even a parts price list with it i was somewhat amazed that i was holding a gun from 1969 in such brand new condition , He threw out a price and even though im not much of a revolver collector i had to pick it up he had just received it so i have to wait 10 more days for it to clear and can bring it home but i am excited i am wondering what the value of this model in this condition would bring hopefully someone has an idea , I bought it with intentions of making a little profit after adding it to my collection for a bit but i might just end up keeping it and making sure it stays in the condition its in , I thought it was pretty interesting hope you guys do also.

Any collectors on here know the value of something like this? Its a blued short barrel with the factory wood grips , im not sure of the barrel length.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Anywhere up to $700. Most likely a 1 and 7/8" or 3" barrel.

3. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

:wow:

Wow wasn't expecting it to be that much i got it for quite a good deal that makes me want to keep it even more.

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

It's a smoking crack Gunbroker type scenario, but a minty J frame like that will bring a good price.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

Nice find. Now you just need to find some ammo.:whistling:

6. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

From Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd Edition 2006:

ANIB = 375
    EXC = 275
    VG = 225
    GOOD = 185
    FAIR = 135
    POOR = 85

1969 Begins with "H" serial prefix

Neat find! :patriot:

7. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

Yeah i think to a smith collector it would be a great piece to have like i said i have never seen such an old firearm in such a fresh new condition.

I could never talk myself into firing the gun , To me its more of a collector piece just to look at and ponder on how something that old could be kept up that well.

Def a cool find i was quite pleased to be able to own it i know its nothing really rare or crazy but the fact of the age and condition makes it a lot more interesting to me.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  8. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

Pics in ten days, with all the ephemera, please.

Very nice find.

9. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

If you shoot it, the value drops by a fat chunk. if you want max dollar, run it through gunbroker, BUT mention it beforehand on the S&W forum to see if someone will convince you otherwise.

With good pictures and polite patience. And if nobody offers you enough money THEN try gunbroker. remember, you'll pay commission, and maybe part of the shipping, and be dealing with their system..

I'm generally happier with personal transactions, just because they've gone smoother. A guy protects a good reputation, or he doesn't get one in the first place.

10. bac1023

bac1023

Very nice!

Congrats :)

11. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Nice find!

I've been looking for a second issue Colt Police Positive in .32 S&W Long for a long time. While looking for the Colt I just found a S&W Model 30 - which is the round butt version of the Model 31 you just bought. Neat guns.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  12. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I once bought an M&P revolver from the 70's that was NIB or LNIB and the quality was outstanding. Its a shame S&W doesn't make guns like they used to.

13. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

If i do decide to sell i will use gun broker i usually do , I posted on the S&W forums an only had one response saying this this model in this condition would be worth around $400 which i am very doubtful that it would bring such a low amount but that was the only response and i posted the thread at about 11-12 pm heh so we'll see what they say but i will def post pics of it when i bring it home.

14. eddief4

eddief4

sounds like an awesome keeper more than anything:supergrin:

15. schild

schild

[​IMG]

I got a Model 31 last month as part of a package deal. I would say mine was shot one time. I plan on shooting mine, AIM has ammo. Mine is from the early sixties.

16. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

17. marksiwel

marksiwel My Mommy's Calling

you gotta wait 10 days? Where are you living, Russia?

18. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

I didnt get much of an explanation on why i had to wait i just do what he tells me but few more days no big deal.

19. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Did you really just write a paragraph with one period?

Nice find btw...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  20. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

The problem I see with Gunbroker.com is that there are alot of offers with no bids. Someone lists as "no reserve" and then starts the bids at $500, for example, with a "buy-it-now" of $550. I watch to see what happens and the listing expires with nobody buying. Rarely do I see any kind of deal. I guess those things only occur FTF with a friend or acquaintence. That said.....the NIB Model 31! Some collector out there is waiting to pay more than you think. On gunbroker just this morning, a Model 12 Field Grade in 12 gauge, same thing, never fired, in the box with all the paperwork and wrapping. I think the buy-it-now was $2000, bidding began @ $1200 but no bids.
    I'd mention it on the S&W forum and see what happens. Or simply put it away for 10 years. Buy some ammo to go with it. The way things are going in this country it will either be worth $2000 or 20yrs. Ever wonder if the government uses gun forums to track radicals and anarchists like us and is just waiting to pounce?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010