close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just bought a new 23c and theres a blemish in the barrel

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ap430, Apr 13, 2012.

1. ap430

ap430

Yesterday I just picked up my new glock 23c gen 3. Immediately I took it into the range at my LGS and shot off 200 rounds of Federal Champion, no issues at all! Ejection was great and no brass to the face like my 17.

I get home an start cleaning my new glock. After cleaning up the barrel all nice, I notice there is gash or it seems to be the barrel was not quite refinished or whatever, that area feels rough and not smooth like it should be. I was pretty bummed that its not "perfect". I really enjoyed shooting it though, and it was quite accurate within my skill level of course.

I guess I will call glock and send them pics an see what they can do for me.

how did a new gun leave the factory like this? any one else ever receive a barrel in this type of condition?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. voyager4520

voyager4520

It may very well be a manufacturing defect, I've seen a few pictures of recently made barrels that had the crown cut off-center, some so bad that one side of the muzzle of the bore doesn't even have a bevel to it.

It could also be leading. Federal Champion probably uses plated bullets, not jacketed bullets. Sometimes when shooting plated bullets in a ported barrel, the plating can expand as it passes the ports and the ports can shear the plating off, leaving exposed lead in contact with the bore. Leading can then become distributed in various places in the bore, but mostly at the muzzle on the crown, the same place shown in your pictures.

Try scrubbing it really well with a phosphor bronze brush and some bore solvent. If that doesn't have any affect on it, call Glock and offer to email them the pictures. They'll probably tell you to send the barrel in, and if they find a problem with it they'll replace it. They may ask you to send the whole firearm to them, in which case I'd ask for a prepaid shipping label, they may not give you one but it's worth asking.

3. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

I agree with voyager here. Could be either from the pics. If you didn't notice it before you shot it, I'm thinking it's from the bullet. A little bore scrubber and a brush will remove it if that's what it is. If it's a bad barrel from the factory, Glock will fix it for you so I wouldn't worry too much.

4. ap430

ap430

Thanks guys,

Voyager, you were spot on! I just got most of it if not all of it off, I used a bronze bore brush with hopes 9. An I think its doing the trick. So basically I need to avoid using plated bullets in my 23c? Can the leading cause permanent damage to the bore if I keep using this plated ammo?

A quick search on google showed up other threads saying there is a warning on Federal Champion says not to use in comp guns. I checked my ammo boxes and none of them have a warning label, even in the fine print.
    https://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18373075

the ammo I have is http://www.luckygunner.com/federal-40-s-w-ammo-for-sale-40sw180fmjfnfederal-1000

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

I would avoid shooting plated bullets in a ported barrel. The plating that shears off in the ports can eject forcefully out of the ports and fly in every which direction. Over time it will put more wear on the port openings. Also, if you get too much leading in the bore the pressure levels can go higher than they're supposed to and if it's bad enough it may bulge the barrel, ruining it.

I haven't seen any of the major ammo brands discern on the packaging whether they use plated or jacketed bullets, the ones that use plated bullets will still be marked "FMJ". Usually the only way to tell is if there's a warning on the box not to shoot that ammo in a ported barrel, Blazer Brass has such a warning. You could also call the ammo manufacturer, give them the specific product number on the box, and ask whether the bullets are plated or jacketed because you intend to use them in a ported barrel.

6. 40 S+W

40 S+W

I think a warning is on FC boxes not to shoot through compensated or ported barrels!!!

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

No issues with plated or jacketed ammunition from my C models. Never had the sort of deposit the OP mentions either. All fouling removed easily with nylon/polymer brushes and modern solvents.

8. ap430

ap430

I'm finding this is a hit or a miss according to some google searches. Seems like federal ammo bought at wal mart people claim this warning on there. The red box stuff that I bought online in a case of a 1000 doesn't have any warning on the boxes whatsoever.

As for the fouling, it was easily removed within minutes by using some hopes 9 and scrubbing with a bronze bore brush.

9. voyager4520

voyager4520

As ede said in that topic, the leading may be coming from the base of the bullet which is exposed lead and not covered by the copper jacket. If that's the case and Federal Champion is actually jacketed, I'd feel comfortable shooting that ammo as long as you watch for leading. Maybe shoot 100 rounds, field strip and run a patch through the bore, and look through the barrel from the chamber end against a light source to see if there's any buildup. If there is, clean the leading out, lubricate the barrel and shoot another 100.

If the leading is coming from the exposed base of the bullet, I'd imagine you'd see it in non-ported barrels as well. I've never seen leading in my non-ported barrels, but I have no idea which bullets are plated vs jacketed and of the jacketed, which have an exposed base.

10. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

just another question to some roughness in the barrel:

i got a gen 3 G19 and at the beginning of the rifling, short after the chamber, the inside of the barrels looks rougher or coarser then the rest the barrel more in the direction of the muzzle.
    on my gen 3 G17 the comlpete barrel is smooth and shiny everywhere.

but the G19 shots at least as precise and perfect as the G17, function and precision is perfect with both models.

has anyone any idea why the G19 barrel is partly (1/2 of an inch or so) rougher?

of course both are cleaned well.

11. voyager4520

voyager4520

I've heard of there being roughness in 9mm Glock barrels in the lands of the rifling just forward of the chamber. It's usually attributed to the finish flaking off. I've never experienced it with my .40 barrels, the bores are smooth as glass. One is the old black finish barrel, the other is the new gray finish barrel.

12. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

ah, i see, so nothing really to worry about, right?
    as mentioned it shoots really perfect, i love it, but the roughness made me a little bit nervous.
    it's in the exact spot you described.
    would you say it's something to worry 'bout?

13. voyager4520

voyager4520

I've never experienced it so I can't say. With the gray barrels I find it hard to believe it would be the finish flaking. If it happened with one of mine I'd worry it was leading or rust.

14. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

i can say (after excessive cleaning) it is not lead or rust, you can clean and clean and clean, but the roughness won't change at all. it also won't get worse, watched it over the years and nothing changed, not to the better nor to the worse.

15. ap430

ap430

I'm thinking of trying some Magtech ammo, which would be better for a comped barrel 165 gr or 180 gr? I called Magtechs customer service and the person I talked to couldn't verify if they used a lead base like Federal. They told me that they have never had any complaints though regarding this...

16. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Guest

OK, I've only owned two - a .40 cal and a 9mm but both took a few hundred rounds and several cleans to get to the mirror bright barrel finish.
    I really thought my 9mm (a G34) was defective but every time I took it shooting and cleaned it it was a little better. Initially it looked like the inside of the barrel was matt finish.
    Just an aside, I was always under the impression that lead bullets were to be avoided. I've always used either jacketed or hard cast moly coated projectiles - almost exclusively hand loaded.
    If it is leading then maybe a different brand of ammo or projectile might be wise.
    Jim
    "Aw, it was only a Tasmanian beer atom" Yahoo Serious, Young Einstein

17. dusty_dragon

dusty_dragon

thanks diamond jim, that gives me hope that the matt / dull surface will go away some time.
    as mentioned not a precision matter, just for optical reason.
    the G19 is near mint condition, though it's a 2.8 gen.
    not more than 300rds i suppose. bought it used for 200 bucks and really love it.