close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just about Canning Time!!

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by SouthernGal, Aug 9, 2004.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

The tomatoes are starting to turn and in just a few weeks I'll be canning salsa and pizza sauce.

This hasn't been a good year for gardens since we got drenched in rain on the first month of the growing season then for the past few weeks it has cooled off but we've not gotten any rain. I've been picking tomatoes every other day now for the past two weeks.

I know Pontif has already done some canning. Who else is canning this year?

I'm going to miss having my brother in town for the end of the season "Rotten Tomato Battle".

2. failsafe

failsafe

I have canned 11 quarts of tomato juice so far this year..It has been a little cool and the crop has not been real woopie...Best year I had was 95 quarts of tomato products, in the same size garden...I think my soil is worn out...

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Tomatoes are watery here. I have frozen about 20 quarts but haven't had enough to can at once. I won't go into how many I have eaten after cooking down for freezing ;g

4. lonewolf28152

lonewolf28152

My garden is pretty well done for except the bell peppers and hot peppers. I had 116 tomato plants so I am glad all the canning is out of the way. My plants would have lasted longer but we had to much rain at one time. I still have about five plants next to the house though. I forgot about those, that makes 121 plants.

5. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

I put up 20 halfpints of salsa last night. We still have tomatoes coming in though, so there's plenty of time for me to put more up.