Just A Thought On Handcuffs...........

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by LinuxLover, Oct 19, 2019.

1. picrthis

picrthis

the other can hold it for him :exercise:

2. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

You get in his face, and "cuff him" along side the chops with the back of your hand!!!!!!:D

Mtnfolk75 likes this.

3. El Pistolero

El Pistolero

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    I carried a restraint belt in my unit for special needs.
    FF7D25AE-FE83-4251-AB82-1118BE7BCD2F.jpeg

1L26 likes this.
  4. jk_226

jk_226

To his belt.

pgg00, wprebeck and Mtnfolk75 like this.
  5. jk_226

jk_226

There could be 2 arrests sent in separate cars.

Also, you'll occasionally run into someone huge enough you need to cuff one set of cuffs to the other and then cuff them to get their arms behind their back.

Cuffing two offenders together with one set of cuffs would leave each one with a free arm. Not the most secure setup.

Also, on the rare occasion you run out of booking without retrieving your cuffs, you still have one pair left.

A second set of cuffs doesn't add a ton of weight to the belt, so there's not much to lose by carrying them.

6. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

When my wife was a principal of grade school, a teacher brought in a third grader for a talking to.

Teacher: Go ahead, tell Missus Principal what you did. (Standing behind kid and smiling ear to ear.)

Kid: I handcuffed Lucy to the lunch table. (Sheepishly)

Principal: where did you get handcuffs?

Kid: I found them in my mothers night table.

Needless to say teacher and principal kept a straight face while chastising the kid.

Principal called mother (left message) and told her what happened and that she was welcome to come and retrieve the cuffs and discuss the kids behavior.

Never heard from her. :devildance:

7. Ftttu

Ftttu

If I had a clown who could get his cuffs to the front, I’d stick the cuffs through the rear of his belt before cuffing, or if no belt, I’d run the cuffs through the rear belt loop first. Both aren’t full proof since you can rip a belt loop and pull pants off, but cuffs are far from full proof themselves.

tuica likes this.
  8. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Again it's best if they have their backs to the tree........
    I may have tried this with duct tape on a university campus... Was very careful where the tape went....

9. jk_226

jk_226

True.
    But with only one arm, choices are limited without a restraint belt.

I'll add I've never had to cuff a one armed man. Have seen one cuffed to his wheelchair though.

Ftttu likes this.
  10. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

OK - admittedly I was thinking of a Cool Hand Luke type of restraint system as invented by Strother Martin

Two people with left-to-left or right-to-right can't run very fast through the swamps.... not unless they can run right behind each other and that makes for a krazy mental picture.

tuica likes this.
  11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Problem is, in the real world, if you handcuff 2 guys together and they take off running through the swamps, a police officer's biggest worry isn't whether they get away, it's whether he's getting fired, losing his house, or going to prison if they fall in the water and drown. Also, you can't put 'em in the box when you catch 'em.

tracicali, larry_minn and tuica like this.
  12. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I saw a utube in the UK I think. They took out two guy arrested in a protest, cuffed together left, to right. They made up plan to run. After @40' one went on each side of a sign.... ;)

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

In the U.S., each of them would sue the police for a civil rights violation, for failing to protect him from the guy they handcuffed him to, and they'd both probably win.

pgg00 and tracicali like this.
  14. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

Let me see if I can use an analogy that will shed some light on the topic. Using linux is sort of like having one hand handcuffed. You can do about half the stuff you could normally do. LOL.

15. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    Two guys cuffed right to right works very well, I have done it that way many, many times throughout a 27 year career. (Note green line in avatar) It allows them to walk a narrow trail back to the vehicle, but they aren’t running anywhere fast. Since most people are right handed, they are inconvenienced and pose less of a threat to an officer working alone. Cuffing two arrestees left to right is just asking for trouble.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  16. Triple Taps

Triple Taps Best Friends

After arresting shooters for shooting and wounding officers, remember NOT to handcuff them to the bumpers of your police vehicles.

You may forget that they are there and drive off with them screaming for miles before remembering they are still handcuffed to your bumper.

Mostly because of the extra paperwork involved.

OH, I forgot. If you have both shooters handcuffed together and to the bumper of your vehicle, that would double your paperwork.

Also, if they are handcuffed together and you set them on the ground in front of the police vehicles, someone might forget or not see them. If officers drive off and accidentally run over them, that is still double and maybe triple the paperwork.

If you have a Rookie partner, that will give them report writing practice, so there is an upside to handcuffing two together, even if they are run over several times or handcuffed to your rear bumper and forgotten for miles.

I know, you think there is no place to handcuff them to your bumper.

Got that question covered: Look a little ways under your bumper and you will find the vehicle maker has installed a 2 inch metal loop for hooking them up.
    Police vehicles come fully equipped with these loops or rings, a handy accessory. They act like a come-along for those who fight not to be put inside your vehicle. After a few miles they seem to change their mind about riding inside your vehicle.
    Technology works!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    arnold ziffle, pgg00 and VicFangio like this.
  17. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I’ve done it when I had more bad guys than cuffs. I’ve also cuffed people to my push bumper.