Glock Talk banner

Just a simple HEY to all the Marines here from Doc

1039 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  solomansousana
Served 20 years and a day in the Navy as a Hospital Corpsman/Independent Duty Corpsman, with a major portion of that with the USMC, OOH RA.

Just wanted to shout out to all the marines here and say hello.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was a great 20 years. The simplicity of life, knowing exactly when to wake up, looking at the POTD knowing exactly how your day would be filled, the comradery. Civilian life is oh so different, mostly it's of the CYA and not really trusting anyone to have your back. I've been out now since 20001, but I still get up at 0445, house is impeccably clean, and all you Marines know, when you check out of base housing the CSM will inspect your unit with a white freakin glove. My habits are still the same as they were in service especially cleaning a weapon, no matter if only 1 round was fired I clean it 3 days in a row until it passes the white glove test. I almost decided on going for another 4 years, but that would have meant having to rotate to Portsmouth Naval Hospital, granted, I would have made Chief, but rank at that time didn't mean all that much to me as staying where I felt mostly at home.

Little background:

Grandfather was an Army Air Corps Major flying B17s out of Algeria during WWII
My father spent 10 years with the Marines before switching branches and doing 15 in the Air Force.
Brother did 4 years in the service on the USS Enterprise then left when he was offered a tech job paying nearly 10 times his naval pay.

· Senior Moment
9,354 Posts
Corpsman and medic are tough jobs when tending to the wounded under fire. If you become stationary in a firefight, you become an easy target. When I was wounded, a corpsman bandaged the wound and gave me a shot that knocked me out. I slept through the rest of the battle.
I have the greatest respect for corpsmen. The same one that tended to me went on to become a doctor down in Houston.

· Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, I miss the service. My dad was a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune when I was born, it's ironic, later in life when I joined the Navy, then went with the Fleet Marines I ended up right back where I was born, almost 3/4 of my entire Naval service I served with the Corps. Now you ask, why didn't I just go Corps? Education mostly, the Navy has the preeminent schools of all the services, plus, at the time, I believed "My feet were NOT made for walking". Military life was simplistic, you wake up, do your P/T, report to your workstation and follow the POTD. Life for me on post was mosty caring for my Marines and their families, off time I often did some work in the community for those without health care,, or I spent my time at my second home, the range, I felt at " home on the range ". All the ammo you could fire was provided, I spent a LOT of time with my Colt 1911, AR, Winchester bolt and a great M60, hell, I even drove an M1 Abrams, but that's another story as I was banned for life from ever driving the Abrams by my CO, but, answer me this, " Who in the HELL parks a CUCV in front of a TANK??????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts