close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just a few months away...

Discussion in 'Lone Star Glockers' started by Critias, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Well, Mrs. Crit and I are almost there. We're wading through all the paperwork for a house we're buying in Cleburne, and if everything stays on track we'll be on our way down there in just eight or nine weeks.

Y'all are about to be stuck with me! :wavey:

2. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Congrats. Hope everything works out great.

I couldn't imagine moving such a distance. Hope it all comes together well.

3. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Well, the good news is that she's from the area originally, so we've got the basic area knowledge, family/friends network in place, etc, etc. It's not a totally blind long-distance move, which helps. In theory, once we get the truck packed up and hit the road, the only real difference between a cross-country and a cross-city move will be how long we're on the road, y'know?

It's all new to me, mind, but I've loved Texas every time I've visited, so far. I'm looking forward to it!

4. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

It's a great state. We have everything down here, well except open carry and a few other things but still.

The longest that I moved was when we moved from Dallas to the Waco area. The return trip that is. It was easy but stressful.

Hopefully it won't be too hot when you do the move.

5. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

if you have not been thru the burleson and Cleburne area in awhile prepare to be amazed. whole burleson area has blown up beyond imagination.

welcome and make sure to take advanage of our local gun shops and shooting ranges - many good ones in our area.

6. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Cleburne is not too close and not too far from the big city, both of them!

End of May, beginning of June. The weather will be pretty good for your arrival.
    This year will be an unusually mild summer, so don't be fooled by it. Enjoy it, but don't expect to see it again for 30 years.

Are you coming to begin a job, or to look for a job? Either way is ok.

7. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Mrs. Crit is -- funny/irritating story, actually -- in the area right now, flown down there very, very, last minute for a face-to-face interview for a nursing position. Knock on wood, but if things go well in the next few hours she'll be on a day shift schedule and making a few bucks an hour more than she was up here and collecting a $1,000 relocation check. So we're all set for her side of things.

My immediate future is, maddeningly, out of my hands at the moment. I'm wrapping up my Bachelor's in a few weeks, and I've done pretty well since returning to school, impressing professors enough they've encourage me to pursue higher education. I set my sights on a Master's, got accepted pretty quickly to a couple schools, but now I'm having issues with funding. Without an assistantship or a scholarship or two, I just can't handle out-of-state tuition. The upside to TA positions and grants and such is that just earning them bumps you down to in-state, on top of the money you get -- but without that kind of help, I just plain can't afford it.

Soooooo...for myself, I'm in a holding pattern right now, depending on what I can hear back from a couple universities. I'll either be pursuing my Master's, or I'll be applying all around the area for substitute teacher positions and/or looking into non-traditional state certification and trying to teach full time. I've contacted a few school districts and put out feelers, found a few that would be willing to work with me on the certification front, etc, etc, but it really comes down to what I hear back on the grad school side of things.

EDIT TO ADD: And I've heard we'll be lucky this summer, yeah. I'm not too terribly worried about the heat, as I spent long enough working at a Scout Camp -- 11 weeks without a/c, all summer, every summer -- that I'm pretty used to sweating anyhow. The average high temperatures around mid-July aren't too terribly different than what I'm used to. Wish me luck, anyhow. ;)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  8. trifecta

trifecta

Welcome to the area. Don't forget the private schools. In state/out of state tuition is the same.

9. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Oh, and for the record, I've already got a hare brained scheme about having some sort of Texas Glocktalker barbecue or something, once we get settled in. Greater-DFW-Area Glocktalkers, at the very least -- everyone else is invited, mind, but my feelings won't be hurt if folks from further out don't make the drive. ;)

10. TxSoldier

TxSoldier

I live in Burleson, if you need anything holler at me. Welcome!