Just a new guy saying hello (long)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by YearZero, Feb 2, 2010.

1. YearZero

YearZero

So a few months ago I decided I wanted to own a firearm. Both for home defense and target practice at the range.

Growing up in NYC having a gun was pretty much not even a possibility (legally that is) however I did get to spend each summer upstate where my extended family did shoot and every once in a while I got to join in. Well, now I am a responsible, law abiding adult and reside down in Florida where I live with my girlfriend and our two 80 lb Doberman's. So the first part of my home defense plan is in place ;)

Having never owned a gun before I did a little research and knew I wanted a semi-auto pistol but that was about it. I went off a recommendation from someone we knew and went to a local dealer. They were actually the farthest of the three in my area but I was told to "stay away from dealer X" and saw some bad reviews about dealer Y. We went in and spoke to one of the salesman and I first decided on what caliber. I picked 9mm based on the cost of ammo since I plan to hit the ranges at least once or twice a month.

The first gun he showed me was a Glock.

I never really gave anything else serious consideration after that.

Again, I never owned a firearm before and what little pistol experience I had was about 20 years ago when I was just a teenager but I knew Glock was the right choice for me. It's simplicity and overall no-nonsense design really grabbed me. I was not really planning on it but I went ahead and put my deposit down on a Glock 17 with the factory night sights. A few days later I went in to pick it up.

During the wait time I spent hours online reading reviews, articles and watching all sorts of videos on the 17. I also started to re-think my choice on the 17 vs the 19. When I went back in after the wait period I looked at the two of them side by side again for a while then changed my mind and got the 17 instead. I'm glad I did

I bought two boxes of practice ammo and one box of defense ammo. I hope that box of defense ammo never needs to be replaced.

That afternoon my girlfriend and I went to a local range. Unfortunately they have a policy that you have to buy their ammo to shoot there :steamed: so I had to fork out more money which I don't have but it was worth it. I set the target about 5 yards back and lined up for my first shot of MY gun.

I was really surprised that hit it pretty much right in the center, only about 2 inches down and to the left. The rest of my shots (about 100 rounds) were "ok". For some reason they all seem to group too low and to the left. I'm thinking I must be gripping to tight??

I have not had any time to get back to the range but almost every night I take it out and play with it. (I know "play" is not the right word, forgive me)

Play, SAFELY of course.

I am drilling myself and her to treat it as if was loaded all the time. A mindset I actually learned way back when in upstate NY when I was around my Uncle and his guns.

I never point the muzzle at anything I don't want to destroy (except the light switch by the door..lol ), I always check to make sure there is no magazine inside and I rack the slide back and visually check the chamber.

I have loaded one of the mag's with the self defense ammo however I have not actually put it in the gun while in the house yet. I just keep it on my nightstand with the gun wrapped in a cloth next to it. When I pick the gun up to "play" I hand her the loaded magazine that sits on my nightstand and have her set it across the room on her side of the bed on her nightstand.

The only one thing I have caught myself doing twice now was not keeping my finger off the trigger when its not supposed to be.:crying:.

My girl probably thinks I'm crazy for messing around with it so much but its more for me to really get used to handling it and understanding EXACTLY how it works. What each and every part does and how it interacts with the next part. I'm just crazy like that. I like to know how things work. I used to take apart all my toys when I was a kid. This morning I went into the bathroom and field stripped it and put it back together in pitch black darkness.

I like the way this thing works.

I do plan on going for my CCW soon and want to look into taking some formal courses as well. Maybe even checking out the local IDPA. I also need to figure out a safe and secure yet quick way to store it. We dont have kids or anything so having it locked is not an issue (well the dogs are our kids but they don't have thumbs...lol). The one thing does concern me is theft. Id hate to have my home broken into and my gun stolen. Not that its not replaceable or anything but the fact that my gun is out on the street in the hands of some punk would bother me more than anything.

Anyway, sorry for long stupid boring post. In a nutshell, I am the happy owner of a new Glock 19 with factory night sights. Fist time buying a gun, probably wont be my last.

2. Hairy

Hairy

Welcome aboard......sounds like your on the right track, handeling your gun helps to learn about it, just remember to triple check that it is unloaded.
    Enjoy and good luck.......keep that finger off the trigger unless your good to go! :welcome:

3. Spike32

Spike32

4. ScottCBA1

ScottCBA1

Congrats on the new gun! Like mentioned above, handling the gun will only make you more comfortable with it. The good thing with Glocks is that you can dry fire all you want so you can get use to the trigger pull as well.

-Scott

5. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Congrats! And Welcome!

Yes, get some training as soon as you can, and take the lady along, she'll need training too. Best not to try to teach her yourself, that's a bad idea about 98.5 % of the time. Find her a female instructor if you can, they speak the same language.

<---Check out my blog (click on the little 8)

6. YearZero

YearZero

Thanks for the link but what exactly does it mean by "jerking the shot"? I don't think I am pulling to fast on the trigger. I try to pull it smooth and steady. Sort of the same way I would release the shutter on a DSLR.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

If your shots are low, there is a distinct possibility that you are anticipating recoil, and in your mind, you THINK you can counter act this by pulling the gun down the instant the shot breaks. In reality, there is nothing, absolutely nothing you should be doing while the shot breaks, EXCEPT, looking at the front sight to make sure it is rock steady still pointed at the intended target...and pressing that trigger back so silky smooth the sight picture does not get disturbed.

'Drew

8. billkny

billkny

Being a new gun owner if you haven't already, please join the NRA
    Thanks, Bill

9. voyager4520

voyager4520

10. YearZero

YearZero

I do plan on joining the NRA just for the purpose of supporting it. I also plan on checking out the next IDPA in my area and possibly joining in on that too.

11. YearZero

YearZero

Yes, that makes total sense to me and would probably explain why my very first shot ever with this gun was right on target. After that it was constantly off.

Unfortunately my job has me travel allot so I have not have time to go back to the range and wont be another week or so till I can get the time. Now I know what it feels like to have an itchy trigger finger ;)

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Exactly, sir.

Only cure for itchy trigger finger is 125 rounds twice a day, for seven days. :whistling:

'Drew

13. Tank44

Tank44 Tank44

Welcome to the forum. Don't give up on other guns if you haven't been exposed to them. I own Glocks, Sigs, Bersas, and Ruger revolvers. They all have a place and a purpose. I like the way you do research and your practice methods. Keep it up. From how you decide your experience I believe that you will eventually own several brands. Enjoy! Oh, and don't forget, there are lots of long guns out there to experience.

14. b2unit

b2unit

Words to live by BTDT lol
    B2