Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Glock. It is a Glock 45 gen 5. I have a question, will the slide and barrel from a Glock 23 fit and operate safely so that I could use Glock 22 mags in it and shoot .40 Cal. So it would be a Glock 23x sort of? Will it work? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Glock Talk

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
O.k. Glock was taking back 23 and 22 police early release guns and replacing the frames. The Gen 5 model uses a different safety setup. The plunger in the slide. The gen 1-4 have a different design set up. I would not trust it for serious use. Range only.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Welcome to the General Glocking Forum.
...will the slide and barrel from a Glock 23 fit and operate safely so that I could use Glock 22 mags in it and shoot .40 Cal.
Putting a pre-Gen5 slide assembly on the G45 frame requires its use of a Gen5 Slide Cover Plate in order to even fit the slide assembly on a Gen5 frame.

One major problem with the proposal is the cylindrical flat-bottom pre-Gen5 slide assembly's Firing Pin Safety. The Gen5 Firing Pin Safety of a G45 slopes across its backside width to properly ride up the polymer ramp on the raised front right side of the Gen5 Trigger Mechanism Housing as the slide recoils. The pre-Gen5 Firing Pin Safety is not properly shaped for that ride, although it'll work "half-vast" for a while. The pre-Gen5 Trigger Mechanism Housing does NOT have a ramp on its right side on which the pre-Gen5 Firing Pin Safety must ride. and thus requires no special shape of the Firing Pin Safety to ride a ramp.

Further, the pre-Gen5 Firing Pin Safety requires precise alignment of the Trigger Bar below it to lift adequately during trigger pull. That close alignment may be lost if the Magazine Catch is configured to the right side of the grip, as the G45 frame allows. (A right-side mounted Magazine Catch can twist the top of the magazine enough to rub and push the trigger bar right during trigger pull.) Gen4 Trigger Bars have an alignment bump that assures its proper alignment. Gen5 Trigger Bars do not have the alignment bump because the Gen5 Firing Pin Safety does not require critical alignment of the Trigger Bar below it to lift adequately. The use of a Gen4 or earlier slide's Firing Pin Safety with a bumpless Gen5 Trigger Bar below it may result in failure to fire if the Magazine Catch is on the right side.

There's also the issue of the Gen5 ambidextrous Slide Stop Lever interaction with a pre-Gen5 slide.

The use of any 40SW slide assembly on a 9x19mm Gen5 frame assembly raises other serious issues. Gen5 pistols use the exact SAME Locking Block of Gen3 and Gen4 pistols, without the Locking Block Pin that was found necessary 30 years ago to prevent polymer frame damage caused by Locking Block rocking in early Gen2 40SW pistols.

The 9x19mm round has never damaged Glock frames without Locking Block Pin. (The LBP is on the 1995 G26 and other 9x19mm models after 2002 just to standardize pistol construction between calibers.) It is no surprise that Gen5 frames without LBP are adequate for 9x19mm. The only Gen5 pistols (without LBP) yet made in 40SW are a few pistols for the MHS XM17 trials and a significantly-altered G22 for a Brazilian police organization. In-service experience and a subsequent verdict is still a long way coming to determine if the Gen5 frame without LBP is satisfactory for any caliber superior to 9x19mm.

There is little doubt that some gun-bubba somewhere has "half-vast" kludged together a 40SW pre-Gen5 slide on a Gen5 frame and thinks it works. It is definitely not a configuration that any informed Glock owner would attempt to use for serious purposes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts