close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

just a main question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Roslynn, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Roslynn

Roslynn

My question is. Do you have to go to a police acadamy if you want to be a police officer, even though you are in college for criminal justice?:faint::drink:

2. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

way it work in my town , is most go to community college here and get associate degree in CJ

now if you want to be a beat cop with no advancements you can take the BLET 9 weeks of training ,running learning then you can work for sheriff or police dept .

its not hard at all. the only thing that pisses folks off round these parts you got 21 year olds who think they know everything with a badge after 9 weeks .

3. jp3975

jp3975

Yes...you have to go to academy.

Id suggest you rethink the CJ degree if you want to be a cop. Because that's about all the degree is good for and they dont care what your degree is in.

A lot of cops will tell you to get it in something else.

4. jp3975

jp3975

...And we do have a cop talk sub forum that might be a better place for any questions about the profession.

5. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

http://www.cccc.edu/blet/

trust me , here its cake walk .

and since my cousin took it ,its 16 weeks not 9 anymore , it was 9 for long time

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  6. Roslynn

Roslynn

well i'm already in school, there is no point in dropping out. Okay thanks for letting me know their is a cop talk one. I will look for it. I can always change my courses if I have too.

7. Roslynn

Roslynn

where are you from

8. Roslynn

Roslynn

i do not have the ablity to get into the cop talk one yet

9. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

It depends on your State.

I am pretty sure every State has the Academy option. Some States have "alternative" options (academic options) Texas has a handful of these. I dont know how it works. Some States will allow people to "Challenge the Test" without having gone to an Academy or academic alternative. An obvious example would be people who were in the Military that have a career field that a State deems acceptable to take the test.

There is some language in many States laws that says something to the effect of "At the discretion of....(high official) a person may take the test...(without any of the pre-reqs)" So there is always that. It is my understanding this is reserved for folks with heavy academic creds, connections and a need. For example, someone with a JD who is taking a position with a State agency that requires (or could) the person to be LEO. Another example would be a really rare case of a Trauma Surgeon or the like who wants to be a medical Officer for a SWAT team or other high risk unit. Again, a real outlier.

10. Rabbi

BTW, dont get a CJ degree. Dont. Just dont do it. Diversify your skill set. CJ cop has no advantage over Business degree cop....except business degree cop can do something else besides being a cop.

The other side of that is, There are things you learn at the Academy you dont learn getting a CJ degree. I dont think CJ majors do a lot of ground fighting, track time in large American sedans or even simple things like, how to index your cuffs in the case. I also dont know who would want to hire a green guy who hasnt even proven themselves in an Academy.

11. Padre

Padre

Rabbi:
    Don't you know..new guys just out of the Academy know everything about everything :rofl:

12. Rabbi

At my very first call, at that "What the hell is this?...What the hell do I do?...I figured out real quick that PT and learning how to pass a State test had not really prepared me to be a cop. :embarassed:

The Academy is an initiation. The streets are where one becomes a Cop.

13. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Check the requirements of the Department you want to join. Some do require that you have a Criminal Justice Degree while most don't.

I hate to say it but a CJ degree kind of sucks in the LE Community. It will not help you much if you want to get into the Feds, like the FBI, DEA, NSA, CIA, Secret Service, etc. You WILL be better off taking accounting, Computer Science, biology, Chemistry, Pre Law, Political Science w/ a Language.

A Criminal Justice degree also does not give you a advantage when applying to Law School. You are ranked the same as someone with an English degree :dunno:

At the State and local level, if a CJ degree is not a requirement you will be better off just applying now. If you are a freshman in college, and you apply to a epartment now you can be a Sergent or even a Detective withing 4 years if you apply yourself. Then you can always take classes and have your department pay for them to finish your degree if you wish. A CJ degree will help a little bit moving up the ladder, but not any more then any other degree.

Sorry, I was a police officer for 7 years , and let's just say I was asked by a young guy who was thinking of getting a CJ degree. He asked me, a current Federal Agent, a Retire County Detective, and everyone was in agreement, If its not a requirement A CJ degree isn't worth it.

14. The Hawk

The Hawk

Retired LEO here. I have never heard of anyone becoming a Police Officer w/o graduating from the academy. You may be able transfer from department to department, but still have to graduate from an academy.
    Our department required a college degree. It did not matter what the degree was in. There were several reasons for this. You will do a lot of paperwork as a LEO. Hopefully, college will prepare you for that. Good luck.

15. Rabbi

Again, in Texas and some other States, there is some forms of academic alternatives.

http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/content/training_providers_academic.cfm

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/TXBasicAcademy/message/1990

I honestly dont know how it works.

16. Roslynn

Roslynn

thanks. So I'm just better off going to an acadamy. Bad paper is I have a full time job right now. So I don't know how I could do it, because I am the only income coming in.

17. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I have a degree (edit: B.S.) in CRJU. I work @ Lowe's. :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  18. jp3975

jp3975

The way it usually works is you apply for a job as an officer. Whether it be sheriff's dept, pd, or jail.

You will take a written test, which is easy, a physical test...which could be easy or hard depending on dept and how fast you can run if they require it...then go onto lie detector and psych exams.

Pass that and you go to academy on their dime AND get paid to do it. Pass academy and you're on at that dept.

So...you can keep your job and just apply at all the local depts. You'll just have to be able to take off for their exams and such.

19. Rabbi

I wouldnt say that is "the way it usually" works. That is one way it works. In a lot of States (Texas for one) most people self sponsor through an Academy then try to find a job. For the most part the very large departments will have their own Academies and hire you then send you through. These are going to be the most competitive of all options.....and right now, in most places, everything is competitive. There are not hiring going on.

The big exception being Sheriffs departments that *may* send Jailers through the local "pay as you go" Academy.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  20. jp3975

jp3975

My mistake then. The PDs/Sheriffs depts Ive applied to in Texarkana, TX/AR and Shreveport/Bossier, LA worked like that from what I remember.

Seems like someones always hiring around these parts.

Something for the op to look into in any case. Im sure the depts he/she wants to work at will tell them if they pay you while in academy or not.