close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

junebugs suck

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by 357glocker, Jun 13, 2006.

1. 357glocker

357glocker

Been riding for two months now and hate parking it. Got almost 2k on the little EX250, just can't get enough. Riding home from work last night though caught a junebug right square in the throat! Nice splat factor and it's been a while since being shot by a BB gun! Got home and the girlfriend asked why I had the welt on my throat. I've been glanced by them and had quite a few whack the facemask pretty good, and even had a starling side swipe the engine block, but dang this thing hurt! Oh well that's part of the fun, huh! What's the biggest thing you've had hit you? I also ride through deer territory for most of my miles, what is the normal consequence to the rider when your bike splits a deer in half at 60-70mph?? Would a heavier bike protect me anymore, I'm thinking of moving up to a 700's class bike in the near future?

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

We don't have june bugs out where I'm at, but we do have a few big bugs and somehow they will find that tiny sliver of flesh between the collar and the helmet and kill themselves on it. Yeah, at around 80-something, it hurts like the dickens. Rain drops at 80-something also hurts like the dickens.

As far as boning a deer at high speed, you can end up dead or maimed. So be real careful if you ride in deer country, especially at dawn or dusk, or at night. Avoid riding at those times if you can, go slow if you must. Supposedly there are deer deterrent whistles that you can mount on your bike, but there are no supporting evidences that they work.

3. 357glocker

357glocker

I am certain a deer could ruin my day real fast! The main reason I ask is because a co-worker has told me a story where his nephew hit a deer at hwy speeds, split it in half and was able to keep the bike up. I've seen the damage they do to a car and just can't imagine the bike staying together much less keep it up after the impact....

Yeah those rain drops pelt you pretty good too!

4. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Read this...
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06101/681096-122.stm

He was riding a Kawasaki 1000 Police bike.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

There was also a recent post on a fellow that boned a deer and then got ran over by a car a few minutes later. The deer and the bike ended up on the side of the road while the poor guy was lying on the road. An unsuspecting car coming several minutes later didn't see him and ran him over.

A deer collision doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be killed. But hitting something that big on two wheels means that there's a really good chance of you getting messed up.

A fellow BMW motorist reported several months back that he boned a deer and screwed up the bike while he was asphalt surfing with minor scratches. I think that he was very lucky.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

http://lifeisaroad.com/deerkilling.html

Here's a story from a guy who hit a deer and lived to tell about it. I'm not going to copy & paste the article because there were a couple of bad words.

7. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Unmutual

I've hit a few Junebugs, but the worst was running into a hail storm. It was on Highway 30 in Indiana on the way back from AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio. No place to pull off, very little shoulder, no oeverpasses, low visability and lots of truck traffic. My choice was to either pull a couple of feet off the road onto a soft shoulder and stand there in the mud hoping that no one crashed into me/the bike, or ride through it.

Even with fully armoured textile and a full face helmet it smarted big time. A couple got me in the throat/neck and it looked like I had been making out with a vacuum cleaner. My oil cooler still has dings in it from that day. :frown:

Still, it's a hell of a lot better than a deer or car.

8. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

True dat.

9. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Honk Honk CLM

Whatever you do, don't put them on backwards! You will be chased down by deer:clown:

Ride safe

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I was about 14 illegally riding a Yamaha TW200 on a state highway. I was running about 80mph (top speed down a hill) and hit a bumblebee -- no helmet, square on the forehead. Felt like a damn rock!

About deer -- I was 18, '93 Yamaha FZR making the 1.5 mile home from a friend's party. T-shirt, shorts, sandals, no helmet. Showing off, I left and hit about 125mph before I had reached the highway. Just when the stop sign was in sight, a deer ran out in front of me. I had time to inhale very fast and wence. My front tire cleared the hind legs by about a foot or so. I stopped the bike, got off, and fell down because I was so scared. I know -- woulda served me right. I was younger and more stupid then...

11. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

I got hit by a bee just the other day. Riding down the road at a nice clip I felt the sting of a large bug hitting me in the crook of my elbow (you know...that relatively sensitive patch of skin). It always stings a little when you get hit by a bug, but this one kept stinging, and kept stinging. By the time I looked down to see what it was, the rest of the bee had blown off, but the stinger was left flapping in the wind. I thought to myself, "either you can keep going a couple more miles till there's a safe place to pull off while the stinger continues to flap around, or you can take care of this right now." So there I was riding down the road trying to remove the stinger with my gloved throttle hand. I know, I should have been wearing a jacket, but it was 95 degrees out and the mesh jacket I have ordered isn't in yet. I'm not allergic, but it swelled up pretty good so I just turned around and went back home.

12. Rexzilla

Rexzilla Hoosier

I HATE BUGS! Always wear a faceshield or fullface helmet!!!. I really don't understand Harley types who wear no protection. The bug factor in Indiana is high. I always notice how pot marked those faces of Harley riders are...LOL! They "be" bug craters!!!

13. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

I got a junebug too.

It was at around 60-70mph on my old Seca, riding down I95 to my parents's place. It was like The Matrix, where time slowed down and I could see the bug spiraling in towards me in slow-motion. It splatted against my faceshield (full face Shoei RF200) and it felt like a large pebble had slammed into my helmet.

The green goo obscured only a small part of the faceshield so I didn't have to stop and wipe it off. My MSF instructor always said wear a full-face helmet and this is another good reason why ... taking that hit with a 3/4 or Fritz helmet and sunglasses may have been very different.

14. 357glocker

357glocker

exactly how it happened:shocked: I've cringed at the thought of hail.

15. KeithS

KeithS CLM

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

A few months back there was a freakish weather front that moved into SoCal and there were rain, snow, sleet and hail at places you never thought would get them. I got caught in a hailstorm coming back from dinner. I was doing an easy 80 and the hails came out of nowhere. I simply slowed down and eased my way back. But a few caught my hands and stung pretty good through the medium-weight touring gloves. I also turtled my neck so that the exposed skin there wouldn't get hit but other than that with the full face helmet on and the heavy leather suit, I didn't feel anything but the weird drumming sensations of hails hitting against my covered head and body.

17. 357glocker

357glocker

I just figured I would cower down in the fetal position sucking my thumb on the side of the HWY:clown: Just kidding,...... I hope! On the down side to actually pulling over I'd hate to get the gas tank dinged up. How much do headlights normally run for the EX250 if I were to ride it out and crack it?

BTW thanks for the links above. I wish they would show them during MSF course. Really shows how a bad day can start in an instant.

Can you give me some advice? A few days ago I was turning a street corner (@15-20mph) and somehow some sand got there that wasn't there the day before. Anyway, I was at my desired speed to take the corner before getting into it but once on the sand (which caught me by surprise) my front slipped out then my back wheel. I kept the bike up by straightening up and going into the other lane. so say there would have been another car in the lane I had to go into. What would be the proper manuver to avoid hitting the car or lowsiding the bike? Normally I see a sandy corner before getting into it but I missed it for some reason this time.

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's kind of fun but the thought did cross my mind about the gas tank gets dinged from the hailing, so I stretched my body on top of it to block the hails. Riding leathers not only protect YOUR skin but your bike's skin too.:supergrin:

As far as protecting the headlight, there is a sort of heavy-duty transparency that you can stick on the headlight to keep it from getting damaged from gravel and such. Some even go as far as mounting some sort of mesh in front of their headlights.

At regular street cornering speed (15-20 MPH), if you run over sand then it'll make things a bit interesting (i.e. pucker factor jumps up a notch or five) but your bike should be able to regain traction without highsiding you or lowsiding you unless the lean angle is too extreme. Next time if it happens, just keep the throttle as is, keep the lean angle and let the tires slide a bit. They will hook up again and you'll go your merry way. If you either chop the throttle or accelerate THEN you may encounter more serious problems.

The main thing is don't panic and do something stupid with the throttle or the brakes and don't FIXATE on the road. Keep your head turning through the corner.

This sort of thing happens to me a lot because where I live there aren't any curb plus a lot of wind blows through so one moment the road is clean, the next moment there are sand gathered up at the corners.

19. 357glocker

357glocker

20. vantiger

vantiger

Bugs suck! I live by the Mississippi River, and the bugs are bad. We have mayflies out real bad right now. When you pull into parking lots you have be careful, them things are all over on the ground and it's like riding on ice.

One of my riding buddies hit a deer on his Road Glide. Him and his wife were ok, they had on full leathers. The bike didn't fair as well.

I have hit a raccoon on a Vulcan. Scared the heck out of me. I about hit a deer one night. I locked up the brakes and was about stopped when the deer hit my handle bars.

Be careful out there.