Glock 17 Just an observation about the G26......and G17.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WalterGA, Aug 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Ran a few rounds downrange this afternoon, shooting both my G26 and G17. Consistently shot the G26 more accurately than the G17. Will ceases never wonder?? (I have a Scherer connector and the Lonewolf adjustable trigger stop housing installed on the G26.)

2. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

The subcompact Glocks do shoot well!

3. AR15'em

AR15'em Roll Tide??

Actually, its pretty basic. Some people simply shoot certain guns better than others.

4. WalterGA

And some people are simply simple.

5. MikeG23

MikeG23

I either read or was told that alot of people or more accurate with the subcompacts because of the recoil spring set up. I wonder if there could be any possible truth to that?

6. TimC

TimC Uhavthecontrols

A gunsmith friend of mine often says that one shoots best with guns he "likes" the most. :)

7. Az Stealth

Az Stealth

Out to about 20 yards, I too find that my G26 is slightly more accurate than my G17.

8. AR15'em

AR15'em Roll Tide??

I wouldn't say you were "simple", Walter. Maybe bored, but definitely not simple. Oh, couldn't find a reason to use "cogent" in this one??

9. Skintop911

Skintop911 Uber-Practical

My theory: The reason people shoot the subcompacts better is because of the shorter grip. The shorter grip and reduced surface area forces the shooter to exert a more uniform amount of force in the second and third finger, and none by the fourth. The shorter backstrap also prevents, or at least limits, the effect of any milking, heeling, or other grip-associated problems by simply taking the grip away.

You can see similar results if you grip a larger frame with just your second and third fingers, and fly your pinky. Similar results, but not identical, as there is backstrap and other surface area that will accept your errant inputs.

Grip your full size guns and subcompacts, paying particular attention to the "feel" in your second and fourth fingers.

For these reasons, I don't use and don't allow finger extensions on guns under my control.

As far as the recoil spring theory goes... Gotta say "bunk." The additional spring weight might cause a more uniform and repeatable lockup, but it is unlikely that anyone here is shooting well enough to produce that minor difference in these guns.

10. fredglock

fredglock

Perhaps a more cogent argument is that it is a matter of sight radius. A longer sight radius that increases accuracy for young eyes can become a detriment to older eyes. It is quite common for presbyopic people to shoot better with shorter barrels.

fred

11. Hydrilla

Hydrilla

It does defy logic to me at least how good the G26 shoots. When I first shot one, it felt funny to have my pinky hanging off the grip, and I didn't like it at all- until I brought the target back and saw how close together the holes in the paper were ;P Then I went out and bought one.

12. shark_za

shark_za Woes

My humble opinion, if you look at the 26/27/28/33 the backstrap has a more curved hump that just sits better in the hand.
    Another opinion was that the shorter barrels are more rigid and therefore more accurate (doesnt gel with me)

13. jem375

jem375 NRA Life Member

when I first started shooting my G26, I shot low and left, everyone wrote that it was my trigger pull...after shooting it for awhile the impact moved up to just left and about even with the bullseye..I do put enough in the black to know it is still my trigger pull, I just can't seem to be consistent with the trigger finger as of yet, still working on it....even when I pull my shots a little to the left, I can tell the G26 is an accurate handgun, hope so it is my main carry gun....

14. WalterGA

Well, I don't believe that ocular maturity is making any difference in my handgunning. I use contacts such that my strong eye sees pretty good up close. The G26 has a little better trigger than my G17. There have also been lots of posts on GT over the years that lots of folks shoot their G30's better than their G21's.

15. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

I ain't no engineer and I ain't no eye doctor but one thing is for sure...that little G26 is one hell of a shooter!!!;i ;i ;i I have a real hard time MISSING!!;g

I love the way my G17's shoot and have shot my 2nd Gen at IDPA and other matches extremely well. It's been a constant companion for many years and I always felt very confident with it.

But ever since I shot my first G26, and especially now, that I've been shooting the newest BABY GLOCK in the stable, I can say with confidence...that it shoots just as well if not better than my G17;f .

A couple of years ago a gun writer was stating rather boldly, that the G30 was the most accurate Glock he had ever shot. I still don't know about that. But if the way my G26 shoots is any indication of how ALL of the mini's shoot, than that writer might just be correct!

My new G26 and I have started a beautiful relationship, and she's not even broke in yet!!! ;3

16. JohnH

JohnH Millennium Member

I shot my G26 much better than my G34; way more accurate out to sixteen yards. I think it's the grip. Some one opined that the shorter grip didn't permit milking the grip. Curling the little finger under the grip makes for better trigger control. Whatever, I shot the G26 extremely well. JohnH

17. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

Hey Walter?

I think that gun magazine editor/self defense professional/shooting champion Massad Ayoob had a theory for this.......

Like it was mentioned, the smaller grip frame makes for a steadier hold and the shorter sight radius makes for better sight alignment and stiffer springs make you more accurate. Just thought I'd let you know what a pro thought it might be;)

Eddie ducking out the back way before Walter sees him.....;f ;f ;f

18. WalterGA

Yeah, that little egomaniacal, Napoleonic "genius" is "full of" interesting theories.

19. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

20. 9fingers

9fingers

I too love my G26, and it shoots well. Alas, I too suffer from presbyopia, and have trouble seeing handguns sights much at all. I'll just have to be 5 yards or so away, or use a rifle.;g