Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to just buy a handgun already produced for the mounting of a RED DOT.
OR already having a good handgun having it milled to mount a RED DOT. Should it go back to the factory for the milling or should I trust a local Gunsmith with that job.
I'm seeking answers from people who have done both ways and the cost involved.
If you have an opinion please post it.
thanks
DA

·
Registered
13,585 Posts
Never had one milled, I have had several drilled and tapped for a mounting a dot. Not sure I'd say one was produced for mounting a dot but have mounted dots on factory guns with no modifications. There is no advantage of one over the other, the end result is the same.
You won't find many if any factories that will modify one of their pistols.

·
Registered
21,487 Posts
Like said above. With an optic ready one you can mount different dots depending on what you have or want. Just put it on the correct plate. With a milled one you only can use that one optic it was milled for. Also if their is any screw up in the milling process that slide it toast.

If you want milled I would almost go for an aftermarket slide that is already set up for the dot you want. If there are any issues with the milling then you have a company that can replace it

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
If you are committed to a specific model then get a milled slide. You won’t need suppressor sights.

However If you’re not, then a Glock MOS is your better option.

The worst option is the red dot mount that goes in the place of the rear sight. It’s a temporary fix but it gives you an option of trying without a major financial or permanent commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I opted for milling. Twice now. Any way you go on this question there are trade offs. You have to decide what's right for you and your intended use.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I hate being limited to what dot optic I can run and still have use of fixed sight if needed . Also so dot optic that are great for most needs my not be very clear in darker conditions o your shopping for another optic . I have a M&P core with some apex upgrades and its a shooter , just wish they offered a factory milled compact 2.0 model .

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
I prefer a slide milled for a dot. It can mount lower and be closer to a standard sight height.
Pick the Holosun/RMR pattern and you don't have to worry about other dots.
I guess the caveats I have about that are:
RMSc with the Shield MOS plate mounts co-witnessing with factory Glock sights.

Some optics like the SRO are limited in depth of milling because of front overhang.

This is my Euro optics ready shadow 2 side with RMR footprint plate. You can see that it already is as low as possibly can be due to the overhang. You don’t get anything with milling it... except a one trick pony.

From a guy with 4 specifically milled slides now for the same gun and two optic plate versions... I like optics plates for versatility.

38509A0B-5710-4EFE-9325-91CFF0C0BB0D.jpeg

·
Registered
21,487 Posts
I guess the caveats I have about that are:
RMSc with the Shield MOS plate mounts co-witnessing with factory Glock sights.

Some optics like the SRO are limited in depth of milling because of front overhang.

This is my Euro optics ready shadow 2 side with RMR footprint plate. You can see that it already is as low as possibly can be due to the overhang. You don’t get anything with milling it... except a one trick pony.

From a guy with 4 specifically milled slides now for the same gun and two optic plate versions... I like optics plates for versatility.

View attachment 762560
I just picked up a CZ P10 full size optic ready. I was thinking of the SRO for it

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I've had my duty gun and off duty gun milled for the Trijicon RMR.

I'm not playing with different optics. We get issued the RMR so I got an RMR for my off duty. Might as well keep everything the same.

·
MacGyver
7,609 Posts
The old saying: Jack of all trades, master of none-- goes here with factory red dot ready slides.

Compromise on both sides. My personal preference is to commit on what optic platform to use, and a milled slide to that platform.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
I wouldn’t want to fool with shipping off a gun to have the work done. I would either buy one ready to go from the factory, or buy a slide for an existing gun that is setup and ready to go.

·
USS Texas BB-35
4,583 Posts
For a Glock/RMR/Holosun pistol. Check out the Brownells slides. Stainless steel construction, nice deep pocket for the rds to sit in Blick Nitride coating, and close to $200 esp if you catch a sale.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I wouldn’t want to fool with shipping off a gun to have the work done. I would either buy one ready to go from the factory, or buy a slide for an existing gun that is setup and ready to go.
All you have to do is ship the slide. Its never taken longer than 2 weeks to machine any of mine.

·
Banned
547 Posts

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for your recommendations.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts