Glock 17 Just bought a new Gen 5 / Should I upgrade the connector?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Will Rudy, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

My new Fifth Gen 17 has a pretty good trigger out of the box, noticeably better than previous gens I've shot, but wonder if it could stand further improvement by installing a 3.5-pound connector?
    If so, which one would you recommend? Ghost? Zev? or ???
    Also, do you experience any REAL lightening, smoothness or other plusses by upgrading?
    My gun guy says he'll install it for only 10 bucks.
    Are there any other "trigger jobs" that can be done for a minimal cost?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. M 7

M 7

Go with an OEM (-) connector, followed by lots of rounds (preferably with high quality training) to smooth the trigger out the rest of the way.

rfd339, SARDG, GlockPolock and 8 others like this.

3. Gamera

Gamera

I never mess with a trigger until I’ve put a few hundred rounds through a gun. My 17.5 has the best stock trigger of any Glock I’ve ever shot. I will never mess with it. My 34MOS.5 however has one of the worst triggers of any Glock I've owned and after 1,000 rounds it’s getting yanked. Unless you want to tinker, run it as is and then decide down the road what you would like to adjust.

SARDG, APERS, G19 fan and 4 others like this.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

5. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

I think I will. It's more than acceptable as is. Thank you.

6. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
  7. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

There is no 'upgrade' to an OEM connector. You can get a 4.5lb OEM that should lighten the pull, some, but it isn't an upgrade...it's just a connector designed to give a lighter pull with maybe a little more pre-travel. If you want to close escrow, hone the bearing surfaces of the connector and the trigger bar with deburring, wet dry paper in grits from 1200 to 2000. A Dremel will NEVER completely deburr these surfaces without removing tool steel (the steel needed for the part to do it's designed job).

rfd339, APERS and ChrisJn like this.
  8. Golfer727170

Golfer727170

Put 1k rounds through, then decide.

9. biscut53

biscut53

I've messed around a bit with G3 and G4 triggers. I've come to prefer a few thousand rounds down the tube with a light polish job. In the last year I picked u a G45 (polish and stock trigger 3k); a G43X (stock with a light polish and 900 rounds); a G17.5 and a G34.5. Just picked up the last two. I have 500 rounds through the 34.5 and have to say I'm surprised how smooth the factory trigger is. No rounds in the 17.5 yet to comment. Just added new sights to it today.

What is your G34.5 trigger like? Make it comfortable for you. Asking out of curiosity is all. I've found the break on mine to be smooth and predictable and the reset feels more natural than my G3 pistols. I stopped waiting for the reset click and let go quicker and trusted that my finger acting this way (when I'm doing my part) is faster than the hard reset of the G3's. G4's not so much. But we all tend to feel things in a trigger differently.

Gamera likes this.
  10. Pete Perfection

Pete Perfection Previously Pete perfection

Oem - connector.

APERS likes this.
  11. Gamera

Gamera

It’s extremely gritty and has a hitch in it prior to the wall that has never worked itself out. I was thinking of throwing a Zev Pro in and try that out in the next GSSF match.

12. Ollies930

Ollies930

The one thing I would get is a trigger housing with adjustable pre-travel and over-travel stops. Adjusted properly, you are not messing with the safeties or trigger pull weight, you are just getting rid of all the unnecessary travel. Whatever you decide to do afterwards, this will work with all other modifications you may or may not decide on down the road.
    You may also want to invest in a Glock tool to disassemble your gun and get familiar with it, unless you have an assortment of small screwdrivers or punches. After all you will want to learn to take it down completely for inspection and cleaning. Once you feel comfortable with that, you will not need to pay anyone to install a different connector, you will be able to do this yourself even if you have zero mechanical aptitude.

13. Preyhunter

Preyhunter Huckleberry

You're stuck in the unlimited division if you do that. Anecdotal evidence suggests that putting a minus connector in a Gen5 doesn't provide the improvement in feel that it did for previous generations. If it's that gritty, I'd work on the contact points to smooth out and oil it.

Mcriderhb likes this.
  14. KindOfBlue

KindOfBlue

The more you shoot it the faster this will smooth out. However, I have had great results with polishing the wear surfaces. Made a huge difference when I didn't have the opportunity to fire hundreds of rounds.

15. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

I bought an after market connector for my G19 Ge5, hoping to make it smoother. Trigger pull was no smoother but it was lighter. NOT what I wanted, it's a tad light as is for a carry gun with no safety. I decided to live with the skirtching. I even bought a new Glock connector and trigger assy. Let it skirtch.

16. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

To shoot in unlimited?

SARDG likes this.
  17. jr24

jr24

My typical advise is, rather than messing with a new guns trigger, to shoot the thing at least through 1000 rounds. Things will smooth out and you'll really learn the trigger, then you'll really know if something needs changing. With Glocks I've never felt the need to change anything, myself.

In today's ammo scarce world I guess I'd say to buy some snap caps and possibly one of those laser bullets and dry fire like crazy.

APERS likes this.
  18. MCCM

MCCM

Just leave it as is. I have a G17.5 and as good as the trigger was from the start, after only 1,200 rounds it is already much improved.

FireMedic-50 and APERS like this.
  19. tacticalgecko

tacticalgecko

I really dislike the curved trigger so I change that out asap. Overwatch Precision sells the oem minus connectors. It's also included in their drop in trigger package.

20. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

I assume one can still do the 25 cent trigger job on a Gen5? That is, take some polishing paste and rub all the trigger parts where they rub together. Google it if you want.