Just bought a FAL... WTF do I have?

Discussion in 'MBR Club' started by I_Hate_George_Lucas, Apr 27, 2012.

1. I_Hate_George_Lucas

I_Hate_George_Lucas

I just purchased this Century Arms FAL for $800. Came with six 20rd magazines, Condor "Tactical" sling, forend rail, and twenty five rounds of Lake City 7.62x51mm NATO. I haven't shot it. Everything is nice and tight on this rifle and the finish is excellent. Just a few dings in the stock and a little parkerization is worn from where the charging handle is.

Anyways... some pics and explanations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The receiver has the following on it. The IMBEL Gear logo followed by...
    FAL
    RECEIVER MADE BY IMBEL - ITAJUBA - BRAZIL
    C.A.I. GEORGIA, VT​

On the upper rear (just below the rear sight) of the lower it has a serial number of 226527

[​IMG]

The serial number on the IMBEL receiver is FAL14XXX. What's interesting is that "FAL" is done by electric dot and the numbers are not and "FAL" is just off line and is not aligned with the numbers. It appears that the "FAL" part of the serial number might have been added after the receiver was made and the numbers were struck. The numbers are in the same font as the information stamped on the receiver.

[​IMG]

Inside of the magwell it's stamped "2004".

[​IMG]

The IMBEL receiver is marked "Cal. 7,62mm (.308)". The lower has the following selector markings. "S", "R", "A". No other marking are on the lower. The selector switch will not move past the "R" but I am not sure if this is due to the selector switch itself or simply the pistol grip.

[​IMG]

The rear sight is graduated from 200mm to 600mm.

2. I_Hate_George_Lucas

I_Hate_George_Lucas

[​IMG]

The front sight post has "0", "4", "8", "12" stamped on it. The gas selector has no markings on it.

[​IMG]

There is an "A" stamped on the gas plug.

[​IMG]

There are no other marking on the rifle. I took the forend off and there are no markings on the barrel. The bolt carrier is stamped with a number that does not match anything else.

3. Airhasz

Airhasz

I would suggest you google the markings...nice weapon!

4. HoldHard

HoldHard

Just my opinion, but it looks like somebody built a FAL kit gun. To accomplish this, an Imbel receiver and parts kit are purchased and the gun is put together. There are quite a few of these out there because they were dumped on the market but ATF prevented their importation as they were full auto (hence the "A" position of the fire selector). The full auto (FA) parts were removed and the receivers cut in half. The remaining parts were then imported into the States as "kits".

The purchased receivers are designed so the FA parts cannot be installed.

HH

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  5. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

You probably got a Century built FAL. They were on the market for a while but have dried up from Century. From what little I know of the Century FAL builds they were decent builds that were better quality than some of the stuff the Century gun monkeys have hammered together in the past. Lube it up and fire away, chances are you'll be pleasantly surprised at how it shoots.

I'm still sitting on a FAL kit with a beautiful barrel that I've contemplated having built but .308 is so expensive I'm thinking about just selling the kit.

6. ca survivor

ca survivor

I have one with a Hesse receiver, supposedly the worst receiver around, but not a problem so far, yours looks very nice enjoy it, I love the FALs

7. banger

banger

To put a "point on the spear".

As others have pointed out, this appears to be a "Century Arms" built rifle.

Think of it roughly as a loose collection of parts that in a normal life would not have met and dated each other.

Century buys these orphans, some new, some stripped from existing rifles.

Century than force fits them into a device that resembles a rifle. In this case it resembles an F.A.L..

In many cases the end result actually fires in a somewhat efficient manner. In some cases this is not so.

For what it is....$800.00 in U.S. Dollars....

Well, just say you are braver than I am.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  8. countrygun

countrygun

I would say that is one of the meanest descriptions of anything I've ever read
    I "would" say it, but I owned a Century CETME that was horribly misdescribed as a "rifle". Perhaps the presence of a muzzle break on one end and a buttplate on the other might have led the uninitiated to conclude that the assemblage of parts between them was in some form a "firearm". Certainly the capguns of my childhood qualified as fine target guns by the same yardstick.

9. smokin762

smokin762

There were 90 or more country’s that had used the FAL rifle which was designed by and licensed from FN. Most of them were of the Metric Pattern. Britain and all their Common Wealth Country’s used what is known as the Inch Pattern, the L1A1, which I have. These rifles are close but some parts are just not interchangeable with the Metric Pattern rifles.

Of these 90 or more Country’s they all had their own version. Which were usually just small modifications.

These modifications were the following:

Sights
    Charging Handle
    Bolt Carrier
    Stock
    Handguard
    Barrel Contour and Bipod Cut and Uncut
    Muzzle Device
    Magazine Release Lever
    Receiver Style, Type 1,2 and 3.

That’s just off the top of my head.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  10. Decguns

Decguns

Century Arms has several different "generations" of FALs. 1st gen fairly horrible. 2nd gen OK. 3rd Gen assembled by someone else (Imbel rifles). 4th Gen (current).

The first being L1A1 sporters assembled in Canada. While typically quite reliable, these suffered from the barrels being indexed incorrectly. This left the sights "canted", and you were lucky to get them to print on paper. Scope them, and they were OK.

The 2nd Gen were US built "sporter" rifles assembled on several different metric and inch receivers. Typically, these were OK. Parts were a hodge podge of whatever Century had. Canadian, UK, Austrian, etc...

The 3rd Gen were sporter rifles built on Imbel receivers. They came in both metric and inch patterns, with & without the Imbel gear logo. There's no way Century built these. Build quality is superb and parts looked as new. Your rifle may be of this generation. Like many of their AK rifles, Century probably contracted the assy of these rifles to Hesse.

The 4th gen is the post AWB ban rifles. These are mostly hodge podge of different parts & variations built on at least 3 different types of receivers. Build quality is generally good. These were built after Century Arms actually started test firing and inspecting rifles before shipment. As parts kits have dried up, so have Century's FALs.